No announcement yet.

82 GS650E Build Brat / Cafe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok time to 'fess up. I made the seat pan,foam, and pattern for the seat cover. After my crooked sew lines, I taught the mother in law how to sew the pleats for me.

Comment

Diggin what ya done with the tank.....may be doin similar to mine, but wont be using a ball-peen, lol.....btw....a nice filler fer the deep stuff is called KittyHair or Tiger Hair.....its basically Bondo mixed with fiberglass fibers....works great for the deeper fills....gotta get it down to raw steel though....in those spots....after you do that, you can use the regular Bondo scratch filler to smooth....

I actually thought about building like wing type things onto my tank with the KittyHair....just for texture and to make it different....almost like downward spoilers.....

I downplay myself, but so many have told me I have a mega eye for design.....I dunno....I just start cutting and welding and painting....from my heart......if I dont like it, the 12 lb sledge comes out and I redo it.....

Comment

Originally posted by ddlaz View Post
        Ok time to 'fess up. I made the seat pan,foam, and pattern for the seat cover. After my crooked sew lines, I taught the mother in law how to sew the pleats for me.
        Well imo the foam smoothness and shape are the two hardest parts to get right. That and The proper shape for the cover so when stretched there are no wrinkles or bunches.
        The stitches are theoretically just decoration.
        You did good man.

Comment

Great work sir !...A.

Comment

Originally posted by ddlaz View Post
            Thanks. Homemade the hoop and seat except for the led light strip
            Great work sir !...A.

Comment

Originally posted by AichGee View Post
              Great work sir !...A.
              Ha. Thanks guys.
              Progress has been halted due to work and the warm weather. Now that it's getting colder, I'll probably be setting up the garage heater and tearing the bike down for the monoshock conversion and triangle clearing/electronics relocation.

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
                Well imo the foam smoothness and shape are the two hardest parts to get right. That and The proper shape for the cover so when stretched there are no wrinkles or bunches.
                The stitches are theoretically just decoration.
                You did good man.
                The trick was to use a heat gun to shrink the vinyl and take out the wrinkles. I sort of wish I made the seat pan out of steel so I could just weld fabric tabs. Instead, I used aluminum and aluminum rivets to hold the vinyl seat cover down.

Comment

Did you ever get the mono shock going? What ideas did you have? I was thinking of doing one on my gs750

Comment

Originally posted by ttfraz View Post
                    Did you ever get the mono shock going? What ideas did you have? I was thinking of doing one on my gs750
                    I wish! I haven't touched the bike since I put it away for winter. As with everyone and their projects, life gets in the way. Hoping to start it back up once ice fishing season is done.

I have some drawings that I can't seem to find right now.

Comment

getting back at it.
                      Got a mac 4-1 exhaust, velocity stacks, and dynojet kit on. Didn't get to do plug chops to tune the dynojet but it ran well. Just had to get that airbox off so...
                      Decided to start on cleaning up the triangle and relocating the battery.

Removed airbox and other electronics, before tab removal

outlines of the electronics to go back

Battery box. was going to round out the sharp corners but my dremel burned out and die grinder was nowhere to be found.

electronics box under seat. drew it up in CAD and printed it out on a 1:1 scale, then glued it to the aluminum sheet for cutting. mineral spirits removed the paper and glue afterwards.

Electronics mounted. I ended up opening the front and back of the box to let air flow through for the RR. The box has about a 1/2" reveal into the triangle. I reused the rubber mounting grommets from the battery box for some kind of vibration isolation. We'll see if this holds up.

The box AND the tall velocity stacks get in the way of the monoshock. It'd be a shame to notch the velocity stacks...but I should have figured out my clearance before buying the stacks. Oh well. I don't mind the box clearancing though as I can move the starter relay elsewhere.
                      I may just get the bike back together and ride for the summer and do the monoshock next winter/spring transition.

Next item will be the rearsets. Purchased a set of rearsets from a GSXR750(i think)...but the shift arm has many more teeth than the stock one(21). I've cut the shift arm and will be welding on a new arm with a 1" offset to clear the sprocket cover. The only thing I'll be using from the rearset is the peg. Will be reusing the heelguard/foot peg mounting plate. I want to retain the keyed foot peg off the gsxr rearset so I need to cut a keyway into this mounting plate. Again...dead dremel so waiting on parts to repair it.
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-22-2016, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Bike is 90% ready for the season. Haven't had much time to work on it due to husband/father duties.
                        Here is the daughter going "vroom vroom" on the bike.

Rearsets are on. the GSXR rearsets I bought came with the shift linkage but it was too long so I cut about 4" off and welded the halves back together. I lost the machined finish from welding so I just polished it quickly with the linkage on a drill.
                        Passenger peg was replaced with sportbike pegs that match the rearset pegs.

Can't see it in the picture, but I mounted an acewell 2856 on the top triple clamp where the ignition was. I bought a smaller 4 wire ignition switch and placed it under the tank. Made a bracket to use the horn mounting bolt for mounting the ignition switch. I mounted a separate switch to deter any hotwiring since I lost the steering lock-ability.

Replaced the rubber with Dunlop K70's and decided to polish the rim and star "faces" and painted the inner areas with a gold wheel paint.
                        May post more pictures once the sun starts to come out again.

20160512_185853.jpg

Comment

Picture from a couple months ago with older headlight and velocity stacks
                          20160522_204019.jpg

Comment

Rear shot with the K&N dual filters
                            20160714_175613.jpg

Comment

Working...
                            X