[boris.h]79 GS 550 / 673cc project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys!
    Waiting for parts for this end of week.. new footpegs, time-sert for the head... and thé right calipers, which could arrive today or tomorrow...

Comment

Comment

Dope build! I'm a hangaround that pops in once in a while so I'm excited to come across this build. Helps that I have a GS550 as well

Ps my 3D printer (Forgetech Kossel 2020) arrives on Friday

Comment

Yep! 3d printed parts help so much... I made other parts to mount my fairing on the bike. Picture coming soon.
          About 3d printer I will have the opportunity to try in few weeks the markforged first 3d printer for carbon fiber, kevlar and nylon... sounds perfect for motorcycle parts

Comment

Above, a picture of the 3D printed parts I made. The axes are those of the signal lights. I made also 3D printed parts as the new parts for the signal lights mounting (could see them on the picture)

Comment

Can't open your photos, Boris

Can you copy and paste the img code into your posting?
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Oh crap
                I use imagesia, which asks me everytime if I want to keep the pictures for later, I say no, I'll change that

But, about the last pic, I can see it, and you?

Comment

I can see it.
                  1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                  1983 GS 1100 G
                  2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                  2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                  1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

ok, thanks. I presume that they are still visible, for few days or weeks. I'll try to find another solution

Comment

Ok, the two lower cases are cleaned. I decided to not paint them. They are in very good state and full cleaned. I do not like painting mechanical parts because I already had some bad experience with that. I thought about peening them also, but I want to keep smg like a brand new - old - bike. So, no threatment on these parts. I ordered the last oil seals, so re-assembling will start by this end of week.

I want everything assembled on the bike before end of april, for the first start around the same time.

I will work on the fairing, assembling the bubble after having polished it today or tomorrow.

Comment

ok, so.... let's go!

Comment

Yesterday evening, because I'm still waiting for my oil seals, I made a first assembling of the engine on the frame and tried to fit the 600 gsxr exhaust. I already knew that it would fit with some minor modifications.

- remove the center stand --> ok. On the exhaust there is a threaded hole just at few mm of the center stand mounting plat, so I'll be able to use it with a adaptating laser cutted plate.
                          - bend / cut and weld the tubes in front of the head. There is not the same angle at the exhaust interface on the head, so There will be some work to do here, moreover to make the exhaust fit just under the frame.
                          - modify the big tube at the muffler interface because it hits the frame. I also have to move the muffler about few 20 / 30 mm closer to the frame...

And i think that's all. Why to fit a 600 gsxr exhaust? Because the ID of the tubes is 33mm (much bigger than the original all gs exhausts) and the tubes are already made in stainless steel.
                          Fist I wanted to cut the exhaust under the frame, and let it without muffler or anything. But I think I'll get such a screamer that a muffler will be compulsory to keep my ears in a good state....

Last edited by Guest; 03-25-2016, 03:45 AM.

Comment

hi guys
                            I'm planning to order a chain kit. It will be the gs 550 / 650 top end with carbs / velocity stacks and gsxr exhaust. Do you think that I have to order a 15 / 50 set, or a gs 650 15 x 45 set? thanks!

Comment

Hi all!

Some news, I assembled the two lower cases last night.... I think the engine (without the head) will be in the frame next saturday...

For some reasons, I bought some gasket sheet (to cut my own oil planar gaskets). I made a new gasket for the oil pan, and starting by a web picture, I laser cutted a new one... Here this is a first test with a paper sheet.

Comment

Working...
                              X