Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member looking at 2 GS850 to buy. Advice? Gotcha?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow I'm overwhelmed with the responses. Thank you all.
    Where to start. First of all I've done dozens of, I won't call it rebuilds, I call it re-vitalized bikes over the years. Mostly Honda and Kawaski but my first was a GS650 that I found for $250 that hadn't run in a number of years. I had to clean the carbs and put in a new R/R and Stator. It ran great and the guy I sold it to enjoyed many years riding it. That was in 2005. Well I sold it for $1500 and decided that this would be a fun way of making some extra money and I really enjoyed bringing one of these old bikes back to life. It also woke up my urge to ride again. I hadn't ridden a motorcycle since about 1981 (CB350) when I got married and started raising children. One of the biggest thrills I've had was when me and my 3 sons would go for a ride on bikes I've gotten running. Talk about gas station conversations where ever we went. At that time I relied on the GSResources web site for info and guidance. But not having owned a Suzuki for 10 years I quit checking in here until yesterday.

FYI basscliff's website is where I downloaded the service manual prior to buying these bikes. Before I buy a bike I want to know I can get a FSM. And I've used the carb rebuild tutorial noted. Suzuki isn't the only one to use CV carbs and consider myself pretty good with CV carb either Kiehn or Mikuni even TK (just can't spell them). Tons of really good advice on this site.

Yes I have a clean Missouri title for each of them. The guy had them licensed and titled and then just lost interest in riding. Wanted his garage cleaned out.

It's too early to say if I'm going to get them both running or have to part one out or even just sell one as it sits. I've never parted out an entire motorcycle and don't really want to start now. The problem I have is that I have 6 motorcycles now and need to get rid of some! It's getting pretty crowded in my garage...

As for rebuilding the carbs, the purchase included dozens of brand new O-Rings and float bowl gaskets. I'm sure enough to rebuild at least one rack of carbs. Plus the intake O-rings and new SS allen head intake bolts for the 850L model. He had lots of good intentions but I guess didn't have the time or skills to pull it off.

As I start evaluating and working on them I'm sure I'll have lots of questions which I will post under the appropriate "tech" forum heading. First thing I normally do with a new to me bike is see if it will run on starting fluid. After checking to see if t here is oil in the crankcase of course. If I hear all 4 cylinders run I know that at least I have a running bike and can start bringing them back to life. Then onto the compression/leak down tests and valve clearance checks/adjustments. Deal with the mechanicals first then fuel then brakes and suspension. When I'm done with a bike it will be safe enough for my kids to ride or I won't sell it.

Once again thank you all!

Comment

going through the boxes of stuff I got with them and found the fairing lowers for the L. Also found new SS allen bolts for the carbs plus all the O-rings I would need to rebuild both sets of carbs. He also had 16 bowl gaskets! I guess he didn't want to run out.

Comment

Great find!

cg
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Well I sold the 850L to a nice young man in St. Louis. His first bike! Did all of the below to the L before I sold it. I won't sell a bike that is not safe enough for my kids to ride.
          Now I have the 850G just about ready to start road testing.
          what I've done so far:
          1, new tires front and rear
          2. Carbs rebuil and synced
          3. New plug caps and spark plugs
          4. Fresh oil and filter change
          5. Brakes, front and rear, rebuilt MC and calipers.
          6. Lubed clutch cable and adjusted
          7. Lubed throttle cables and adjusted.
          8. Valve adjusted (one 2 out of spec)... I expected with 28k miles to have them all out.
          9. Sub trans and read gear oil change (Thank you Bikecliff)

Actually thank everyone on this site. Made the job a lot easier with your suggestions.

Comment

Working...
          X