Zagg's Project: '78 GS750E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
    Or, even better, none at all. Which raises the question in my mind - did one or both get into the sump? Did a PO not know or care? Buying them is a pita, as I can't put back something like that without the proper washers in place, and so it has to be OEM parts, not just what I can rustle up locally. Last pair of those I bought, because of a PO, cost me something like a ten spot inc postage - the annoying thing was, I found I needed them just after I'd already taken delivery of some other OEM parts from the same supplier. The actual cost of them was low enough and they could have been included in the immediately preceding parcel.
    Yeah, definitely. I'm the idiot camped out in the nuts and bolts aisle for 20 minutes comparing washer thickness trying to find the size that matches perfectly and eventually leaving empty handed.... Later paying 3 times the value of the washers in shipping.

Comment

Carbs assembled and bench synced! Picked up all but 2 of the necessary stainless hex cap screws for the crankcase cover. replaced intake boot screws with stainless from R. Barr and a couple for the starter cover as well.

Next STOP - Valve adjusting!
      Timing
      Air Box Sealing
      Petcock
      Calipers
      Master Cylinders
      Fuel Tank
      Wiring Harness
      Coil Test
      Stator Test
      Battery
      Battery Box Cleanup and Mount
      R/R Replacement
      Clutch Assembly
      Headlight Mount
      Seat Mount
      Signals, Brake Light Mount

And then addthet10thingsIforgotandtheadditional10-15miniprojectscreatedsimplybyunboltingandopeningth ingsupona37yearoldbikeand I'LL BE RIDING!!!

Comment

I have a couple questions for when this thing is ready to run...

1. Do I need to change stock carb settings for a V&H 4-1 before running it or wait until I have initial results?
        2. Should the airbox and exhaust be mounted before attempting to start and run it?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post
          Yes, one washer on each side. It's quite common to only find one though! Lots of people loose one or can't figure out where it goes so they just don't put it back in
          Here is as schematic of the assembly:

Comment

Yessir, thank you. The washers are back in place.

Comment

These little washers /shims on starter clutch can be tricky ,when I removed my stator cover 1 fell out bounced off flywheel went through a side hole in crankcase ,I removed sump to retrieve it. couldn't find it .nearly gave up thinking I must have imagined it had gone in sump but eventually located It stuck on top of a bit of crankcase webbing inside engine.Glad I kept looking as who knows where it would have ended up!!

Comment

Originally posted by cornishgs View Post
                These little washers /shims on starter clutch can be tricky ,when I removed my stator cover 1 fell out bounced off flywheel went through a side hole in crankcase ,I removed sump to retrieve it. couldn't find it .nearly gave up thinking I must have imagined it had gone in sump but eventually located It stuck on top of a bit of crankcase webbing inside engine.Glad I kept looking as who knows where it would have ended up!!
                I had the same thing happen to me. I searched, shook the motor, etc. Finally walked away for a day and there it was! I was afraid I would have to split the cases to find it!

Comment

Originally posted by Zagg View Post
                  I have a couple questions for when this thing is ready to run...

1. Do I need to change stock carb settings for a V&H 4-1 before running it or wait until I have initial results?
                  2. Should the airbox and exhaust be mounted before attempting to start and run it?

Thanks!

The airbox and exhaust need to be installed prior to starting. Looks like you already have a K&N style air filter, check to see if the main jets have already been replaced, ( I forget stock jets, 97.5? 102.5? someone will chime in) personally I would ditch it and put a stock air filter back in until you have it running perfectly, then you can begin the fun process of tuning carbs and replacing jets just changing to a 4-1 with stock airbox and filter does not require a lot of change, depends who you talk to.

Another good investment that no one has suggested yet is to get a Dynatek electronic ignition, best money spent, you won't regret it.

Dynatek Dyna S Ignition System. ATV Galaxy is an authorized Dynatek dealer located in Irvine California. Fits: Suzuki GS 550/750 1977-1978 "KD". Dyna S Ignition System is a complete self-contained electronic ignition system built with the latest state-of-the-art engineering.
                  Last edited by Guest; 12-30-2015, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by one_civic View Post
                    The airbox and exhaust need to be installed prior to starting. Looks like you already have a K&N style air filter, check to see if the main jets have already been replaced, ( I forget stock jets, 97.5? 102.5? someone will chime in) personally I would ditch it and put a stock air filter back in until you have it running perfectly, then you can begin the fun process of tuning carbs and replacing jets just changing to a 4-1 with stock airbox and filter does not require a lot of change, depends who you talk to.

Another good investment that no one has suggested yet is to get a Dynatek electronic ignition, best money spent, you won't regret it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dyna-S-Elect...-/380382026185
                    Awesome thanks. Yeah, the Dyna is on the list but unfortunately is not an option this time of year. Spring / Summer 2016 for $100+ upgrades unfortunately. I noticed the K&N. Didn't think it would make a difference but I will look into that.

Okay, so here is my noob question of the day: What is the jet number take from? Is this the diameter of the jet? What exactly am I measuring to determine my current jet size? Thanks for all your help!

Comment

V&H recommends jetting changes and some pretty significant ones when running their systems. You could probably get away with not making changes but if you get the motor running too lean you'll blue those headpipes right away.

Comment

Main jet. p/n 36

needle jet p/n 11.

Does anyone remember the p/n for gs1000 the vm28 Jet Needle?

Last time I opened mine up, that what was I was running, my 750 vm26's with a 102.5 main, stock air box and Yosh pipe. That's maybe a little overkill but he can at least start with the next main size up. Check your jets and compare to the many free service manuals from BassCliff here.

Last edited by Guest; 12-30-2015, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rudeman View Post
                          V&H recommends jetting changes and some pretty significant ones when running their systems.
                          That's not the way I recall it. Starting from everything stock:

1. Switch to V&H 4-into-1 - remove the airbox lid (no carb mods)

2. Switch to pods - rejet the carbs

Those were the instructions for my bike, and it worked out fine.
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

This is currently available installation/set-up sheet from V&H.

"GS750 2V -> Increase the main jet to a 115. Pilot Jet should be increased to a 17.5. The needle may need to be raised on notch (lower clip)."

Comment

Mmm...maybe it was the DynoJet instructions I saw.

And this is interesting: "The following jetting instructions worked well for our climate and elevation." I guess we all live in the same place.

What confuses me is that when I went from stock airbox to pods on my GS, (before I rejetted) it wouldn't run well until I taped over about 7/8 of the pods, yet when I installed pods on my Z1 many years ago (they weren't even called pods then), it ran fine without carb adjustment.

And again, when I blew the metal baffle out the rear on my Z1's pipe, it still ran fine.

I stand corrected on the V&H instructions.
                              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll look into this info ASAP.... I've got a little work to do before running it, but hopefully I will be there soon. Thank you very much!

Comment

Working...
                                X