No announcement yet.

Zagg's Project: '78 GS750E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, it has been awhile! I got a few more things accomplished late Winter / early Spring... Here are some pics....

Airbox cleaned up and painted. I left the covers raw until I finalize my color scheme. I thought I was positive on it, but it continues to bounce between three different ideas. I tried the weatherstripping to seal the airbox but it seemed like more trouble than it was worth. I will likely sell or trade this and use pods.

Comment

Vinegar did a great job on the rust...

Right side was in vinegar for a day or two..

before...

This is after 24 hours of vinegar and a wire brush

Comment

Paint station... Not proud of it but it works well for the small stuff.
        Last edited by Guest; 09-19-2016, 09:00 PM.

Comment

I have the front calipers broken down and paint stripped. I will post pics of those soon. Just scored stainless brake pistons from CrazyCloud so when I get those I can begin re-assembly. Still on the fence about paint. I wanted to go with a copper because one of the totes of parts had handlebar mirrors that were that color so I thought it would be neat, but I like the classic gloss black a lot. There is also this bike...

Owning a motorcycle near the beach in Sydney only has one drawback. The salt from the nearby sea ends up travelling around the streets searching for anything made of metal to slowly destroy – and it…

I don't like everything he's done with it, but I like the tank and the leather accents a lot. I would love to hear advice on color schemes.

Comment

I really like the brown leather handgrips and seats I see on bobber style cruiser bikes so the conflict is that if I go with leather it will mess up the copper scheme so then I bounce to either exposed metal with clear coat and brown seat / handgrips etc., or copper tank / calipers, black grips / seat.

Here are a few other reference bikes I like... This one is cool in gloss black, black rims, and white frame....

This one is really nice and simple but I like the clean look of the gloss black without accents. I really like the seat and tail also...

This site has some really cool scramblers... I not going to point out everything that stands out here just take a look...

My sense of "cool" for a bike does not include taking a 40 year old bike and adding $10k worth of modern parts. If it was born in 1978 then I feel like it should still look that way for the most part (paint, upgraded brakes and tires aside). This is simply my opinion and not meant to be a discussion starter.
            Last edited by Guest; 11-14-2016, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Will post pics this week. Painting front brake calipers, tank. Waiting on parts for caliper reassembly. Recent purchases: AGM battery, caliper rubber, new petcock.

Comment

Looking good. Now that my fair weather obligations are winding down, I'm looking forward to checking in here more often & getting back on my winter(s) project.

Comment

That pic of the bike you posted reminds me of the one in the movie Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                    That pic of the bike you posted reminds me of the one in the movie Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man.
                    Hey man! Glad to see you are back! I have been tinkering here and there, but have been spending more time working on the bike lately. Money has been my hang-up more than time.

Comment

Ordered the connectors for the SH-775 and the PC-8 fuse box from Eastern Beaver... Wiring will be next to try to get my beast runnin' before moving on to rebuilding the forks, rear brakes piston and master.

Comment

Picked these up from Frankenzuki...

Comment

I can't seem to find any pics of the finished brake calipers. I am currently working on the tank and then sadly my OCD is taking me in the direction of making my own wiring harness from new but we will see.

Comment

Interesting build you got going on there. I'm in the disassembly stage of my 1978 GS750 right now. Waiting on a friend to help lift the engine out and then I will sandblast and paint the frame. Then I can start putting it back together. Been trying to clean up, re-plate and rebuild parts as they come off so "hopefully" the rebuild goes fast. Can't wait to see how yours turns out. Keep up the good work!
                            Ron
                            When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                            1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                            1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                            1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
                            1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Rear

Comment

Front

Comment

Working...
                                X