No announcement yet.

GSX400E Project Suzzie.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As mentioned, you need to depress the top cap slightly to relieve pressure against the spring clip. I think you can do it using a large handled screwdriver. Be ready with a smaller screwdriver to dig the clip out of the groove as soon as you depress the cap.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

OK guys, thank you.

Comment

Reading more into then needed. Thanks guys.

I do not have a seal driver but have heard of using a socket, inverted, along with an extension to seat the seal.

Good or bad?

Comment

Everything apart on the right side. Yeah, they fight ya but I won. Need to clean and reassemble then the left side. Spring in spec.

Not going to run air. Book states 150 cc per side.

Comment

Can anyone tell me what size fork seal driver I would need? Having a heck of a time setting the seal without one.

Also, in the picture with the white basket I forgot which way the spacer goes. I believe it's sitting correct in the basket when you install it.

Comment

Will a piece of ABS pipe work? That's what I used for the seal install on my 1100.
              1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
              1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

I tried that but can't get the diameter I need. I ordered a adjustable seal driver.

I did did get the seal down but could not get the snap ring on. Needed to go further. I'm trying to get it out now and start over. Ordered two more seals. The damn thing just won't budge. Been on it all day. One seal. I'd be fired in a real shop huh?

I'm about ready to send them out for a rebuild. Should of done this in the first place.

Comment

Are you SURE they are 33mm seals?Got given a set of 35mm seals because an idiot parts guy though they'd fit.The proper seals slid right in.

Comment

I used OEM seals. Checked the part number several times. The saying "proper tool for the job" comes to mind here. I used a tire spoon with electrical tape for prying. On the opposite side I slit a piece of fuel line to pry against.

The old seal popped right out. I put the right fork lower in the freezer last night. Popped right out. I kept thinking what could I use to pry with? Dawned on me in the middle of the night. Could of saved a lot of frustration if I walked away earlier which is what I finally did.

New seals ordered, again, and a tool to install them correctly. With all the forks I have done, with the exception of the Ducati which I sent to Race Tech, I can't believe I never bought a seal driver. I'll have one now.

Sometimes I just get stupid, I'll admit it.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Last week I finished up the triple and added some new parts. Found new OEM headlight mounts on flea bay. Ordered up new top and bottom rubber mounts and trim rings.

Old.

New.

Installed.

Cleaned up the instrument area and mounted everything up.

I am amassing quite a few good used parts so if your doing a budget build and in need of certain parts I might have what you need. Small stuff, nothing big like exhaust, carburetors etc.
                      Last edited by Guest; 04-23-2016, 11:26 AM.

Comment

I couldn't find the "just right" size pvc pipe either so I took a piece that was slightly too big and just used a belt sander to sand down a couple inches on the end so it fit perfectly.

Comment

That will work.

Comment

Yea!

Fuel tank repaired.

Comment

On to the brakes..

Parts ordered for a cleaning, paint and rebuild. Makes no sense to do the MC, rotor and not the caliper.

Comment

Originally posted by Runeight View Post
                                Parts ordered for a cleaning, paint and rebuild. Makes no sense to do the MC, rotor and not the caliper.

See the caliper slide pin on the left....the one with the rubber sleeve?
                                Did you happen to find that part available for purchase? Just the rubber? They call it the "axle bushing" and it's been unavailable lately. Mine (and some others here) are swollen and won't slide freely in the bore.
                                Just curious if you found them?

Comment

Working...
                                X