78 GS1000 left for dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loose ends....

There's actually only a few hundred between them as far as the serial number goes...

Tank has metal rescue floating inside of it right now (jump started the process with some muratic acid) and the petcock has been rebuilt with factory parts...
    Taking fender to work tomorrow to paint (original paint is a tri coat, which is why it's a bitch to match...and why no one has a code for it...) I got some blue candy apple at work and going to mess with some gold pearl mixed with blue/black for base...then a bit of purple pearl sprinkled into the clear to get the right side tone color...
    We will see tomorrow how close I can get it...?

Seat is at a top and trim shop, getting the seat cover re shaped to fit the seat foam I carved out of original E model seat.
    Attached Files

Comment

What rims do you have on the other 78'?
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Interesting about the paint.
        I recently found out that my 1150 is a candy color- silver base, blue topcoat, pretty much dashing my hopes of touching up a couple of panels at home. It's at least available, but I hear the topcoat is tough to do in regards to getting the right amount on to match the existing other painted parts.
        I'd still like to try at some point. $33 per (small) rattle can x2 is a bit steep though.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Wheels are EPM magnesium.
          Front 19x2.5 rear 18x3.5
          I have another set restored for this bike when I rebuild it, that measure 18 front and rear with Kosman 13 inch rotors.

Comment

The fender I painted turned out just a bit too blue...there seems to be more of a green tint to the original color than I thought

try again next week....

Comment

I did a GS1000 that same color and was able to have it mixed in a simple base coat/clear coat system. It matched perfectly. I know Chuck continues to look for this color, unfortunately I used all I had and couldn't give him the left over. But I swear, it can be mixed.
              1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Larry, any chance the place you used would have a record of it from when you had it mixed?????
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

They mixed..SO..many colors for me, Chuck, I'm just not sure if they keep records of that or not. It was one of the last three bikes I did for OZ in Australia..and that's been over four years ago now. I just remember they had no problem mixing it and the color was right on the money. The guy who did those for me is a master at mixing, with many years of experience, and was able to compensate for any error in the scan..which may be why others have failed. He just knew what to do to get those colors spot on. He was able to do it as a single base coat, though.
                  Last edited by nvr2old; 11-12-2016, 01:40 PM.
                  1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Eating too much...

This is a long pointless story but...

I don't think I have ever had a bike I have had such bad luck with, as far as cleaning the gas tank/petcock.
                    The original tank was intensively rust filled...but I thought I would try to see if I could save it for a rat rod look.
                    I poured vinegar into the tank and let it set for several days, then I took it outside and shook the living !!!! out of it and loosened up what had been sitting. Sat it on my picnic table, and walked away for the rest of the day. I came back about 6 hours later and had about 35 or more holes ate through, and a picnic table covered in rusty vinegar.
                    Tried the same with this new tank I got, which had a slight amount of surface rust inside from sitting for several years. Poured some muratic acid in and shook it around and got the cleaning process started.
                    Poured the acid into a container then filled tank with vinegar to the top.
                    Sat the tank on top of the plastic container holding the acid...but somehow when trying to center the tank on the container....the container top caved in and 2 gallons of acid went on the floor....
                    Major freakin cleanup job...
                    Then today after finishing cleaning up the aftermath of the acid tragedy, I sat the vinegar filled tank on my picnic table as I realized it was leaking out of my petcock for some reason. Then seeing I also had about 3 gallons of vinegar that had drained from the tank onto the floor/carpet area.

So after emptying tank and finishing its final cleanup, I re cleaned the petcock... Took an air hose to blow it dry...
                    and blew holes right out of the obviously acid eaten aluminum....

Learn something new every day...

Things like this really make me wonder why...
                    ....I don't sell all my old crap and just get a couple new bikes....?????
                    Attached Files

Comment

Well that sucks for sure, but I was fearing the story would end up with another bad tank, or damage to the paint....
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                      -Rusty old scooter.
                      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Busa, bad things happen in 3s.
                        Now that the 3 tank sidetracks have occured it will be clear sailing to the finish line.
                        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Too close to slow down now...

Well the tank survived with no holes and paint still looks the same...it was a very solid tank.
                          Just a lot of crusty old gas and a bit of surface rust....and hopefully I've gotten the bad luck out of my bikes resurrection now...hopefully it's just 3 times
                          Although now I have to wait till I dig up another petcock somewhere and get it sent to me, before I can get the bike on its maiden voyage. That will give me time to go through carbs one more time, get seat back and on, go over brakes one more time...

...repaint fender...
                          ....and so on...

should be be ready for first snow....

Comment

Things like this really make me wonder why...
                            ....I don't sell all my old crap and just get a couple new bikes....????? It's not the destination, its the adventure getting there...
                            Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                            Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                            Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Yea....there are just some days I'm really not looking for adventure though...
                              NOS Petcock on its way...here by Friday
                              Pick up some new fuel line tomorrow
                              Hope to have my seat by Friday too, need to call to give them some momentum to get it done.
                              Then probably in the next few weeks I'll ship off my KYB piggyback shocks off to Japan, to get them rechromed and rebuilt with all new seals, oil, and internals.

Comment

Where did you find a NOS petcock?
                                A buddy had the KYB shocks from his sled rebuilt at this shop in Edmonton.
                                Apparently they have a great reputation in the motocross field. http://www.enzoracingcanada.com/
                                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                                X