No announcement yet.

1978 GS1000E Project by a Rookie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good thoughts loud et. We are justing cleaning up to inspect welds and start all of our mock ups. Definitely won't go to powder coater until all is fitting to our satisfaction. I have had bad/cracked welds powder coated before because we didn't get a good inspection done first. Are there any weak areas on these frames that people tend to gusset or brace on these bikes?

Comment

Does this look like a 80/81 1100E? Sellers seems a little unsure. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by erickson_ron View Post
        Does this look like a 80/81 1100E? Sellers seems a little unsure. Thanks
        http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-1981-GS...FXdqfb&vxp=mtr
        Yes, that's the one.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The tank you have is a valuable one... don't cut it up even if it's in ropey shape!
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

The 1100 tank on the same bike... bit more inspiration for you!

1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Anyway to clean out the crud lining or is it better to sell to someone?

Comment

SM
                I have a gs 750 and am unsire of the bolt spacing and offsets etc. re brake upgrade.
                I do know that 83-86 550 calipers bolt spacing is the same.
                I was thinking of a four pot tokico oem suzuki set. Hard to take the plunge on a pricy item without knowing if it can even relotely fit.
                1983 GS 550 LD
                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Good thoughts loud et. We are justing cleaning up to inspect welds and start all of our mock ups. Definitely won't go to powder coater until all is fitting to our satisfaction. I have had bad/cracked welds powder coated before because we didn't get a good inspection done first. Are there any weak areas on these frames that people tend to gusset or brace on these bikes?
                  No, these frames are not known to have bad welds or areas prone to cracks.
                  They factory welds do tend to be untidy. Sometimes a gap was left here or there in the weld and you could fill some of these neglected areas with some mig. They also have lots of splatter to knock off and sand smooth.

Comment

Frame and swing arm are back from the blaster and so far all looks really good. Some sloppy welds but everything looks solid with no previous damage. On with the grinding off the un-needed and welding on the needed. Starting to look like Christmas in July as parts start showing up each day. Sonic springs, Racetech emulator, DCC handlebars, All Balls bearings, and lots and lots of goodies from Motogadget.
                    blasted 7-13.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                      SM
                      I have a gs 750 and am unsire of the bolt spacing and offsets etc. re brake upgrade.
                      I do know that 83-86 550 calipers bolt spacing is the same.
                      I was thinking of a four pot tokico oem suzuki set. Hard to take the plunge on a pricy item without knowing if it can even relotely fit.
                      I don't want to jack this thread. Send me a PM if you want more info.
                      Essentially the answer is it's a lot of work to get it to fit & when you've finished it won't look very good & the clearances won't be very safe in my opinion. I've done that bit of research. The forks aren't really wide enough for opposed piston calipers.
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Frame and swing arm are back from the blaster and so far all looks really good. Some sloppy welds but everything looks solid with no previous damage. On with the grinding off the un-needed and welding on the needed. Starting to look like Christmas in July as parts start showing up each day. Sonic springs, Racetech emulator, DCC handlebars, All Balls bearings, and lots and lots of goodies from Motogadget.
                        There is some additional bracing you could add in a couple of areas to stiffen the frame. It's been posted on here a lot. With the S works shocks, 1100 Swinger, the cartridge emulators and better brakes the weakest link is now the frame flexing on my bike.
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

1100E tank cleaned up with citrus stripper real well. A couple of small dents is all to have popped out. Leading candidate for this build right now because of the unknown condition on my skunk tank.

20160722_195633_1469236736793_resized.jpg

Comment

The skunk re-paint is not coming off easily at all. Not sure what they used or if all the bond underneath makes it harder. Probably 5 or 6 coats of stripper at least to get to tank.
                            20160722_195653_1469236730502_resized.jpg

Comment

Engine has been disassembled and is at the machine shop getting bored for the 1100 piston kit before rebuilding. Looked pretty good for a 38 year old. Got a NOS stator cover to replace one that had been repaired with JB Weld.

thumb_image1_1024.jpg

Comment

That epoxy is a SUMBEOTCH to get off tanks. I gave up on a lot of stripper chems right off. In stead I have a good knife I use like a draw blade the pioneers used to debark logs. I rest the tank against my belly off the bench and systematically start drawing the paint off. I get as much as I can with the blade and then use KLEEN STRIP stripper. Once thats done I run the entire tank on the wire wheel on the bench grinder. lastly its a DA with 400 grit to smooth it all out. Takes a few hrs but its a heck of an awesomely clean and smooth tank when its time to prime.

Im up here in Norman OK if you ever want to get together give me a PM. Maybe I can take a weekend ride and come by too.
                                Last edited by chuck hahn; 07-22-2016, 10:03 PM.
                                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                                X