1978 GS1000E Project by a Rookie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS1000E Project by a Rookie

This is the starting point for my new project. I am new to this level of project so I am looking for lots of advice. I have read a lot of posts on front end upgrades and want to find a solution that doesn't change the existing geometry and allows for better brakes and clip-ons. If someone has a complete parts list of a workable solution please let me know. I do not intend on changing the swing arm. I have a set of water buffalo spoke hubs that I may use as well.
    1978 GS1000 Starting Point.jpg

This is the first picture of the tear down. I have found out that the tank I have is full of a nasty coating and the tank has lots of bondo. If anyone knows where I can get a tank or what other tanks will fit without modifications that would be a plus.
    1978 GS1000 Tear Down 1 (2).jpg

Comment

This is the inspiration I am using for the build. Love the stance just need to make it mine. Smaller front fender, custom side panels that fit in the triangle and very simple electrics.
      GS.jpg

Comment

Well, for the front end you can just buy clip ons for the stock forks or use clubman bars and do Salty Monk's brake upgrade. That will get you decent brakes and the bar position you want.

Mark
        1982 GS1100E
        1998 ZX-6R
        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Just for curiosity, what is your budget and what is your estimated time of completion? Good luck can't wait to see the finished product.
          My Motorcycles:
          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
          79 1000e (all original)
          82 850g (all original)
          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Overall budget is $8k plus the original bike. Hope to have it finished by Christmas. I have a guy in Dallas rebuilding the motor, tranny and clutch and that should be done by the end of August.

Comment

I would have sold you mine for half that.......

Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

That is beautiful. Did you do Salty Monk's brake upgrade or swap front ends?

Comment

Stock 78 forks, sonic springs with emulators and Saltys brake upgrade.
                  Rob
                  1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                  Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Well final first tear down as it heads to the blaster tomorrow so we can inspect welds, add bracing and take off tabs no longer needed. Any good info. on removing bearings from swing arm? I assume they are pressed in.

P1010192.jpg

Comment

Too many bikes not enough garage!

P1010196.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by erickson_ron View Post
                        Well final first tear down as it heads to the blaster tomorrow so we can inspect welds, add bracing and take off tabs no longer needed. Any good info. on removing bearings from swing arm? I assume they are pressed in.
                        I used a propane torch to heat the swingarm pivot tube, then knocked them out with a hammer and punch. If you use oxy/acetylene instead be extremely careful you don't melt the swingarm.

Too many bikes not enough garage!
                        I have 3 bikes in my garage in about half that space, my sympathy is pretty minimal.

Mark
                        1982 GS1100E
                        1998 ZX-6R
                        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Will a 1980 GS1000L tank fit properly without mods to a 1978 GS1000E frame?

Comment

Will a 1980 GS1000L tank fit properly without mods to a 1978 GS1000E frame?
                            Pretty sure the answer is no. A '80-'81 GS750/1100E tank is a direct bolt on though and they are somewhat available in the marketplace.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46484[/ATTACH]
                              Not saying you don't have a well thought out plan....but from my experience, I learned to wait a while before blasting and prepping the frame till you have all the new components designed and mocked up in place.
                              Some tab or bracket always needs welded on for some accessories or custom peice, or something ground smooth for clearance or fitmental.
                              Plus all the test fitting seems to bang up the new finish.
                              I know you only said you were blasting , detaining and inspecting. Just sharing that I learned don't be too quick to get all painted up pretty.
                              Looks like a great project, keep the pictures and progress coming.

Comment

Working...
                              X