Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1981 Suzuki GS650E Project or Money pit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 Suzuki GS650E Project or Money pit?

I have a Silver 1981 Suzuki GS650E that I purchased for too much ($475) that runs, but has obvious oil/carbon buildup on exhaust valves, and bike has been sitting for over 10 years in a mechanics garage.

Frame has minor surface rust, as well as most non-aluminum parts and hardware.

Missing alot of high ticket cosmetic items like the fork cover, original signals and headlight, frame covers, mirrors, seat is duct taped and rear seat cover is broken on left side.

Needs exhaust replacement/upgrade. Was thinking MAC 4 to 1 but also found a stock one on ebay with no holes but plenty of surface rust where it goes under crank case.
    Can anyone chime in on the value of a 4 to 1 for this particular bike?
    I don't really want to be in this thing more than $1000 (including bike) to get it inspected. Needs the following for this:
    - Brake rebuild (entire bike)
    - Exhaust is disconnected on left side under case
    - Mirrors
    - Horn works but signal wire is losing voltage somewhere

Currently have spent another $230 on odds and end things like:
    - replacement of the oil pan and gasket due to stripped plug ($45)
    - Stock USED fuse holder from similar model ($10)
    - Clymer's Manual($22)
    - New Chain and Sprocket set ($95)
    - front and rear master cylinder rebuild kits ($45, K+L)

Am I stuck with a money pit? I know you cant tell from one (upside down) pic.
    Hoping to get running and inspected, then do more detailed repairs/restoration this fall and winter.
    Should I worry about exhaust valve ports and oil on spark plugs?
    Attached Files

Money pit. Sell me the cylinder head and cylinders.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Money pit.

Fix the brakes, and ride it or sell it. Not another penny. My $.02.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

650e are pretty hard to find! Are you going to recoup your money out of the bike when you sell it, no. Buy a new bike for 10k, put 20k miles on it and sell it for half of the purchase price or put a $1000 in this one and have a nice retro bike you can sell after 20k miles for $1000, if you don't botch it up......
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Or just sell me the head.

Comment

Ship it to me in Oz - rare as hens teeth over here!
            Current:
            Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
            VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
            And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Money pit. I can't see you getting that back in shape for under $1000. If you're going to part it out I'd be interested in the tank and the seat pan if they're not rusted out.

Comment

Your not that far off. Get her back together and start riding. Yes, these old bikes take some cash but are doable

Comment

You are going to find a lot of other things that need to be done. Electrical, brakes, fork seals, wheel bearings, steering stem bearings, chain and sprockets, etc. I plan on a budget of $1000-1500 over the purchase price to get an unknown GS to the point I feel safe taking a 1000 mile trip on it. The newer or nicer the bike, hopefully the less you need to do. Or get used to calling for a tow.
                  sigpic
                  09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                  1983 GS1100e
                  82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                  1980 GS1260
                  Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by MechMessiah View Post
                    Money pit. I can't see you getting that back in shape for under $1000. If you're going to part it out I'd be interested in the tank and the seat pan if they're not rusted out.
                    How much do most people put into an old suzuki gs for a decent restoration using some non stock parts from aftermarket or other bike models? Because I have noticed the chain model is harder to find parts for.

Also, I'm mainly doing it now as a rideable but ugly starter bike and will have more down time in the winter to tinker with it.
                    Last edited by Guest; 07-28-2016, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Also, I left out mileage which is 25k, and was put on it most likely prior to the 10+ year storage.

What does that mean as far as engine life?

Comment

It's almost broken in.

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                          You are going to find a lot of other things that need to be done. Electrical, brakes, fork seals, wheel bearings, steering stem bearings, chain and sprockets, etc. I plan on a budget of $1000-1500 over the purchase price to get an unknown GS to the point I feel safe taking a 1000 mile trip on it. The newer or nicer the bike, hopefully the less you need to do. Or get used to calling for a tow.
                          A bike that's been sitting for 10 years is BOTH - a project and a money pit, and cannot be considered an investment where you're going to recoup your money. So the decision is - keep it and drop money in, as with any hobby, or part it out.

The $1000 to $1500 to get it running is a reasonable estimate IF you do all the work yourself.

Welcome to the asylum.

Comment

Also if you don't already own tools that factors into the cost. There's also things like carb cleaner, liquid wrench, replacing fasteners, and all sorts of other things that can nickle and dime you. I'm just doing a top end rebuild on my 650 and I've been keeping a spread sheet of how much I've put into just parts and so far it's around $600. I'm still not done either. That thing needs a whole lot more.

I'd recommend starting with a bike that's in better shape. Maybe if you can find another 650 keep that as a parts bike but other wise part it out and try to make some money back for a running bike.

Comment

I'd make it a project. Who buys motorcycles as an investment? I don't regret a dollar I have spent on any of my numerous bikes.

Comment

Working...
                              X