Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, wrong 4 word phrase!

Originally posted by JJ View Post
    Wrong! They have nothing to do with saving lives. Only idiots make that claim.

Loud pipes on a street bike aggravate people.

They make non-riders view all of us in a bad light.

They are obnoxious.
    tl:dr, Well, to each their own. Thanks for your opinion, didn't mean to offend.

Hey man, sorry if I pee'd in your cereal with that phrase, it was just an off-the-cuff remark about the new exhaust. Not that I need to self-justify or anything but I'll do it, just to help myself sleep a little better at night. I own three bikes, one of them a Harley actually (with V&H pipes)! All three of my bikes are stupid loud (the Ducati has a dry clutch so it always sounds loud and broken). I also live in a neighborhood with very nice families. So generally, I don't leave early or come home late, I push my bikes out to the end of my street before I start them if I leave anywhere between 7:30-8:30am, and with the way my neighborhood is set up, I can cut the engine off and coast all the way up into my driveway.

I understand a lot of people's gripes with obnoxious squids with their loud ass pipes and over-revving and all that, but I can also see how a loud bike draws attention while on the road. I sit in heavy VA/MD traffic for 2 hours everyday/5 days a week. Sometimes I ride in as well. So as a cage-jockey I've experienced enough times when I could hear a bike coming (most of the time, splitting) so that I can nudge my car slightly over to give them space. And as a rider, I've had enough people with cell phones glued to their hands almost cut me off that I was glad a loud pipe was heard (because they're sure as poop ain't looking). And yes, no amount of bright reflective gear will help you if the other drivers aren't even looking, but they might be able to hear.

Originally posted by BurntKittyForge View Post
    Couple things:
    -Loud pipe **MIGHT** save one's life. It's true ,out our way ,(Just noticed location).

I've been riding on 95N, in "faster" left lane, had a lady just change lanes right at me once.
    I just rolled all the way onto shoulder,
    slowed and let her get passed , cut back onto actual highway...(Then lane split on her, not out of spite though).
    That sort of thing is just "normal driving" here.
    Didn't get mad or anything because she just didn't see (or hear) that bike.
    It's just common.
    The WORST by far though is a little north in Montgomery county.
    It's as if (is actually) the entire place was designed specifically for just arrived foreign born people to work, go home, pay some taxes ,send some money home and do absolutely nothing else or care about anything else including learning to drive besides enough to somehow get to work and back home.

-"Non-riders view..." Non riders can eat a ....
    Unless it's me trying to sleep. Then a WoooM weeeeee RRRRREEEEE! followed by , "KaBOOM!" has me laughing.
    Then I think, "Crap, it's so late maybe nobody will help the guy"
    Then I went to look but by then there's already a cop car shining spot light into woods talking into loud speaker:,"IF your there you need to come out right away" Because the guy took off after smashing his GSXR into a crater in back of funny looking small SUV that decided to change lanes , just for heck of it right when the poor guy (returning from closing time at bar probably because 2AM) nailed throttle without enough experience to know better...

Cool project BTW!
    This type engine is cool loud when a loud Harley drives by in neighborhood for example anyway. Makes their bike sound like a really loud fart comparitively, the four cylinder w/ loud pipe sounds like a killer IMO...always funny to happen. Never gets old.

I'm ranting too too much, Goodnight!
    -
    First off, awesome forum handle! Secondly, man those MD drivers are something else! Yeah, our area is a bit dicey to ride motorcycles in. The suburbs and further out away from the city has some amazing country roads, but the metro area can be the wild west. I've had people merge into my lane, look up and noticed me, and then honk at me for taking up their lane?! Like, come the F on.

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    Maybe you don't know that webcamshafts.com has a list of cams for the 8V gs1000?
    They're a tease for me because they fit my 1100G too.
    That's crazy tempting, a new grind will have to go on the wish list. Thanks for the link!
    Last edited by Guest; 09-04-2016, 08:17 AM. Reason: I need to proof read before submitting.

Comment

Well, as an update to Tank-Gate, I found a really nice looking GS1000 (not sure model specifics but it looks exactly like an 'E') on the 'bay. After a week or so, the bid went from 300 starting and ended at 565+shipping. I lost out on it at the last minute. Then, I lost out on the GS1000 side panels with emblems too (not too hung up on that one) when it started at 102 and jumped to 270 shipped at the end. That's pretty crazy how much these old GS parts go for. I've seen GS1100 tanks NOS go for over a grand! That's bonkers!

Anyways, at this point I'm debating whether to hold out on another 1000E tank or try for an 80 GSX1100/GS1150 tank, but it's going to derail my budget by a decent amount. BTW, the GSX/GS1150 tank will fit on a 1000E frame with minimal modifications? There's a GS1100E/750E NOS tank on Ebay too but I'm leaning towards the beefier looking 1150 tank.

I'll save my old 1000E tank for a restore project down the line, apparently it's worth quite a bit, even if it's degraded some.

Comment

Originally posted by BasketCase View Post
        Well, as an update to Tank-Gate, I found a really nice looking GS1000 (not sure model specifics but it looks exactly like an 'E') on the 'bay. After a week or so, the bid went from 300 starting and ended at 565+shipping. I lost out on it at the last minute. Then, I lost out on the GS1000 side panels with emblems too (not too hung up on that one) when it started at 102 and jumped to 270 shipped at the end. That's pretty crazy how much these old GS parts go for. I've seen GS1100 tanks NOS go for over a grand! That's bonkers!

Anyways, at this point I'm debating whether to hold out on another 1000E tank or try for an 80 GSX1100/GS1150 tank, but it's going to derail my budget by a decent amount. BTW, the GSX/GS1150 tank will fit on a 1000E frame with minimal modifications? There's a GS1100E/750E NOS tank on Ebay too but I'm leaning towards the beefier looking 1150 tank.

I'll save my old 1000E tank for a restore project down the line, apparently it's worth quite a bit, even if it's degraded some.
        IF you stick around here, you could pick up/learn enough tips and info to make some $ back from the project, IMO. Awesome information tips.
        ...Not that I need to self-justify or anything but I'll do it, j...
        You're explanation is about EXACTLY similar to how I feel/ deal with,manage the bike noise.
        My MC before current one was a '95 Heritage softail with Vance & Hines "Long-Shots". Awesome sound, idle sounded like a bass drum beat...
        But when I see riders with loud Harley revving like their mounted on the "Mjolnir" of MCs I think, "Gimme a break" ,
        "Clueless still" .
        There's one guy in my neighborhood who's always shaking the windows late, even blasting music from his HD ...
        There was one guy (moved)with lots of chopper stuff with NO exhaust/ always loud, testing them out around these expensive houses with kids playing , just not that type neighborhood.
        I used to daydream about leaving a junk lawnmower w/ exhaust removed on his front step (running) at 3am OR pull up in front with exhaust removed from my F150 and just rev...like "what? I can't hear you my truck is soooo powerful. Just listen"

Oh, I used to do the roll in neutral w/ engine cut off perfect, BUT some bikes don't get proper lube (Clutch or gears(?))coasting very far w/ motor off ...

First off, awesome forum handle! Secondly, man those MD drivers are something else! Yeah, our area is a bit dicey to ride motorcycles in. The suburbs and further out away from the city has some amazing country roads, but the metro area can be the wild west. I've had people merge into my lane, look up and noticed me, and then honk at me for taking up their lane?! Like, come the F on.
        Thanks! My "handle" is due to my hobby of bladesmithing, long story.
        The words themself just Remind me of other deep stuff too.
        At a certain point dealing with these drivers/mentality here it's like, "Other peoples' opinion of me is NONE of my business" (LOL , twisted saying some, but )
        I gave up riding almost altogether when my children were very toddler/baby and that one strip was "jersey wall" both sides w/ huge potholes coupled with the traffic coming off W.W. bridge around 495...Made me think of my kids calling a different guy "Daddy" more than once.

I even heard one of the head guys of a well known (infamous(?) biker gang (for decades+) was killed in MC crash in/ near Montgomery county, when an old lady T-boned his bike (driving some bigboat I heard)...
        His artery in thigh was severed from the collision.

It was insane driving in traffic short time I lived there.
        Well, I work and home w/ kids while wife works mostly but maybe we'll be fortunate to cross paths someday. Cool to see a "Local" rider nearby!

Got more project pics???

Comment

No new pics right now. It's just a pile of parts waiting to be put on, another pile of parts off to powdercoater's and me staring at eBay postings about GS tanks.

I'm newly married with a fairly new job and about to be promoted so while I do look forward to kids I'm just glad I'm in the position to build a toy bike of this capacity.

Hope to meet you and some other folks on here in person as well.

Comment

I've had a lot of success with eBay in the uk and Germany

less ethanol based fuel issues and delivery has been cheap and fast

for example -

I got my big 1100E tank from Holland and it was in great shape
            78 GS1000C- Now sporting 1100E suspension and numerous goodies
            82 GS750E/82 1100E/ GSXR Frankenstein bike completed
            83 1100E "rescue bike" saved from the barn
            2008 Bking - Torque Torque Torque
            Next project slowly coalescing

Comment

This guy I've used twice - very happy with both parts and service

Comment

Will that fit a 1980? It doesn't even have the emblem holes. Is that a different year than the 80? Looks like a potential winner though.

Comment

Also: this is listed as an "F" but it looks like a GSX1100E/GS1150 tank.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Benzintank-Fuel-Tank-Suzuki-GSX-1100-F-/231890074776?hash=item35fdb9bc98:g:Qv0AAOSwQjNW9R1 w

Can anyone determine what specific model this is? It's marked as a 1100E, the petcock looks much different than the one on my tank but it's in the right location.

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Benzintank Benzinetank Fuel Tank Suzuki 1100 E at the best online prices at eBay! Free delivery for many products.

Thanks guys!
                  Last edited by Guest; 09-04-2016, 01:21 PM.

Comment

It's the euro spec 1100ET/EX tank - I have one as I do not like the smaller us tank at all

image.jpg

Comment

If you're tempted here's the decal kit too -

mines arriving in texas this week so I'll keep you posted about quality

Comment

Originally posted by bsharpish View Post
                        mines arriving in texas this week so I'll keep you posted about quality
                        Thanks sir, definitely keep me posted. I'm eyeing two of the tanks he's selling (the red GSX tank--which is 24 liters I believe, and the black with gold striped GS tank). I'd rather not risk taking delivery of something all the way from Germany without being sure but at this point, beggars can't be choosers.

As for the paint and decals, I've actually settled on a custom paint scheme (black with thin pinstripes of white, gold, and orange along the bottom). It'll be subtle but with a classic throwback somewhat.

Is there any chance of pictures floating around here of GSX tanks with GS tail and side panels? I just want to see how it looks mismatched like that.

Thanks again.

Comment

Tomorrow I'll fit a US spec 750E tank and the bigger UK Spec tank on the Gs1000 I just happen to have in the garage and send you some pictures .

Comment

Awesome, thanks a lot man!

Comment

Option 1 - standard tank

IMG_1312.jpg

Comment

option 2 - USA spec 750/1100 tank

fits and mounts but fouls carburetor tops slightly

IMG_1310.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X