again fouls carb tops slightly

IMG_1311.jpg
    78 GS1000C- Now sporting 1100E suspension and numerous goodies
    82 GS750E/82 1100E/ GSXR Frankenstein bike completed
    83 1100E "rescue bike" saved from the barn
    2008 Bking - Torque Torque Torque
    Next project slowly coalescing

Comment

I'd add its the petcock that fouls the carbs - everything else fits 100% straight
      78 GS1000C- Now sporting 1100E suspension and numerous goodies
      82 GS750E/82 1100E/ GSXR Frankenstein bike completed
      83 1100E "rescue bike" saved from the barn
      2008 Bking - Torque Torque Torque
      Next project slowly coalescing

Comment

Nice! Thanks for all the options man. I'm definitely leaning towards option 3. Larger fuel capacity won't hurt but I'll have to see if the petcock could be modified or maybe the top of the carbs. The ones on my GS already has a small nick in it thanks to the petcock so that might be something that's already been dealt with.

Thanks again for showing the different tank options! Big help for me for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by BasketCase View Post
          Yeah, I'll just say that so far, all in I'm out probably 7 grand, including bike. I'm certainly not going to ride the **** out of the GS getting knee down and scraping pegs. I've got a Ducati Monster 900 to hit the twisties on. The GS is more akin to a midlife crisis mobile. It's like those guys who spend Corvette money on Hondas, practical, no, but it's a goal and dream of mine.

I have considered dropping a Bandit 1200 motor in and get the frame braced but that's not high up on the list yet.
          If I thought about how much this is going to cost me, I would have never started. That's why I didn't started digging into GS's till a bit ago. Hit a deer on My Tiger 1050. Was out of work for 6 months and being in a wheel chair for only 2 months of it changed my outlook on many things. My old GS race bike had sat in the corner for almost 30 years and I almost E-Bayed it. The new bikes do everything better except get me excited about even looking at it let alone throwing a leg over it. Older GS's is what I grew up on and that's what I like and want. I like bikes with a personality, that's why I cant sell my Speed Triple and I am almost done Mod-stocking a 03 ZRX1200R. Your bike is sweet as hell. We need to talk! My next one is a 1100ES
          Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
          Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
          Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Thanks for understanding and sharing your own experience limeex2. Yeah, the value that modifying old bikes (or cars, or anything) holds kind of always supercedes logical reasoning for me. I've always loved most things 80s and I've always been on two wheels so a Suzuki GS1000 makes perfect sense (and because Kawasaki Z1s are astronomically rare and overpriced). Bikes make me happy, old school muscle bikes especially, and I'm OK with it not being the most practical of choices.

Life's too short to not indulge every now and then.

Comment

Originally posted by BasketCase View Post
              Nice! Thanks for all the options man. I'm definitely leaning towards option 3. Larger fuel capacity won't hurt but I'll have to see if the petcock could be modified or maybe the top of the carbs. The ones on my GS already has a small nick in it thanks to the petcock so that might be something that's already been dealt with.

Thanks again for showing the different tank options! Big help for me for sure.
              From my perspective there are few bikes that look as nice as a GS1000. Swapping out the OE tank with the OS model 750/1100 tank will really change the way it looks. I would stay with the OE tank. Just my opinion.

Comment

While I agree that the GS tank is great looking, I'm also partial to the GSX tank. I like the muscle-bike shape of it. I think it will fit in nicely with the overall theme of this bike. Plus I got it for a nice deal. If I ever end up fixing the GS tank, I'll eventually reconsider it.

Comment

Originally posted by rudeman View Post
                  From my perspective there are few bikes that look as nice as a GS1000. Swapping out the OE tank with the OS model 750/1100 tank will really change the way it looks. I would stay with the OE tank. Just my opinion.
                  While I agree that A GS1000 is a beautiful bike, one member posted a pic of one with tank of a 81 750/1100 tank that has the indents near the knee area. Looked VERY nice. I did'nt see the previous posts! I like tank option 2. I have a brown 78 like yours that's unmolested (for now) I have all the good GS1000s parts. trying to figure what direction to go with it
                  Last edited by limeex2; 09-08-2016, 08:10 PM.
                  Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                  Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                  Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Racefit

Racefit is a huge, huge influence for me so:

Comment

This had an 83 750 Petcock fitted to it from memory but I still needed to lift the back of the tank (took out the rubber top hat on the bolt & used some fuel line instead to move it up about 7-8mm) and grind a spare carb top a bit on the corner.

Don't know if it fits the tank but you probably want one of the low profile "prime with a screwdriver" petcocks fitted to the 80 GS550.

Tank without the emblem holes is a 1000S tank made for using decals.

I have 1 side panel (can't remember what side but I could look) and both emblems I could be persuaded to part with if necessary....

Oh & I got approx the same range as the stock 78 tank with this setup, maybe slightly less due to the angle (or maybe just the reserve tube was a different height, can't really remember).
                      Last edited by salty_monk; 09-08-2016, 08:25 PM.
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post

This had an 83 750 Petcock fitted to it from memory but I still needed to lift the back of the tank (took out the rubber top hat on the bolt & used some fuel line instead to move it up about 7-8mm) and grind a spare carb top a bit on the corner.

Don't know if it fits the tank but you probably want one of the low profile "prime with a screwdriver" petcocks fitted to the 80 GS550.

Tank without the emblem holes is a 1000S tank made for using decals.

I have 1 side panel (can't remember what side but I could look) and both emblems I could be persuaded to part with if necessary....

Oh & I got approx the same range as the stock 78 tank with this setup, maybe slightly less due to the angle (or maybe just the reserve tube was a different height, can't really remember).
                        Thanks salty_monk, the petcock I have on the stock tank has the screw-driver type knob. There's already a small gouge on the carb where the closer petcock screw touched it. This seems to be the lower profile petcock but it still perplexed me why the petcock would not sit well with the carb on the stock tank. Turns out, the carb might be a 1100 since the K&N pods I ordered specific to the 1000 did not fit (smaller) so I ended up ordering the 1100 pods and they fit perfect. The petcock also looked to be moved slightly on the tank as someone re-drilled the mount on the tank (badly). So maybe the original location caused even more contact between carb top and petcock?

Anyways, once the euro-spec GS/GSX tank comes we'll have to dry fit it to see where the problem areas are and adjust accordingly.

And I do have NOS GS1000E emblems (the gold ones) waiting for when the panels are resprayed.

BTW: does a GS750E tail section/rear light fit onto a GS1000 frame? I also like how the 750 side panels have their back section slanted to match with the frame spar instead of the square-ish 1000 sides. Just a curiosity as I like the up-curved 750 tail and the cleaner sides.

Thanks everyone for all the info and contributions, and even the differing opinions too. Lots of good info and help on here!

Comment

Small update: lower GSXR triple cleaned up for powdercoating.

Last edited by Guest; 09-09-2016, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Updates!

So, it's been a few weeks, figured I'd keep this thread somewhat alive.

Parts came back from powder coating, including swingarm, wheels, triple crowns, cooler mount, and a few other misc items.

The engine covers were also hydro blasted and polished, new polished stainless steel bolt set installed, and engine emblems as well.

Also, just today, the exhaust has been welded on with the angles sorted.

Next up on the list of to-do is a RCD/Racefit quick-filler for the new GSX tank with a filler tower welded on. After that, there's only paint, reassembly, and wiring (from the new more compact switches) left.

Bike is coming along quite well and the finish line is somewhat in sight! Super stoked and yes, she's going to be stupid loud!

Comment

More pictures:

Final angle:

Comment

Last one tonight:

Comment

Working...
                                X