No announcement yet.

gs1000g mild cafe build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headed over to my storage unit and took a look at the katana. Definitely with out a doubt the caliper is the same between the kat and vx, the rotor is a 4 bolt instead of 5 like the vx and gs500. So ill be on ebay looking for a good rotor and caliper mount and ill try to use the brake stay from the kat since its offset for the wider tire.. if i have too.. but i may be able to get away with clearancing the gs stay with a ball peen haha.. im wondering if im the only one whos committed to doing this kind of swap?? Ive not seen anyone else actually try it and its going to end up being bolt on and go.. for the most part
    I build Pipers

Comment

Gs500 is also 4 bolt. So vx800 rotor it is haha
      I build Pipers

Comment

Hey man I'm pretty stoked that you got a proper sized 17" set of wheels under that thing...

the thought just occurred to me that if you are looking for other options down the road and like wire spoke wheels, the GS450A (or GS450GA) has wire spoke wheels and is shaft drive. I'm not sure if the shafty parts between the 450 hub and the 1000G shafty assembly are compatible, but you could potentially have a workable fit there, & then lace up a set of Excel dimpled polished aluminum clear anodized 3.00x17 & 5.50x18 rims... or even a set of the budget ebay Chinese "supermoto rim set" and have a SICK look...
        if the Kat used 310mm rotors, 98-99 cbr900rr rotors bolt right to GS hubs and are 310 with a large 23mm offset like stock...
        Last edited by Chuck78; 03-14-2017, 05:42 PM.
        '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
        '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
        '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
        '79 GS425stock
        PROJECTS:
        '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
        '77 GS550 740cc major mods
        '77 GS400 489cc racer build
        '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
        '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Always wondered if the splines would match up with the older shaft drives to the newer Suzuki models....
          First I seen it done, looks much better than the original.
          I have a 4 bolt rear rotor off a GSXR400 that I have no use for....do a bit of cross referencing, and if it works its yours for shipping cost.
          Unless I misread, and you need a 5 bolt rotor...?

Yea....I guess you need a 5 bolt....let me dig around a bit....
          Last edited by Guest; 03-14-2017, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post
            Hey man I'm pretty stoked that you got a proper sized 17" set of wheels under that thing...

the thought just occurred to me that if you are looking for other options down the road and like wire spoke wheels, the GS450A (or GS450GA) has wire spoke wheels and is shaft drive. I'm not sure if the shafty parts between the 450 hub and the 1000G shafty assembly are compatible, but you could potentially have a workable fit there, & then lace up a set of Excel dimpled polished aluminum clear anodized 3.00x17 & 5.50x18 rims... or even a set of the budget ebay Chinese "supermoto rim set" and have a SICK look...
            if the Kat used 310mm rotors, 98-99 cbr900rr rotors bolt right to GS hubs and are 310 with a large 23mm offset like stock...
            The gs450a appears to use the same shaft drive assembly as the 650g so i think i read that the 650 and the larger wheels are interchangeable ?! But the 450 is drum brake which kills the idea.. shame too cause im a sucker for spokes..
            I build Pipers

Comment

Originally posted by busa1300 View Post
              Always wondered if the splines would match up with the older shaft drives to the newer Suzuki models....
              First I seen it done, looks much better than the original.
              I have a 4 bolt rear rotor off a GSXR400 that I have no use for....do a bit of cross referencing, and if it works its yours for shipping cost.
              Unless I misread, and you need a 5 bolt rotor...?

Yea....I guess you need a 5 bolt....let me dig around a bit....
              Yeah man 5 bolt, thatd be sick if you have one.. theyre obnoxiously priced on ebay..
              I build Pipers

Comment

So i got the proper sized katana tire on the new rim today, installed the katana rear caliper and mount and it works perfectly. I used the katana brake stay.. but its mounting flange is a little wider that the gs was so i used a washer to fill the gap. My only problem is that the brake stay is a tad shorter than I'd like and im not able to lower the rear which ineed to to dial in the rake and trail. Having the fatter rim and tire on the back feels really good so far. I didnt push it hard as its late, i dont trust the front tire, and need more seat time with this set up.. im very pleased so far
                I build Pipers

Comment

Also let me clarify with this rim... its not a direct swap.. there's some back woods ingenuity going on to get this to work, i had to shim the caliper mount at the axle on the right side (looking at it from the rear) and i had to shim the caliper its self to bring it left 1/8".. other than that it was pretty well bolt on and go..
                  I build Pipers

Comment

long way from where it started, huh?
                    I build Pipers

Comment

Try a GV1200 hub off a Madura...same set up for disc, and drive side looks interchangeable...now you have me thinking about a shaft drive to build....

Looks good the way you have it now also
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2017, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Id like to get a bit more extreme, and go with the gsx1100g wheel. But then ill definitely have to do some cutting
                        I build Pipers

Comment

Originally posted by busa1300 View Post
                          Try a GV1200 hub off a Madura...same set up for disc, and drive side looks interchangeable...now you have me thinking about a shaft drive to build....

Looks good the way you have it now also
                          Id be willing to bet that the ring and pinion has a longer gear ratio to compensate for the 16 inch rim and 115hp.. that'd be nice for me since im going to ride this thing all over and from vero to daytona quite frequently
                          I build Pipers

Comment

Im fairly confident that you could swap the madura wheel on, looks likr the gs brake system would work with that too
                            I build Pipers

Comment

24° and 3.89
                              Makes for a very confidence inspiring bike. Very flickable. But im gonna have to install my steering damper. Haven't had any wobble or anything but just want the added safety
                              Last edited by thebrandonbeezy; 03-19-2017, 07:37 PM.
                              I build Pipers

Comment

THAT is excellent! Very nice... steepening the rake also shortens the wheelbase slightly, extra bonus for more crisp handling!

I'm really curious about that wore spoke shafts drive rear wheel mentioned above now... one of those would go killer with a 4.25x17 rim in back and a 2.50x17 or 2.75x17 front....
                                Keep moving on this thing man, the progress is great!
                                '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                                '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                                '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                                '79 GS425stock
                                PROJECTS:
                                '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                                '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                                '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                                '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                                '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Working...
                                X