No announcement yet.

gs1000g mild cafe build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks. It still needs a lot of work. It will always be a work in progress. The rearsets are off a Busa. I had some custom brackets cut out of 1/2" aluminium stock and I used most of the factory peg mounts.

Comment

things are happening
      I build Pipers

Comment

My roommate out of no where was like heres this paint.. so i guess we're painting my bike blue
        I build Pipers

Comment

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post

things are happening
          *fap*fap*fap*fap*

Dang that looks good lol

Comment

Originally posted by gregp View Post
            I'm happy with the way my seat came out.... all aluminum cuz it's my preference and no welding cuz I don't weld.... yet. this seat is made of aluminum sharp corner channel (side rails) and 1/8"sheet for the pan and cowl. the seat foam was reshaped from the original foam and upholstered by a car guy next door. it mounts with a shaft up front that picks up where the original seat picked up and at the back I have some 1/4 turn fasteners for easy removal. if you are at all interested in more details I'm happy to share more about the seat construction.

Wow, that looks awesome. I like the side covers.

Comment

gonna need the factory gold pin striping to go with the blue and golddddddd haha
              I build Pipers

Comment

Originally posted by gregp View Post
                I'm happy with the way my seat came out.... all aluminum cuz it's my preference and no welding cuz I don't weld.... yet. this seat is made of aluminum sharp corner channel (side rails) and 1/8"sheet for the pan and cowl. the seat foam was reshaped from the original foam and upholstered by a car guy next door. it mounts with a shaft up front that picks up where the original seat picked up and at the back I have some 1/4 turn fasteners for easy removal. if you are at all interested in more details I'm happy to share more about the seat construction.
                Man.. that is sick
                I build Pipers

Comment

Too bad your so far away, I've got a set of tires that I'll probably never use that would work on that.
                  110x70x17 and 150x60x17....that front looks a bit worn for triple digit speeds...
                  I like the slightly burnt/well used patina of that bodywork...it's hard to copy that kinda look.
                  ....without a leaking gas tank anyway.....
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-02-2017, 06:23 AM.

Comment

I do too haha, it actually had green primer covering most of it and i cleaned it off with lacquer thinner
                    I build Pipers

Comment

Something thats been bothering me the entire time is lack of factory bracketry, so ive dug out the rear i cut off and will be sectioning it and re-installing so it will truly be as if it were a factory single seat bike. I hope. Haha
                      I build Pipers

Comment

katana front end on GS

I'm thinking about putting a '97 katana front end and the katana wheels and front brakes on on '79 GS1000e (chain drive). I have read about concerns with rake and trail changes messing up the geometry making for a wonky handling bike (in fact, there were posts that said ditch the katana upper and lower triple trees for lower and upper from two different mikes (I guess to get more rake & trail, closer to the GS geometry).

I haven't done any research nor taken any measurements but found this thread and wonder if you Brandon, have had this bike out yet for slow and fast rides.. I read from page 1 - 14 and then from the latest page back a few and see you no longer have the katana wheels or GS wheels.. are the current wheels 17"? and then what about the ride height for the front end (set with your sonic 1.1 springs?, free length on them?. what about rear height, did you swap shocks to set that>? sorry some dumb questions here.

thanks!
                        1979 gs1000e (everyday) 1977 gs750 for sale
                        1983 yam xj550 maxim streetbob sold
                        1995 gsx750F everyday fighterjet 1990 gsx1100F for sale
                        2000kaw zx600
                        2003 BMW K1200GT sport tour
                        2000Buel Cyclone M2 motorwork
                        1984 Yam venture xvz1200 -long ride/cold ride ride gf ride..
                        1978 Honda cb750F3 supersport top end (still)
                        1976 Harley FL 3/8" S&S stroker - motor out way too long
                        1980 Harley fxs80 - wacked good on this one

Comment

Well the front wheel is a 88 to 97 kat 600. The rear i used the adjustable shocks in the rear to dial in the rake and trail. Its actually about the same as a kat 600. So for a gs it feels very nimble and light yet i dont have any wobble untill well over 100. I intend to install my steering damper at some point. I used all of the kat stuff including the stock triples and bearings with the factory gs races. The katana cable will work on the gs cluster so you can use the kat speedo drive thats calibrated for the 17. The rear wheel i dont know how easy on the chain bikes is to swap but i know people have used the kat 600 wheel. Mine is the same dimensions as the kat @17x3.5. The whole set up works wonderful together. Great newer forks with old school looks, so they wont look out of place on the gs. Also you could set up the gs 19 on the kat forks with the gs speedo drive and it'll work fine. I did it. That'll give you geometry closer to factory gs but slightly more aggressive. Like an inbetween, you know? Anyways i hope i answered your questions, any thing else feel free to ask buddy!
                          I build Pipers

Comment

Also i haven't gotten around to installing the 1.1 springs yet
                            I build Pipers

Comment

Started makings the pan, this is only gonna be for a year or so till i can afford to butcher a nice oe pan and what not haha. Or sell it. Lol also the seat cover i found in one of the saddlebags so ill use it as the cover for now
                              I build Pipers

Comment

just about there..
                                I build Pipers

Comment

Working...
                                X