Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS850 G - Hopefully a winter Project

Ello there!

I used this site alot back in 2013 for guidance in ungunking the carbs of my ol 550, that's been sold, and stuff happened, and well you know.

Recently, I moved from Iowa, to Nebraska, and well laws are funny about moving firearms into Omaha. So I traded said firearms for a gs850g, that appears to be needing some love.

If I were a betting man, I'd say the stator or the rectifier is hosed, as it runs, then starts missing as it continues to run. Also it had these stupid Moxi Pod(s) as "air filters". Those are removed, and I'm creating a new air filter assembly using my 3d printer, and edelbrock 46311 air filter. The carbs have been gone through and appear to be working well

How big is the opening on the original air box? I wish to start there and adjust as necessary as an attempt to bring it back into tune.

And Pictures will come as it comes together

-IF I can get er all happy with life, I hope to modify the crap out of it and just have a lot of fun tinkering .

-Kevin

Images!

20161025_130201.jpg Apparently I can only add one image per post?

Comment

20161025_130244.jpgFrom the other side...

Comment

20161024_231610.jpgKind of the idea in my mind... or on paper...

Comment

First of all, welcome back.

Next, just so you know for sure, you do not have an 850G, you have an 850GL.

Most of the running gear is the same, but body panels, lights and instruments are different.

You can post more than one picture per post, but you have to use a hosting service.
          Many of us use Photobucket. From PB, just copy the link that starts with "IMG...", then paste it in your post.
          No extra buttons or icons to push, just copy and paste. Please add an extra press of the "ENTER" key between pictures, it gives a nice frame.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The air cleaner is coming along.

For anyone wanting to use an that edelbrock air cleaner and have access to a 3d printer, http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1866962 may be useful.

Also, the breather tubes http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1871903

I'm currently printing the right tube of the air cleaner assembly (its a bit rough as I currently lack a dremel). As soon as photobucket comes back up, I'll dump photos and link em here. I think its starting to look quite nice!

(I'll also edit this post for all the parts again, if anyone wants to print them themselves, or need to make an airbox replacement.)
            Last edited by Guest; 11-04-2016, 10:47 PM. Reason: Adding breather website link

Comment

ALL THE PHOTOS!

Lets see if this works better! Also, now this thing runs like a dream... now stopping... well ... new rear brake pads are needed.

Also guys, this gas tank is about four inches shorter than the mounts, any idea as to what its originally off of?
              Last edited by Guest; 11-07-2016, 10:28 PM. Reason: Photo edits...

Comment

Hello there,

I also recently bought a fully working GS850G 81. I am in the process of building a cafe racer from it.
                The previous owner had made some cafe mods, but it is not worth mentioning.

Would you mind sharing some of your tech modifications: the air filter looks a cool idea, I hate the cotton stuff that is on there now.
                3D printing looks cool too!!

Cheers.
                Nandy

Comment

Working...
                X