78 GS750 Yoshimura Resto-mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
    Have a look at page 2 of this thread from Chuck78.
    Slightly different cam specs but i think i see .006-.008.
    I hope i am reading that correctly.
    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...-specs-catalog
    Thats great thanks! I've been in contact with chuck and thats exactly what I set them to.

Comment

Got a ton of work done today, front end assembled, rear end assembled, headers and mid pipe on. Next up is to tackle the wiring and carbs!
      pics https://goo.gl/photos/gyGBY5QN3juKLrfP9

Comment

Muffler is on, had to cut part of the frame where the old exhaust used to mount in order for the Yoshi exhaust to fit.

Comment

Don't throw that frame elbow out.
          Just recently a member welded one back on.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

No worries there! I always seem to hoard parts that I'll probably never use.

Comment

She's alive! Got the wiring and carbs in over the weekend, fired up pretty easily. Still need to sort out the proper jetting over the next week or so and doing some other minor adjustments before getting it saftied.

pics https://photos.app.goo.gl/NfSGu31iBPSgFAXz2

Comment

Have you measured your rake and trail?
                I build Pipers

Comment

Congrats, Matt.
                  That rear brake line looks a bit loooong?
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
                    Have you measured your rake and trail?
                    I haven't yet. suspension and brakes will be the next thing I tackle! I plan on swapping out the swingarm for the 1100 aluminum box swingarm and probably a bandit 1200 front end.

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                      Congrats, Matt.
                      That rear brake line looks a bit loooong?
                      Thanks! And yeah it is, unfortunately ordered one that was too big, I'll have to swap it out with a shorter one in the future

Comment

Just got back from my first break in ride after fixing the shifting issue. The engine pulls like nothing I've ever experienced, still need to mess with the jetting in the mid and low range but my main jet selection feels about perfect (107.5).

Comment

your really restricting your bikes potential with the stock vm26's and airbox, if you need some help, send me a PM
                          Last edited by Guest; 08-02-2017, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Just the stock VM26 that came with the 750. Although I know this Yoshi Topend previously had Mikuni RS carbs on it.

Shims. Intake: 2.80, 2.75, 2.75, 2.75
                            Exhaust: 2.70, 2.65, 2.70, 2.80

Comment

your gonna need bigger carbs, you can use the 34mm CV intake manifold rubbers from any of the 8v gs bikes, you could then use Canadian 85-87 gsxr750 Mikuni Vm29ss flat slides, re-space the throttle linkage shaft to have both outer carbs moved in 1mm for exact spacing. And convert it to centre pull instead of the stock left side pull.
                              All these parts are available as well as the o-rings,

Last edited by Guest; 08-10-2017, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by one_civic View Post
                                your gonna need bigger carbs, you can use the 34mm CV intake manifold rubbers from any of the 8v gs bikes, you could then use Canadian 85-87 gsxr750 Mikuni Vm29ss flat slides, also you can machine and re-space the throttle linkage shaft to have it moved over to use your stock push /pull throttle cable and not have it hit your tank, get some K/N's too,

All these parts are available as well as the o-rings,

http://www.cycleorings.com/
                                Thanks for the advice! I'm definitely looking to do something along these lines in the future, I imagine that this stage lack of airflow is the limiting factor to making more power. Especially with the ported head and Yoshi Cams.

The hard part is finding these carbs for sale. A friend of mine has some VM28's for sale, would those suffice?
                                Last edited by SpecialK; 08-02-2017, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X