No announcement yet.

Norwegian 1979 GS500E restoration.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought this electric ignition conversion kit to get rid of points. Not fitted yet.
    B14B7574-F9E0-4145-8397-DFAA1DDE5A8A by Kenneth H, on Flickr

2A35CF2E-54DD-465D-8590-D1DEB589BB9F by Kenneth H, on Flickr

Had the bike for import approval, all good except for the smallest oil leak on the right fork.... so I bought two new seals and dust covers for the forks and new thicker oil. Worked really well and was a bit easier to fix than I feared.
    95494AEB-7AAD-4084-B38F-07C270BDD4E7 by Kenneth H, on Flickr

Also I found out that the stator did not charge while driving. So I bought a new one(on the picture it is the old stator) and a new rectifier. Apparently previous owner fitted an rectifier from another bike, Kawasaki, and some dodgy wiring too that got fixed. Measured voltage as per workshop manual
    specified: 5000 rpm and 14,25volt. Anything between 14 to 15 on 5000rpm is good.
    963DBB12-B4B2-485C-8D74-DA6A13A24B5B by Kenneth H, on Flickr

Then finally i found the small hobby paint brushes and paint the letters on the badges that goes on the sidecovers. Needs a top clear coat. The 3D printed badges will never be perfect but better than just having one tired original one.
    7344CE50-D1F1-4A25-B065-0EE095E8D329 by Kenneth H, on Flickr

Comment

Did some further polishwork on the left side as I was not happy with previous work I did on it. Better now.

629A6025-6455-4C4F-86FF-FC8B547BC369 by Kenneth H, on Flickr

0FE54324-2E4E-4EB1-9851-A30326C47EFA by Kenneth H, on Flickr

14E11E78-2B2B-4FDB-8049-1147AEEF6AB4 by Kenneth H, on Flickr

Comment

Looking better!
        Are you riding it, or just polishing it?
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

So smooth, I need to get polishing too.
          GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
            Looking better!
            Are you riding it, or just polishing it?
            As of now just polishing.... lol. This bike is an import. That means i gotta show the bike to the dmv(i think you call it? Or was that in Britain??) I did that a few weeks back and they checked the bike and papers i got. All good except the smallest oil leak On right fork. Changed seals on both forks and oil. Sadly due too Covid 19 things go veeeery slow at dmv. Also gotta order appointment with them online and waiting list that is ludicris. New appointment with them tomorrow. Then it will pass. Next thing is to pay up some tax and order a license plate and order a new appointment to pick the license plate up. If i am lucky i can be driving the bike in little over a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
              So smooth, I need to get polishing too.
              Thanx but don’t do it lol!! So much work and more work ahead as i gotta Keep it this way too 😂

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny View Post
                Thanx but don’t do it lol!! So much work and more work ahead as i gotta Keep it this way too 
                Ill just ride down to Stavanger with a case of beer and have you do it

I want my bike to look better, I am so pleased with polishing the axle on the rear (it being rusty annoyed me a lot).
                GS1000G 1981

Comment

Ill just ride down to Stavanger with a case of beer and have you do it

I want my bike to look better, I am so pleased with polishing the axle on the rear (it being rusty annoyed me a lot).
                  Ha ha that beer sounds like a good plan 😂

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny View Post
                    Ha ha that beer sounds like a good plan 
                    Did you get that oil sweating from the filter cover fixed? And could you tell me about the salty monk brake thing?

I think you can reorder the licence plates from the vegvesen.no site, and have them shipped home, so you wont have to wait for an appointment. Might remember wrongly though. I believe they can be reordered even while sitting at the DMV. Also, at least here, if you knock on the door and seem sufficiently desperate they will usually let you in (depends a little on who answers, one of them is so strict).
                    GS1000G 1981

Comment

Did you get that oil sweating from the filter cover fixed? And could you tell me about the salty monk brake thing?

I think you can reorder the licence plates from the vegvesen.no site, and have them shipped home, so you wont have to wait for an appointment. Might remember wrongly though. I believe they can be reordered even while sitting at the DMV. Also, at least here, if you knock on the door and seem sufficiently desperate they will usually let you in (depends a little on who answers, one of them is so strict).
                      Yes the oil leak from filter is no longer a issue. The Salty brakes, well, those parts are stuck somewhere in the Usps system due to Covid i think. Guess i’ll have to wait some more weeks..... the tracking for it makes little sense too. I could have had the license plates yesterday. Sadly "skatteetaten" had and still have issues on their Website for the tax payment solution. I need to pay one tax AS it is imported, "vrakpant". But they at dmv called me up again today and said i could Come on monday if i get to pay the tax in the weekend, then they will help me getting the license plate asap.

Comment

Got my licenseplates this monday and I have been driving it every day. A couple of minor hickups.One wire that broke resulting in no ignition/spark. LED bulbs and LED taillight messing up, now removed and thrown in the bin were it belongs.

I took the original tail light and modified the ducktail a little bit so i could push the taillight one inch or so back in the ducktail. Looked so much better in my opinion than both the led setup with custom red lexanplate, and original it just sticks out too much.

47669DE4-2447-4C67-AB0A-2A7F1871EC78 by Kenneth H, on Flickr

37B471FF-AC9C-4128-A88E-2105DEAEAAD5 by Kenneth H, on Flickr

Comment

I think I saw posts from your ride on facebook.

Did you punch holes in the licence plate or use a holder? I hate the bolts theough mine.
                          GS1000G 1981

Comment

I think I saw posts from your ride on facebook.

Did you punch holes in the licence plate or use a holder? I hate the bolts theough mine.
                            i drilled holes and use bolts. These plastic holders does not look good on old bikes in my opinion. That’s just me.

Comment

And Salty Monks brake kit with Ninja calipers arrived today

9E9C033F-396E-4AF6-92AD-6018D914BDA6 by Kenneth H, on Flickr

982CB0D5-9F2E-4BC4-A50D-87518CF713D8 by Kenneth H, on Flickr

Comment

Enjoyed a late night trip yesterday.
                                31145921-8050-4F67-9110-38552D62825B by Kenneth H, on Flickr

And bought these second hand rotors to fit Salty`s brake kit.
                                144734EF-4B15-4EE0-B7A4-4D49911CFB66 by Kenneth H, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X