No announcement yet.

JohnnyL's 1980 GS550L Cafe Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those parts look real nice. Be warned, though..matte finishes look really nice..for awhile. I'm assuming it's been sprayed with a matte clear..? It's really difficult to care for..you can't wax it.
    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
      Those parts look real nice. Be warned, though..matte finishes look really nice..for awhile. I'm assuming it's been sprayed with a matte clear..? It's really difficult to care for..you can't wax it.
      Yes it was matte clear coated. Yes I know. My wife’s Vulcan is matte green. I use Harley Davidson matte finish stuff on her bike to clean it. I asked my painter if I could bring it back to him if I decide I hate the matte after a year and have him gloss clear and he said no problem. So we’ll see.
      1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
      1980 Suzuki GS550L cafe project Link
      2019 Yamaha MT-09
      2016 Honda CBR650F(wife’s bike)
      2001 Honda CBR600F4i(Son's bike)

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyL View Post
        Yes it was matte clear coated. Yes I know. My wife’s Vulcan is matte green. I use Harley Davidson matte finish stuff on her bike to clean it. I asked my painter if I could bring it back to him if I decide I hate the matte after a year and have him gloss clear and he said no problem. So we’ll see.
        Through a motorcycle mechanic, I've learned about some local universal cleaner/finisher/whatever-spray which helped me tremendously caring for matte finished (but not exclusively) parts on my Guzzi. The manufacturer simply calls it 'multispray'...having quite the no-frills approach (their target audience are farmers).

It leaves an ever-so-slightly residue (I'm guessing silicone?), which makes matte parts look very good, and helps a ton with subsequent cleaning.

I'm almost sure it's some rebranded product of an international manufacturer. I'll post the ingredients and more info when I get to the shop...
        #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
        #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
        #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
        #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

I'd be curious to know what that is Roeme.
          1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
          2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

The new Dyna ignition will be here tomorrow but so will 1-3 inches of snow. That's ok though. I still have some tidying up to do on the bike before it takes its first ride.

Last edited by JohnnyL; 02-12-2020, 04:53 PM.
            1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
            2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

The blue wig-wag signals are a very nice touch.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                The blue wig-wag signals are a very nice touch.

Those are on there so I can trail it over to your house and drop it off for you to figure out the jetting Steve.
                1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
                2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

Looks very good with that paint scheme. Now to get it running equally as well.
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                  '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                  '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                  '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                  '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

The new Dyna ignition will be here tomorrow but so will 1-3 inches of snow. That's ok though. I still have some tidying up to do on the bike before it takes its first ride.

Before andybody moans about repeating the whole lot just to add one line, well - meh.
                    I think it deserves it. Sex on a stick, mate. Cracking job.
                    Excellent, fast build, too.
                    And.... it's not a hack-job, it looks just right.
                    There you go, damned with faint praise

ps. if it were mine, I'd deffo have some sort of curving extension to catch more of the crap from the rear, but your reg plate will do that.
                    Also, I'm not a fan of severely truncated front guards, but if you can live with it, fine.
                    Last edited by Grimly; 02-12-2020, 11:00 PM.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Is it a wide angle lens distortion or is the brake led not level with the bike frame?
                      1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                        Is it a wide angle lens distortion or is the brake led not level with the bike frame?
                        LOL...good eye. I removed it last night and reapplied it because it wasn't level at all.
                        1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
                        2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

I received the new Dyna ignition today. I installed it and all burping and farting is gone! Bike idles nicely and throttle is fairly responsive. All carbs are synced and I went back to the stock pilot jets. Right now I have 107.5 mains in. I think my mixture screws need to be adjusted. Engine is a little slow to return to idle but not bad. It also drops below 1200 after releasing the throttle. I'm currently 3 turns out. I'll mess with the mixture screw first and then look at raising the needle.

All in all...I'm relieved that the bike is now close to running well and that I can now start tuning the carbs. Phew!
                          1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
                          2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

I received the new Dyna ignition today. I installed it and all burping and farting is gone! Bike idles nicely and throttle is fairly responsive. All carbs are synced and I went back to the stock pilot jets. Right now I have 107.5 mains in. I think my mixture screws need to be adjusted. Engine is a little slow to return to idle but not bad. It also drops below 1200 after releasing the throttle. I'm currently 3 turns out. I'll mess with the mixture screw first and then look at raising the needle.

All in all...I'm relieved that the bike is now close to running well and that I can now start tuning the carbs. Phew!

Excellent!

I was honestly getting near the point where we'd start Googling for witch doctors. Maybe see what a quart of goat's blood runs these days. All the usual rituals damn sure weren't working, so maybe it was time to call on some darker spirits.

This is the second bad out of the box Dyna I've seen.

The first may have been even more elusive -- the owner had a 1979 GS850G, installed a Dyna, but the bike would lose power after riding for a bit.

Yet whenever we stopped and tested, we had spark nice and bright and on time. This went on for weeks. I think the owner actually started going bald. Carbs were surgically clean and scrutinized down to the molecular level. Electrics were perfect. Yet summer was passing and he couldn't ride for more than about five minutes.

One day it was getting late in the year and it was very chilly. We tested everything in his barn, all seemed well, then we went for a ride. Sure enough the bike started losing power again... but I noticed that he had gotten a little further than usual.

Hmmmmm.... a tickle started at the back of my brain. And as usual, by the time we pulled over, pulled helmets and gloves off and restarted the bike for testing, all was well.

Finally the penny dropped. The light dawned. Little angels sang. However you want to put it, I finally had a rational theory to test. I removed the ignition cover, leaving the ignition out in the brisk 49 degree breeze. We rode to the next town and back with no trouble.

Yep, one side of his Dyna was failing when it got hot. When we kept it cool, it worked fine.

He contacted Dyna directly, explained the story, and to their credit they replaced the ignition with no trouble. "Yeah that happens sometimes."
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

JonnyL pulled one over on us, guys. That's not the same bike he bought ~3 months ago. It must be stolen or something because it got done way to fast and looks way too good...

- 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                              - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
                                JonnyL pulled one over on us, guys. That's not the same bike he bought ~3 months ago. It must be stolen or something because it got done way to fast and looks way too good...

Too bad it doesn't run worth a shyte. I pulled the carbs off and meticulously rebuilt them in the course of about four hours. Found a small tear in one of the diaphragms. Replaced it with one of the eBay carbs that had a good one. Checked all float heights meticulously. Thoroughly looked at all the jets. New o-rings everywhere....Put carbs back on bike and #1 burps through the carb. #2 isn't running. I left the pods off just to be able to watch the needles. It won't start unless choke is on and I put my hand over 3 & 4 carbs to suck fuel. Then it runs with the choke on but at about 4000 rpm. Fudge! I am about to throw this motherfudger in the trash. I don't know what else to do. I give up. I'm at a total loss.
                                1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
                                2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

Working...
                                X