No announcement yet.

JohnnyL's 1980 GS550L Cafe Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You mentioned that you will be using clip-ons. That leaves no issues for you to just run them up higher in the triples. In my opinion, it will add to the "cafe" look of it. Plus, if you ever feel the need to change the ergonomics, or handling geometry, you just need to adjust it. Cutting the springs down is tedious, and absolute.
    '83 GS 1100T
    The Jet

sigpic
    '95 GSXR 750w
    The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
      You mentioned that you will be using clip-ons. That leaves no issues for you to just run them up higher in the triples. In my opinion, it will add to the "cafe" look of it. Plus, if you ever feel the need to change the ergonomics, or handling geometry, you just need to adjust it. Cutting the springs down is tedious, and absolute.

Thanks Spyder. Where in NW Indiana are you from? I grew up in Valpo.
      1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
      1980 Suzuki GS550L cafe project Link
      2019 Yamaha MT-09
      2016 Honda CBR650F(wife’s bike)
      2001 Honda CBR600F4i(Son's bike)

Comment

On the forks, most of us toss the impossibly soft stock Suzuki springs right away and move to straight rate springs.

As far as the correct spring rate, that depends on your weight, preferred riding velocity, and the bike's weight.

In your case, you should be able to retain stock fork travel and just pull them up in the triples a little depending on available clearance between the headers and fender; not sure how low you want to go. I'd probably just start with that.

However, if you do decide to reduce fork travel (very likely not needed, and definitely not recommended for handling) then you may need to make some spacers for the damper rods and increase the spring rate.

What are you planning for the rear suspension?
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          On the forks, most of us toss the impossibly soft stock Suzuki springs right away and move to straight rate springs.

As far as the correct spring rate, that depends on your weight, preferred riding velocity, and the bike's weight.

In your case, you should be able to retain stock fork travel and just pull them up in the triples a little depending on available clearance between the headers and fender; not sure how low you want to go. I'd probably just start with that.

However, if you do decide to reduce fork travel (very likely not needed, and definitely not recommended for handling) then you may need to make some spacers for the damper rods and increase the spring rate.

What are you planning for the rear suspension?
          That’s some good info Brian. I will definitely check out Sonic.

i purchased some cheap rear springs early on in the build because they looked cool and well...they were cheap. Lol. I wasn’t sure what the caliber of the build was going to be at the time. I’m not sure these springs are going to worth a hoot now. They do look cool though. Any suggestions? I mean...I’ve got an insane amount of money in the bike at this point so I might as well spend the dough on some decent rear shocks.

00CF9387-4B39-4D8E-8803-1A3E7D14A0A1.jpg
          1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
          2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

If you want to keep the piggyback look you might consider sending those ones off to CL Moto.
            He has several levels of refurbishing them into quality shocks. Different springs, valves and oil.
            CL MotoTech - Chris Livengood Motorcycle technologies specializes in motorcycle suspension specifically for vintage and twin shocks motorcycles.

Another option would be to check out Hagon USA.
            MANY options.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
              If you want to keep the piggyback look you might consider sending those ones off to CL Moto.
              He has several levels of refurbishing them into quality shocks. Different springs, valves and oil.
              CL MotoTech - Chris Livengood Motorcycle technologies specializes in motorcycle suspension specifically for vintage and twin shocks motorcycles.

Another option would be to check out Hagon USA.
              MANY options.
              http://hagonshocksusa.com/
              I think I might send them off to CL Moto and have them rebuilt. Seems like a good option. Those Hagons are pricey!

As far as the Sonic Springs go, how do I know what spring rate I would need? I'm 5'9" and 165 lbs. There are four options.

1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
              2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

I know next to nothing about tuning suspension, but according to Sonic Springs website, you'll need .90kg/mm based off a few assumptions I put into their calculator. Here's a link http://sonicsprings.com/catalog/calc....php#calculate
                - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyL View Post
                  Thanks Spyder. Where in NW Indiana are you from? I grew up in Valpo.
                  I am in the Knox area. Not too far from Valpo, maybe 25 miles?
                  '83 GS 1100T
                  The Jet

sigpic
                  '95 GSXR 750w
                  The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

So I figured out where a good chunk of the money went. LOL....I pieced together the handlebars today. I am pretty happy with how they look. For those interested in where to purchase any of these parts, here's a list.

CRG Arrow Bar End Mirrors: $216 (for two) Here
                    Rizoma Sguardo Bar End Turn Signals: $154 (for two) Here
                    Biltwell Chocolate Thruster Grips: $18 (for two) Here
                    Biltwell Aluminum "Whiskey" Throttle: $100 Here
                    K&S Start/Stop Switch: $32 Here
                    K&S Universal Street Handlebar Control Switch: $80 Here
                    Aluminum Shorty Levers: $41.30 Here
                    Woodcraft Clip-Ons: $170 Here

Last edited by JohnnyL; 12-18-2019, 01:42 PM.
                    1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
                    2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

I think I'm going to consider the frame ready for sandblasting and powder coating. I'm wanting to drop it off to the powder coater before Christmas so maybe they can get to it while I'm gone on Christmas break.

I decided to fabricate a little mudguard for the rear tire since I won't be running a rear fender. This will also give a place to tuck some wires and the fuse box. I also got the battery box made and there is also room under the seat hump for the starter solenoid. The new Compu-Fire reg/rec will be mounted on the underside of the seat pan where it will get plenty of air flow.

I have purchased everything I need to get this bike done except for the stainless steel braided brake lines and I can't purchase those until I figure out what lengths and fittings I will need. The only thing I am waiting to receive is the new EBC front brake rotor.

I still haven't figured out what I am doing with the gas tank. Ideally, I'd like to find someone that can dish the sides of the tank for me. This requires someone with a hell of a lot more talent than I have and someone who can tig weld. I haven't decided if I am going to attempt to paint the tank myself or have a guy down the street from me that paints IndyCar helmets for a lot of the drivers. He said he would paint it for about $500 but he doesn't do any bodywork. I would have to give him the tank ready to paint. The front fender will be cut down to about 12" in length and painted with the tank.

I hope you all have a Happy Holiday and I will be back to post more when I get the frame, wheels and misc. back from powder coating. In the meantime, I may post some pics of the brake calipers. I plan on stripping them down, painting them and then rebuilding them.

1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
                      2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

I dropped off the frame, wheels and some other bits with Indy Powder Coating today. They said it will be 3-4 weeks before it’s done. In the meantime, Bwringer is going to be helping me with getting the wiring ready so I can hit the ground running once the frame is back. Fedex brought me my Firestone vintage tires today and I got notification that the front rotor will ship Monday. I really wish EBC made a rear rotor to match.
                        1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
                        2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

I hope everyone had a good Christmas! I was able to sneak out to the shop for a bit and get the brake calipers stripped down and painted. I first painted the calipers with high temp primer and then painted them silver. After painting them silver, I cut a Suzuki logo out of mask and then painted the calipers red. Came out pretty good!

1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
                          2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

I'm not a big fan of red, but you did a REALLY nice job on those.
                            '83 GS 1100T
                            The Jet

sigpic
                            '95 GSXR 750w
                            The Rocket

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                              I'm not a big fan of red, but you did a REALLY nice job on those.
                              Yeah...I'm not real sure I like the red either but I'm going to run with it. I'm hoping it contrasts nicely with the black mags. I was hoping for a brighter red though.

I was able to get the rear caliper put back together but I need to order a new rebuild kit for the front. Apparently, I ordered a rebuild kit for a 1981 and there is a difference between the 80 and 81.

1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
                              2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

Brakes calipers are all rebuilt. Headers are wrapped. Gas tank is at the bodyshop having minor dents repaired and tank badge recesses filled. Frame and wheels are still at the powder coater. Hopefully I will be picking the frame and wheels up from Indy Powder Coating later this week. The tank will be prepped for paint later this week and then I will be dropping it off to Corby Concepts to get painted.

This waiting for the frame at the powder coater is killing me. I can't wait to start rebuilding this thing!

Last edited by JohnnyL; 01-05-2020, 01:22 PM.
                                1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
                                2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

Working...
                                X