JohnnyL's 1980 GS550L Cafe Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
    Nice job! Reminds me of the times I single-handedly swapped engines on a Camaro and VW Beetle. Lone wolfs rule!
    Ha! That doesn't even sound right. Did it drive backards? Would love to see that thing!

Originally posted by chris View Post
    Hi, I don't think you need a ignition switch, you could put a m-lock rfid fob into your m-unit ignition input like I did or just leave it as is. I highly recommend the cable kit because it is metric and color coded. The wire size will be exact for your switches and m-unit. The color coding makes installation like paint by numbers, I did not need to make a wiring diagram. Don't forget to use ferrules on the wire ends. Your bike is looking awesome.
    Good advice! After spending $445 on the M-Unit and M-Button, I couldn't bring myself to spend the $78 on the wire. I might as well though I guess.

Originally posted by ste gs1000 View Post
    Looking very nice indeed 👍😁
    Thanks!

I got tired of waiting for my son to help me get the bike on the lift so I dragged it on there myself. I'm sure my back will thank me tomorrow for my impatience. I made some headway today. Bike is shaping up! I wish I had the wheels. If I did, I'd have a roller. Oh well. Plenty of other things to work on.

Rear swing arm is installed. Installed new bearings.
    Rear brake reservoir is installed.
    Rear caliper and torque link bar are installed.
    New steering stem bearings are installed.
    Steering stem is installed.
    New Terozzi Rearsets are installed. However, the shifter linkage is going to need some tweaking.

Really looking forward to having Brian Wringer over tomorrow so we can get a jump on this wiring!

Malik was no help in putting the engine in or moving the bike!

1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
    1980 Suzuki GS550L cafe project Link
    2019 Yamaha MT-09
    2016 Honda CBR650F(wife’s bike)
    2001 Honda CBR600F4i(Son's bike)

Comment

Impressive.......
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Yes, very impressive work on the restoration. Nothing like having your own "brand new" old bike. Of course you realize that it will have to make the trip to Bedford in June.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Looking good!

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Thank you for the breakdown on the costs of the powder-coating.
            Those numbers are in the same ballpark as i have been quoted. Especially when they add the extra attention to detail in masking off areas....i don't think they are overly pricey.

I'm figuring Malik's skills are more in line with security as opposed to lifting.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
              I'm figuring Malik's skills are more in line with security as opposed to lifting.
              While Malik is certainly intimidating looking, he's not much of a watchdog. Wally, the ten lbs. maltese poodle, is the security and the boss of Malik.

1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
              2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

So I am making some headway on the bike. I'm actually running out of things to bolt on at this point. I'm running into a few small issues.

1. I need some different length braided stainless steel brake lines. Need to order those.

2. I went to bolt on the air filter pods and the two outer ones won't fit. The frame is in the way. Any suggestions? They're APE air filters and they said these are the ones I need.

3. I currently have 340mm rear shocks on there but since I am lowering the front end by 1", I figured I better lower the rear by 1" so I ordered new 320mm shocks

4. I'm not happy with how the MAC 4 into 1 exhaust looks. It's just too much pipe. I think I am going to order a reverse cone 18" stainless shorty quieter core exhaust from Dime City Cycles. Also, the exhaust doesn't even seem to fit right. It's rubbing on the frame. See pics below.

5. The new Dyna Coils will not just bolt on. They're too fat so I am going to have to fabricate some sort of offset plate.

6. My new Acewell gauge hits the top steering stop on the steering tube. I'm either going to have to cut a little off of the steering stop or fabricate a new bezel plate for the gauge. Not a big deal.

7. I posted a question somewhere on here about the Tarozzi Rearsets. I wanted to buy them from a company here in the US but they said it would take 6-8 weeks and they only fit European models. He also stated that people have tried to make them work with no success. I don't know what he is talking about. I ended up ordering a set from Disco Valante somewhere over in Europe and they arrived within 10 days. The brake side bolted right on with no problem. The shifter side is going to take a little tweaking but it's not going to be difficult. The linkage from the pedal to the shift rod is just a little too long.

8. The headlight bracket that came with my headlight is junk so I am on the hunt for a new bracket.

Last edited by JohnnyL; 01-11-2020, 04:17 PM.
                1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
                2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

Holy smokes am I a dummy. I had the shifter side foot peg mounted upside down! Haha! I can confirm that the Tarozzi Rearsets do indeed bolt right onto a 1980 GS550L.

Upside down

​Rightside up
                  Last edited by JohnnyL; 01-11-2020, 04:19 PM.
                  1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
                  2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyL View Post
                    Holy smokes am I a dummy. I had the shifter side foot peg mounted upside down!
                    Good thing you found that before you shortened the linkage.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Uh....you wouldn't be able to lean if you left the rear set like that!

Thanks for the pics and narrative...lookin' good!!!

Ed
                      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                        Uh....you wouldn't be able to lean if you left the rear set like that!

Thanks for the pics and narrative...lookin' good!!!

Ed
                        Haha! I know right!? I sat on the bike and realized that one foot was lower than the other and more forward. I was ticked that I was so dumb but elated that it was going to work without any effort. They are folding pegs so if I ever lean too far, the pegs will fold right up. But if I lean that far....I'll be ready for Moto GP. LOL!
                        1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
                        2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

I was hesitant when it came to paying $300 for the Tarrozi rear sets for my GS1000S..until I got them, and with no modifying what-so-ever, they just bolted right on..and to this day, 10 years later, perform flawlessly. A quality product for sure.

Your bike is looking real nice, I always look forward to updates.
                          1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

I didn't get much time today to work on the bike. Too many other priorities got in the way today.

I just stood in front of the bike to try and figure out this exhaust. No matter how or what I do, this stupid passenger foot peg section of the frame is in the way. I can't believe I'm thinking of doing this after powder coat but...I'm considering cutting these sections of the frame off. I think I can do it and leave a little section of pipe sticking out that I could put a decorative aluminum spindle on the end of the pipe. Picture like a bar end weight on handlebars. The aluminum barrel would have a stud that goes into a rubber cork with a nut and washer on the inside of the pipe. Tighten the aluminum barrel and it would squeeze the cork tight inside the stub of frame tube. Any other ideas? I don't really need that section of frame. I thought I was going to be using the passenger foot peg to bolt the exhaust on but it just doesn't line up right. That bassoon of a muffler just sticks out so far and it still rubs on that section of frame. Even if I went with the reverse cone, it would still hit the section of frame that I'm thinking of cutting off.

1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
                            2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

I think you will also lose the center stand stop if you do that.
                              Ron
                              When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                              1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                              1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                              1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
                              1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
                                I think you will also lose the center stand stop if you do that.
                                True but I’m not going to be using the center stand.
                                1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
                                2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

Working...
                                X