No announcement yet.

JohnnyL's 1980 GS550L Cafe Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you made any other alterations to the frame? If you have, lop it off.
    Maybe you could cut it with enough meat left so it could be welded back on at a later date?

This has been a great follow, Johnny.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
      Have you made any other alterations to the frame? If you have, lop it off.
      Maybe you could cut it with enough meat left so it could be welded back on at a later date?

This has been a great follow, Johnny.

Yes...numerous alterations. The whole rear end was cut off and then a seat hoop was welded in. I can’t see ever wanting to weld it back on. I’m just bummed I didn’t think to do it before it was powder coated. If I cut it off, I just need to make it look good so it doesn’t look like an afterthought.

I appreciate the feedback. Sometimes I feel like I’m talking to myself.
      Last edited by JohnnyL; 01-11-2020, 10:42 PM.
      1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
      1980 Suzuki GS550L cafe project Link
      2019 Yamaha MT-09
      2016 Honda CBR650F(wife’s bike)
      2001 Honda CBR600F4i(Son's bike)

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyL View Post
        You're thinking out loud...and sometimes people respond. This project is coming along nicely and at your pace...which makes it all the better when you complete this project.

It's good to reference your thoughts at a later time...and people are reading and following along.

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyL View Post
          Yes...numerous alterations. The whole rear end was cut off and then a seat hoop was welded in. I can’t see ever wanting to weld it back on. I’m just bummed I didn’t think to do it before it was powder coated. If I cut it off, I just need to make it look good so it doesn’t look like an afterthought.

Yeah, i have been following along and knew that frame had altered for your seat. That was more a generic response for anybody else that was thinking of cutting their frame for the first time.
          Don't sweat if if sometimes you don't get a lot of feedback for a post. There are a lot of us following without your skills and have nothing to offer.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

How bad is the muffler clearance issue?
            Back in the day I had clearance issues with a set of headers going onto a car. A header pipe fouled the steering shaft. I laid a wooden ax handle across where it needed to be clearanced and whacked it with a lump hammer. It left a nice uniform indent... problem solved.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

So I got out to the shop this morning and did some tinkering.

I've resolved the coil fitment issue with some simple aluminum tubing.

I tidied up the new Dyna spark plug wires with some cushion support clamps purchased from the hardware store.

I installed the new LED tail/brake/turn signal light.

And lastly, I broke out my cordless band saw and wacked off the passenger foot peg part of the frame. I left stubs so that I can come up with a way to put a decorative end on the those. I ordered these bars ends pictured below to see how they look. For right now, I have some black plastic caps on the stubs. I have to say, with that portion of the frame gone, it really cleaned up the rear nicely. Most importantly, my clearance issue seems to be resolved. I am going to try this bassoon of a MAC muffler and see how it sounds but I'm not sure I like the look of it. Also not sure I trust the crappy clamp they provided with it to support it without a tie back of some sort to somewhere. I have my eye on this stainless steel 18" "Quiet-er" reverse cone muffler and stainless steel muffler clamp from Z1. Can't bring myself to spend the $179 on it just yet.

1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
              2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

Very nice work! That muffler may not look so big once you get the rear wheel on it! Love your attention to detail.
                Ron
                When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
                1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Well, nevermind then.

With the black caps there it mostly hides in plain sight.
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I like the solution you came up with. Those caps look good. Can't tell staring right at them. Adding something else may draw unwanted attention to it. Hmmm, Just had a thought. I wonder if a 16ga, or 20ga shotgun shell would fit that hole? a little gorilla snot (weather stripping adhesive) to glue them in? Could be a cool look. Other than that, a little sealant on the caps you have on it would ensure the won't fall off, and you're done with it... Can't wait to see this bike with the painted skins back on it. And the red calipers look a lot better than I expected them to. I think you should keep it.
                    '83 GS 1100T
                    The Jet

sigpic
                    '95 GSXR 750w
                    The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                      I like the solution you came up with. Those caps look good. Can't tell staring right at them. Adding something else may draw unwanted attention to it. Hmmm, Just had a thought. I wonder if a 16ga, or 20ga shotgun shell would fit that hole? a little gorilla snot (weather stripping adhesive) to glue them in? Could be a cool look. Other than that, a little sealant on the caps you have on it would ensure the won't fall off, and you're done with it... Can't wait to see this bike with the painted skins back on it. And the red calipers look a lot better than I expected them to. I think you should keep it.
                      Holy smokes!!! I absolutely love that idea! It might just be that sinister look I’m going for! I might have to break out the old Mossberg and head to the range to spend some shells.

Just picked up the wheels! Wait till you see these things!
                      1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
                      2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

I picked up the wheels today from powder coat. I can't believe how good these things look! Like better than new! I don't know that the pictures will do it justice. I'm going to cut a thin red vinyl ring on my vinyl plotter to run around the outer edge of the rim. For now I am going to get busy assembling the wheels with new bearings and bolt the new rotors on. I'm going to attempt to mount the tires but mounting motorcycle tires is not my strong suit.

I forgot to update you on my meeting with Bwringer last Friday. Brian came up to my shop to check out my build and start discussing wiring the bike and the M-Unit. It was great to meet Brian and what a great guy! Very knowledgeable on motorcycle wiring and obviously a hardcore rider. He gave me a list of things to buy and we will hopefully begin wiring the bike this weekend. I'm anxious to see this Motogadget working and even more excited to be one step closer to firing the bike up. I'm going to post some links to some YouTube videos here so you can see some of the amazing things this M-Unit can do.

Because the M-Unit was an afterthought, I needed to find a place for it. Ideally, it should go under the seat cowl but I had designed the battery to sit there. After staring at the bike this morning, I decided to do some re-arranging. I'm going to move the battery box underneath the seat, move the reg/rec on top of the mud guard thingy I fabricated under the tail and now the M-Unit can go under the seat cowl as it should.

1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
                        2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

So the back wheel is assembled and installed with new bearings. I don't know that I am going to attempt to mount the tires. Last time I attempted to replace a tube on a motorcycle tire, it ended in failure. Plus, I ordered some rim savers and they won't be here till tomorrow. I think I am just going to take them to the local motorcycle shop tomorrow(not open on Mondays) and have them do it and balance them. They do balance them right?

Since I decided to use stainless socket cap bolts to secure the rotor, I can't use the locking tab straps like the ones on the stock bike. With a drill press and a little patience(I think I've mentioned, I have none) I drilled holes in the socket cap heads. Two broken drill bits later, I had all six bolts drilled. I then used safety wire to secure the bolts from backing out.

1969 Honda CL350 Cafe
                          2019 Yamaha MT-09

Comment

Nice safety wire job!

Project is looking great!!!

Ed
                            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

The spots of blood on the brake rotor are a nice touch. Safety wire always seems to demand sacrifice...
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

beautiful work
                                1983 GS 550 LD
                                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
                                X