No announcement yet.

82 GS1100E Mr Turbo Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assuming the turbo doesn't grenade itself and/or the motor on the dyno, I'll not be restoring to stock, though I have the parts. So I need to get off my behind and start thinking of hocking the bits I have, which are new takeoffs - carbs, full pipe set, wheels, air box assembly, cams plus lots of other good stuff. But how to arrive at fair price? I think I'll look at sold items in eBay for a starting guide. I will post here first and give the best deal I can. I expect pretty high demand for some of the stuff.
    Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
    '79 GS100E
    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

There’s a new member Matt looking for cams. Not sure if yours are what he needs or not but here’s the thread.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Yeah I saw that but thought he had it sorted. Asked if he's interested anyway.
        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
        '79 GS100E
        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Bike still at the tuners, I'm anxious to get it back but good things take time I guess. In the meantime, for another project (my two free GL1100 Goldwings) I bought a 15L ultrasonic cleaner for $170 from Kaiezen (link). I hope it's not a scam or takes 3 months to get here, but I checked the site out as best I could and seems legit. I figured the bigger the better! It looks just like the ones I see on Amazon and eBay for around $330. Hope my frugal nature doesn't burn me this time like it has so many times in the past
          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
          '79 GS100E
          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
            Bike still at the tuners, I'm anxious to get it back but good things take time I guess. In the meantime, for another project (my two free GL1100 Goldwings) I bought a 15L ultrasonic cleaner for $170 from Kaiezen (link). I hope it's not a scam or takes 3 months to get here, but I checked the site out as best I could and seems legit. I figured the bigger the better! It looks just like the ones I see on Amazon and eBay for around $330. Hope my frugal nature doesn't burn me this time like it has so many times in the past
            The website looks legitimate, you'll have to let us know how it goes!

The frugal life costs more than it should sometimes. But I love a good deal!
            - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
            - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

It already shipped and will be here tomorrow, Fedex from a couple of cities over. It may be junk, Amazon reviews are all over the map for what looks like the same unit, but many seem quite satisfied. I found a large Olympus 'endosonic ultrasonic' medical device cleaner on Craigslist for $40 which is a screaming deal, but the guy left the ad up long after he sold it. I see them used for 500 to 1K so I missed out. I'll give update after I get it and try it out.

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
              The website looks legitimate, you'll have to let us know how it goes!

The frugal life costs more than it should sometimes. But I love a good deal!
              Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
              '79 GS100E
              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I see a couple on eBay but the sellers can't seem to find the time to wipe the seat down with some cleaner and show the real condition. Pretty pathetic really. Everything I have ever sold has been as good as I can make it look - many times I have second thoughts about selling an item after I detail it fastidiously . I guess time is money but what I find is most people just don't give a rat's.

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                50 years ago they were called "personal massagers" in catalogs.

Sorry you're having difficulty getting a stock seat. So many custom seats, like yours, began as stock seats. Too bad we can't reverse engineer it (you know what I mean). Can we?
                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                '79 GS100E
                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Well I got the ultrasonic cleaner and it is plenty big and seems to work, makes a racket and the fluid gets hot and dirty (mmmm) at least. I am trying it out on the S&S Super B carb which has a stuck butterfly and may be a pile of junk, so no real loss to experiment on it. I also have the original HD Keihin that came with the Mr. Turbo kit which many seem to loathe. I'll try that next.

There are as many opinions on what cleaner to use as beer or oil. Simple Green, Pine Sol, Gunk, etc. Because I am 'frugal' I buy the 'LA's Awesome orange cleaner for a buck, so I'm trying that, diluted. They make another cleaner that is yellowish, I think it is stronger, plus some stuff in a blue bottle which is carpet spotter. Honestly all of them decrease really well but may not be good on aluminum. From videos the Mean Green and Simple Green leave a brighter aluminum finish. My S&S is quite darkened with age, and it's not really cutting through that, but a little scotch brite on it brings a nice shine. It would be great to have some substance clean and shine but that seems almost too much to ask for!

I'm being lazy about it right now and mainly evaluating my purchase, as I had to tear apart my Willys dash today and silence the radio's alternator whine, which was like building a ship in a bottle with my amp, radio, and HVAC controls all jammed into a space behind the steering wheel. Anyway, to quote Thomas Dolby... Science!
                  Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                  '79 GS100E
                  Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Dang it's been nearly 4 weeks, tuner had to order parts but now he's posting on Instagram that he's into it, so it won't be long, hope it goes OK. He posted some glamour shots on his Instagram, this one I like:

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                    '79 GS100E
                    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Well I got the ultrasonic cleaner and it is plenty big and seems to work, makes a racket and the fluid gets hot and dirty (mmmm) at least. I am trying it out on the S&S Super B carb which has a stuck butterfly and may be a pile of junk, so no real loss to experiment on it. I also have the original HD Keihin that came with the Mr. Turbo kit which many seem to loathe. I'll try that next.

There are as many opinions on what cleaner to use as beer or oil. Simple Green, Pine Sol, Gunk, etc. Because I am 'frugal' I buy the 'LA's Awesome orange cleaner for a buck, so I'm trying that, diluted. They make another cleaner that is yellowish, I think it is stronger, plus some stuff in a blue bottle which is carpet spotter. Honestly all of them decrease really well but may not be good on aluminum. From videos the Mean Green and Simple Green leave a brighter aluminum finish. My S&S is quite darkened with age, and it's not really cutting through that, but a little scotch brite on it brings a nice shine. It would be great to have some substance clean and shine but that seems almost too much to ask for!

I'm being lazy about it right now and mainly evaluating my purchase, as I had to tear apart my Willys dash today and silence the radio's alternator whine, which was like building a ship in a bottle with my amp, radio, and HVAC controls all jammed into a space behind the steering wheel. Anyway, to quote Thomas Dolby... Science!
                      Thanks for not typing Willys as possessive with apostophre! It warms my heart to think I may be the last person alive to think its not named for or pronounced like some tool named Willie.
                      bike looks grand btw. cant use solvent in cleaner?
                      1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

What's the tuners IG name? I love that picture.
                        Last edited by dorkburger; 07-17-2020, 10:00 PM.
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

On the Willys forum (oldwillysforum.com) and elsewhere there are threads about pronunciation - Will-eez or Will-is. Evidently the right one is the latter but it sounds a bit precious to my ears and is outside normal speak, right or wrong.

I can use solvent in the tub but it's easier to have jars of each type, and not have to drain, clean, etc. For big parts that won't work but small stuff it's better. Glass or metal container transmits the ultrasonic waves fine but plastic doesn't, it absorbs.

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                          Thanks for not typing Willys as possessive with apostophre! It warms my heart to think I may be the last person alive to think its not named for or pronounced like some tool named Willie.
                          bike looks grand btw. cant use solvent in cleaner?
                          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                          '79 GS100E
                          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

It's mickey_cohen_motorsports. I warned ya - bit of a kook.

Another guy that helped me out over the phone and Email about the EPM wheels, from Ontario Canada, is vsbmoto. He does great work, is focused in on big late 70s and 80's superbikes. ELRs, Cooleys, total eye candy and to a very high standard. Really nice guy.

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                            What's the tuners IG name? I love that picture.
                            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                            '79 GS100E
                            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

It's mickey_cohen_motorsports. I warned ya - bit of a kook.

Another guy that helped me out over the phone and Email about the EPM wheels, from Ontario Canada, is vsbmoto. He does great work, is focused in on big late 70s and 80's superbikes. ELRs, Cooleys, total eye candy and to a very high standard. Really nice guy.
                              Is it Tony from VSB? Regardless, talked to them last year about their gorgeous Katana at a bike show in Toronto.
                              They are doing some work on a CBX for a guy i know. Can't wait to see how that turns out.
                              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Yeah that's him. I needed some special retaining tab washers for the sprocket on the EPM wheel, and he had extras he bought in Italy directly from Magni, hard to find here.

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                                Is it Tony from VSB? Regardless, talked to them last year about their gorgeous Katana at a bike show in Toronto.
                                They are doing some work on a CBX for a guy i know. Can't wait to see how that turns out.
                                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                                '79 GS100E
                                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Working...
                                X