82 GS1100E Mr Turbo Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
    I know, and all the turbo goodies hidden too. I love fairings, but lowers, not so much.
    I'm torn on this subject. I love to see the engine, especially if it has goodies on it, but I also love the look of fairings with lowers. So 50's - 60's race-bike looking.
    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Me too. It's nice to have options. I will leave it on the back burner, I could easily swap it out and ride either way. I am not sure a huge full fairing painted that champagne would look very good so I'd probably carbon wrap it. I'm kidding!!!

But I really like the looks of this one I just found at https://www.motoforzafairings.com/se...2x90mm-bol-dor

It's fiberglass, includes the lights and is a deal at $300. The Bol d'Or endurance racer look has always been a favorite.

The closest to my fairing that I've found is this:

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
      I'm torn on this subject. I love to see the engine, especially if it has goodies on it, but I also love the look of fairings with lowers. So 50's - 60's race-bike looking.
      Last edited by oldGSfan; 03-18-2020, 11:54 AM.
      Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
      '79 GS100E
      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I'm not a fan of the fairings. The '82-'83 's are such good looking bikes in stock form. If it were mine, I would get as close to stock appearance as I could. Plus, it would give you more of a "sleeper" effect. That thing is going to be a crotch rocket killer, lol.

you should look into a newer swing arm and wheel. Early GSXR for some fatter traction.
        '83 GS 1100T
        The Jet

sigpic
        '95 GSXR 750w
        The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

I went to the Laguna Hills CA DMV today to title the bike - there were three customers there and about 25 employees. I thought I'd be out in 30 minutes. 3 hours later I had plates and registration in hand, title is on the way.

The woman serving me first told me that they'd have to send the paperwork to Sacramento for them to make a call on it, because the bike was out of the system so long and per her, had been registered out of state. I said I think not. I had the original pink slip in hand.

To add to the confusion it had been using specialty plates (I DUST U) and those had been on other bike(s). She made 20+ trips to her supervisor, and then the supervisor got on the phone to Sacramento for an hour. Eventually she asked for $23 so I paid her. For what, I wasn't sure, but at least it was moving along. Then she handed me a printout and I saw 'Harley Davidson' and the wrong VIN on my printout - she had mixed it up with another guy she was helping while waiting for her supervisor! Still I kept quiet, I learned long ago to always be cool with someone you need something from....

I asked if I needed them to check the VIN and engine #'s, as I'd done this before on a 1951 BMW R51/2 I imported from my USAF days in Greece. She seemed confused, but about an hour later said for me to bring the bike up for inspection. Progress! A guy came out and asked for the speedometer to verify miles, but I'd left it at home. I was unfailingly polite all through this, and politely asked him if they could make an exception given that I'd been waiting 3 hours, and I'd have to drive home to get it. He went back inside and asked the woman if it was OK, and, I think because I'd been so patient, they let it ride. Once she corrected the HD mistake it came to $161 but at that point I'd have paid much more just to be done.

Even though it was sort of an ordeal, I am grateful and realized that she was working when she probably didn't want to, so I gave her a big thanks and now I'm very happy!
          Last edited by oldGSfan; 03-20-2020, 12:52 AM.
          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
          '79 GS100E
          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Sound like a brutal day at the BMV to be sure. But you got it. Can't wait to see some video of this beast running and rolling.
            '83 GS 1100T
            The Jet

sigpic
            '95 GSXR 750w
            The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Well done! Patience is a virtue, and in these situations it 100% takes things from a nightmare to doable. No doubt there are other things on people's minds right now so giving them some slack and being calm and patient is the right way to go.
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Today I removed the engine, the old furniture dolly, skateboard and chain hoist trick. I had it all ready to go and I couldn't get the frame off the engine due to a tab that the PO welded on for the steering damper. I had to put the engine mount bolts back in flip it around to the other side, but no big deal. Still pinching myself as I take it apart, there is zero wrong, it's all there with spares galore.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                '79 GS100E
                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Not a bike but this is what I work on when not messing with MCs, Mountain bikes, and the house.

'54 Willys Wagon (350 SBC, TH400, NP208, Scout II Dana 44s, A/C, Power disc brakes, steering) and '69 Airstream Caravel 18'.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                  '79 GS100E
                  Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I have a question about shocks if anyone can help...

I have two sets of shocks, and think I can make one good set out of the pair. The ones on the bike set came apart easily because the springs were modified to be shorter, and had no tension. The dampers seem to be fine, chrome good etc. The bolt on the piston shaft reached its limit where the threads end, and the top came right off.

I used my vice and some ratchet straps to compress the springs on the pair with the good springs, but the bolt never reached the limit and now it's locked in place, if I lean on it I'll round the nut off.

Any ideas? It's soaking with liquid wrench but I think it's a lost cause. Sawzall the piston shaft?
                    Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                    '79 GS100E
                    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Not a bike but this is what I work on when not messing with MCs, Mountain bikes, and the house.

'54 Willys Wagon (350 SBC, TH400, NP208, Scout II Dana 44s, A/C, Power disc brakes, steering) and '69 Airstream Caravel 18'.

Excellent! You travel in style.
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                      -Rusty old scooter.
                      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I have a question about shocks if anyone can help...

I have two sets of shocks, and think I can make one good set out of the pair. The ones on the bike set came apart easily because the springs were modified to be shorter, and had no tension. The dampers seem to be fine, chrome good etc. The bolt on the piston shaft reached its limit where the threads end, and the top came right off.

I used my vice and some ratchet straps to compress the springs on the pair with the good springs, but the bolt never reached the limit and now it's locked in place, if I lean on it I'll round the nut off.

Any ideas? It's soaking with liquid wrench but I think it's a lost cause. Sawzall the piston shaft?
                        What brand shocks are you working on
                        Stock?
                        Stock shocks are mediocre compared with modern shocks.
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Yeah they're the stock ones, I know they are pretty mediocre. I ran Progressive 12 series on my old 82 GPz1100 and liked them. Had some nice vintage Fox piggyback ones on my '82 Katana too. I just want to have something on there until I figure out what nice ones I'll get.

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                          What brand shocks are you working on
                          Stock?
                          Stock shocks are mediocre compared with modern shocks.
                          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                          '79 GS100E
                          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I had to use my stock springs on my Progressive shocks. I CAREFULLY, cut the shaft of the stock shocks with a 6" cutoff wheel. It was a little tedious, but it worked.
                            '83 GS 1100T
                            The Jet

sigpic
                            '95 GSXR 750w
                            The Rocket

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                              No screen with that, though.
                              I found on the same site, a kit that had brackets, fairing and screen.
                              Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                              Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                              Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

The seller called me and said he found 3 more boxes of parts in his garage, evidently he had filled said garage to the brim. The only pieces missing are the headlight brackets and speedometer drive housing, but I already got a nice drive off eBay for 15 - if so I may resell that, it came with cable and guide, in great shape too. I expect he has them as he seemed to keep everything.

Had a nice chat with him, and will take pics of his scrapbook from Bonneville when I fetch the stuff Saturday. He claims that at >180 mph it was the fastest street registered bike from '83 to '91. Nowadays you can buy a new bike that goes over 200, crazy.

I cut the rock hard Dunlop slicks off. That was hard work, used a hand saw and box cutter to slice the tire up, and a Dremel on the wire bead. Looking at new tires, the ones I need are odd sizes these days, rear EPM wheel is 18x3.5" and front is 18x2.5. 130/80-18 rear and 100/90-18 front should work. The Conti Go! may fit the bill as those sizes are available - not many choices.

I have various new spare sprockets for the EPM wheels (unobtanium I bet) but have to stick with a #630 chain. He says he has some nice ones in the boxes, but will see. The bike has many specially made parts, he had a machinist friend - extended left side footpeg and shifter for example, as the exhaust runs up like a scrambler, and is wide.

I talked to a tech at Rotomaster about the turbo, he said if it isn't leaking oil (and it isn't) it should be OK. Rebuild kits which consist of just a few gaskets/bearings/seals are $300 and may be unavailable so we'll see, that's a few months off anyway. I'm making great progress. Forks and brakes are stripped down, parts on the way but slow due to you know what. Brake cylinders and pistons are all fine. Forks are presenting a challenge, as I need that special tool, blind hole bearing puller, #09940-34561. Or I can take to a local MC shop my friend own
                                Last edited by oldGSfan; 03-26-2020, 12:45 AM.
                                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                                '79 GS100E
                                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Working...
                                X