No announcement yet.

82 GS1100E Mr Turbo Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, it looks like your project is coming along fine. It's cool that you are overhauling everything, brakes suspension ect. that is the best way to rebuild a almost 40 year old bike. I don't recall needing any special tools to overhaul the forks with maybe the exception of a 17 or 19 mm ( can't remember the size ) allen socket with a long extension. I could not find that special tool part number in the factory service manual but mine is a canadian bike. Forks look identical to my bike , are you going to take the anti-dive stuff off ? I am really enjoying this thread.
    1983 gs1100ed restro-mod. 1998 gsxr 1100 almost mint, 2019 kawasaki klx250, 2011 Beta 250 evo trials bike, 2017 Montesa 300rr trials bike, 2021 honda crf250rx woods weapon

Comment

Thanks Chris, I appreciate the interest. The tool is not an allen, at first I thought it might be, as I watched a YouTube video, but these are different, just round holes. I'll figure it out, may get done, Race Tech makes a universal tool and a friend's shop has one.

Everything will be as good as it can get, I am very meticulous and have restored many bikes. This is by far the one I'm most thrilled about. Today I went to the seller's house (with mask and gloves out of courtesy). He gave me a new service manual, 3 new sprockets to fit the EPM wheels, in various sizes, plus new in boxes DID #630 O-ring chain and a Diamond that looks like it's non O-ring. Boxes of parts including heavy duty APE cylinder studs, new barrel sleeves, plus some missing stuff - center stand, another headlight (now have 3 with 2 buckets and trim), and best of all, a ton of Bonneville posters, programs, time slips. Got two brass plaques (from El Mirage) as shown. Also his original check for the new bike purchase, tool kit, spare wiring harness, and so on. I took photos of his scrap book and promised him to make a real presentation of it for shows, which I hope to enter, and bring him to, after life returns to normal. I don't want to photobomb this site too much so just a couple for now. He's in the red T shirt, letting a friend take a ride.

Originally posted by chris View Post
      Hi, it looks like your project is coming along fine. It's cool that you are overhauling everything, brakes suspension ect. that is the best way to rebuild a almost 40 year old bike. I don't recall needing any special tools to overhaul the forks with maybe the exception of a 17 or 19 mm ( can't remember the size ) allen socket with a long extension. I could not find that special tool part number in the factory service manual but mine is a canadian bike. Forks look identical to my bike , are you going to take the anti-dive stuff off ? I am really enjoying this thread.
      Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
      '79 GS100E
      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
        I don't want to photobomb this site too much so just a couple for now.
        Bombs away, please.

Those brass plaques are extremely cool. Bike's just two years old, runs 174, then a month later turns a 175. That tiny fairing hardly seems 'streamlined' these days.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

OK 2 more...by the way he said it's not a 'real' streamliner class, that was different, but since it had a fairing it fell into this class.

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
          Bombs away, please.

Those brass plaques are extremely cool. Bike's just two years old, runs 174, then a month later turns a 175. That tiny fairing hardly seems 'streamlined' these days.
          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
          '79 GS100E
          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

EPIC! One cannot share too many pictures of that nature. The history, and that its being passed on is beyond cool.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

..... and I think the top of the fork damper rod is a 19mm 12 point. It was on my 1150. I welded a bolt with a 19mm head to a section of 1/2 steel pipe and used vice grips to hold it in place.
              Some have had success just hitting the allen bolt on the bottom with an impact gun and having it loosen without needing to hold the top end back.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I agree. Bomb away!
                He must so happy finding you as the buyer. Someone that will honour his achievements and his bike.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Tried the impact and I can see it spinning, it's a round hole, hence that special tool, a tapered 4 point spear like thingie that msut gouge into the aluminum. Why they changed I don't know. RaceTech makes one that is just round - https://www.racetech.com/page/id/70 on left. I'll figger it out, thanks everyone.

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                  ..... and I think the top of the fork damper rod is a 19mm 12 point. It was on my 1150. I welded a bolt with a 19mm head to a section of 1/2 steel pipe and used vice grips to hold it in place.
                  Some have had success just hitting the allen bolt on the bottom with an impact gun and having it loosen without needing to hold the top end back.
                  Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                  '79 GS100E
                  Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Yeah he said he was glad I was noting the history, taking photos.

Couple of time slips and a friend that ran a nitrous GS maybe a member

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                    I agree. Bomb away!
                    He must so happy finding you as the buyer. Someone that will honour his achievements and his bike.
                    Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                    '79 GS100E
                    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Very cool pictures and history. Best part the guy is still alive and can appreciate your effort to keep it alive rather than have everything just dumped on ebay.

Comment

Also got a pile of paperwork, manuals, receipts and these cool old posters and a program from Bonneville in the 80's.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                        '79 GS100E
                        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

That 81 EX with Nitrous bottle looks scary on stock forks.

I like the paint, I repainted by GS750EX that color.

Comment

Well, the bike I got has stock forks and did 183. The shocks were shortened, I have the receipt from Don Vesco. Fork has progressive springs, other than that, factory. There was very little oil in them, and they were very spongy. Seller said that on El Mirage dry lake it was like riding on ball bearings.

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                            That 81 EX with Nitrous bottle looks scary on stock forks.

I like the paint, I repainted by GS750EX that color.
                            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                            '79 GS100E
                            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Today I got moving on the engine, I cleaned up the the spark plug hole areas then removed the plugs, cleaned a bit more and put a tablespoon of oil in each cylinder yesterday. I de-grunged some areas that had a buildup of fuel varnish (?) with carb cleaner and a pick, and taped off all openings for the next stage of de-greasing and power washing. I turned engine and there was no problem, it's moving freely.

On the polishing front, I have have started with 500 on the sprocket cover after removing the clear coat with paint remover. There's not much in the way of corrosion or gouges so they will come out great - I'm having deja vu from my '82 Katana refresh, which I added in the last photo below.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                              '79 GS100E
                              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

My son likes to show me Turbo 'Busa stuff on Instagram. I told him this is a Turbo 'GooSa', it's grandpappy. Might surprise one of those guys someday on this thing. Previous owner said he dropped it to 4th at 150 and lofted the front end high ... I'm too old for that. My son says he's up to the task, OMG what have I done, corrupting impressionable 15 y/o minds.

Found water injection tank and a big honkin' AC Delco pump. Right now I've got cases, calipers, frame and engine prepped or prepping. I think I'll leave the frame be, not powder coat as I thought. It's so good, just a few spots to touch up, and I think I can blend in VHT rollbar and chassis paint on the down tubes which are the only visible part. That and treat/paint the non visible areas that have a bit of rust from the salts.

Either way the little bit of corrosion in the non visible areas will be dealt with. Normally I wire brush, then put some r

There's something about original finish that appeals to me
                                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                                '79 GS100E
                                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Working...
                                X