No announcement yet.

82 GS1100E Mr Turbo Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome video. I has just graduated HS and started college summer school in summer 75.

I bought my 1969 Datsun 2000 in about 81 for $2000 so that $1200 was a fair bit of change. Close to a month's take home pay for a starting engineer.

Last edited by posplayr; 04-16-2020, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Got my parts ready for curing in the oven, 200 degrees for an hour per the VHT caliper paint recommendations. I went with the silver engine paint for the Mr. Turbo intake to match the engine.

Not sure about the sight glass on the master cylinder, if plastic I don't want to melt it, so I'll have to think about that part.

Making fast progress, once these are cured and given a color sand and polish, I'll be ready to start assembly of it all.

Got my Progressive 12 series shocks today, with heavy duty springs. Pleased to find that the shroud from my stock shocks fit, because there's no way I was putting that plastic piece on.

Last edited by oldGSfan; 04-16-2020, 11:57 PM.
      Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
      '79 GS100E
      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

That is nice paintwork especially on the raised brushed bits.
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Thanks! There's a smudge on one of the caps that'll come out with 2000 grit. I get a bit OCD....

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
          That is nice paintwork especially on the raised brushed bits.
          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
          '79 GS100E
          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
            Thanks! There's a smudge on one of the caps that'll come out with 2000 grit. I get a bit OCD....
            Hell OCD is sometimes a very good thing. IS that recepit from 82 yours? I wonder what it costs to get a crank welded now................
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

No it's part of the paperwork I got with the bike from the seller. I also have the original check from 6/82 for the bike purchase - $3,498.50

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
              Hell OCD is sometimes a very good thing. IS that recepit from 82 yours? I wonder what it costs to get a crank welded now................
              Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
              '79 GS100E
              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Bits are baked/cured, calipers and master cylinder loaded. Forgot about the trick to put in the dust seals, been a long time. 2 seconds on Youtube and aha!

When I get the stuff my neighbor is powder coating (grab handles, stands, miscellaneous brackets) I will be ready for assembly.

I have to figure out the carb situation. I have the original 'butterfly' Keihin 38mm with a rusty round air filter that is easily replaced for $30, or I can use the S&S Super B, but it's a monster and I hate the teardrop aluminum filter that fouls the side cover. Third choice is a Mikuni HSR but $$$. I think I'll try rebuilding the Keihin and see how it goes. There is a good video on making them work right and not leak. Will see if I can adapt to make it push/pull (or really pull pull) since I have that type of throttle already.
                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                '79 GS100E
                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Bodywork is very lightly color sanded for some very minor scratches, then cut and polished. I'm amazed at how good the paint is. I gaze in wonder.

I did the cap along with a bunch of other stuff with the VHT brake and caliper, then cured in oven. I thought its good to have something tough and chemical resistant on it.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                  '79 GS100E
                  Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                    I...have the original check from 6/82 for the bike purchase - $3,498.50
                    Really? I'm surprised it was that expensive.
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

MSRP was around $4300. I got my KZ1000J for $2900 with some haggling, it was Texas and standards didn't sell so it was a leftover. I think it was high 3Ks MSRP.

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                      Really? I'm surprised it was that expensive.
                      Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                      '79 GS100E
                      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

My 1973 Kawasaki Z1 originally sold new for...$1,973.00.

Decided against the "rat-rod" look, I see. Not fond of the 38 year old patina, eh?
                        Last edited by Rob S.; 04-21-2020, 12:20 AM.
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I wouldn't mind a bit of patina on my '54 Willys Wagon, and in fact the roof is starting to peel. But I like bikes to be as good as they can be. I may be over restoring it w/regard to the side covers but the rest will just look new. I am a sucker for well polished cases. My older brother used to pay me to Simichrome his Triumph cases, little did he know I enjoyed it.

My 1973 Kawasaki Z1 originally sold new for...$1,973.00.

Decided against the "rat-rod" look, I see. Not fond of the 38 year old patina, eh?
                          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                          '79 GS100E
                          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I couldn't agree more. I think people who leave their bikes out in the cold rain and snow should be arrested.

College students would of course be given a pass.

Comment

At around 9 my best friend and worst enemy got what I really wanted, a Schwinn wheelie bike with a chrome springer front end. He promptly chained it to his fence and let it rust through the winter. I think he rode it once. Maybe that's where my OCD started

I couldn't agree more. I think people who leave their bikes out in the cold rain and snow should be arrested.

College students would of course be given a pass.
                              Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                              '79 GS100E
                              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Engine is back in, easy job with furniture dolly and $50 HF chain hoist, lay engine on side and gently lower the frame down. I see videos of people wrestling them out and in, using boards and jacks etc. Looks like a good way to screw up both your body and the bike frame. I say bring Muhammad to the mountain, it's easier. Oh wait that belongs in the archaic sayings thread.
                                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                                '79 GS100E
                                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Working...
                                X