No announcement yet.

82 GS1100E Mr Turbo Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You want to be careful with those oversized oil coolers. You don't need some a-hole thinking it's a liquid cooled bike! And it's kind of a shame it doesn't take advantage of the two ports Suzuki designed into the engine.

What is that silver bar going between the two cams at the base of the spark plug wire? It's almost like a top end oiler, only on the inside. I don't see that on my bike.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

The bar is stock from diagrams & eBay parts I've seen. The oil lines are OK, they tuck in fine and must have worked given where and how it was ridden. I will keep as is.

I'm finding little special touches like shorter front turn signal stalks, modified brake arm that's cut away to allow a wider tire. Pretty cool time capsule of stuff I probably would have done way back when if I had any money.

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
      You want to be careful with those oversized oil coolers. You don't need some a-hole thinking it's a liquid cooled bike! And it's kind of a shame it doesn't take advantage of the two ports Suzuki designed into the engine.

What is that silver bar going between the two cams at the base of the spark plug wire? It's almost like a top end oiler, only on the inside. I don't see that on my bike.
      Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
      '79 GS100E
      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Oh boy.... a bourbon accident. I had a wine accident once while working on the bike. These days I wait until the tools are put down for the night.

The bike is coming along nicely.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Morning... haha! Thankfully the bourbon was unscathed.

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
          Oh boy.... a bourbon accident. I had a wine accident once while working on the bike. These days I wait until the tools are put down for the night.

The bike is coming along nicely.
          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
          '79 GS100E
          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I got sick of trying to find out what gasket would fit the various Mr. Turbo flanges and just made them myself with Mr. Gasket 77 stuff. Put in the new exhaust gaskets at the head, and mounted up the manifold with some leftover new Gates 1.5" hose from the parts stash. It's a bit of a tricky fit, I still have to jimmy the thing into the best position to ensure a good seal on the single large intake hose. Tomorrow.

It is very gratifying to see it with the pipe and turbo stuff on it. What a beautiful engine.

Last edited by oldGSfan; 05-07-2020, 08:59 AM.
            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
            '79 GS100E
            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

That is looking so awesome.
              '83 GS 1100T
              The Jet

sigpic
              '95 GSXR 750w
              The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Thanks, getting last needed parts tonight so I can get off the chain hoist - stands plus various bits that were a bit rusted from the salts. Got a few things to mount and figure out but I'm on the home stretch.

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                That is looking so awesome.
                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                '79 GS100E
                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Got the powder coated parts so I installed and couldn't resist chucking the bodywork on there.

Mounted the center stand but the spring I have is wrong, so I took it off. The stand seems short, it doesn't raise the bike in the rear at all. Need to investigate, might be modified for some reason like so many other little things I've discovered.

The front of the seat needs to sit against the tank, right now there's a 1.25" gap that looks bad. I am thinking of a couple straps made from a spare tie-down may help, by attaching with tension under the front area.

Last edited by oldGSfan; 05-08-2020, 01:33 PM.
                  Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                  '79 GS100E
                  Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                    The stand seems short, it doesn't raise the bike in the rear at all. Need to investigate, might be modified...
                    I've seen that caused by differing front or rear springs. Just saying, before you go cutting and welding the stand...
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Yeah that makes sense, they are Progressive shocks, I think a tad longer than stock. No worries for now I'm happy to have it on the side stand only.

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                      I've seen that caused by differing front or rear springs. Just saying, before you go cutting and welding the stand...
                      Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                      '79 GS100E
                      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I got the wiring and oil cooler done, headlight always fun, ship in a bottle on the GS1100E. I must have latent memory because it all worked out fine on first try. Still waiting on the wheels, hence no brakes.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                        '79 GS100E
                        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Looks fantastic, bet you can't wait to get those wheels back!
                          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Just being nosy but what's the story on the sprockets on the mountain bike in the background?
                            The front look so small. A 26? Is that for climbing uphill?
                            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                              Just being nosy but what's the story on the sprockets on the mountain bike in the background?
                              The front look so small. A 26? Is that for climbing uphill?
                              One ring in front is possible because the rear derailures these days can shift a crazy wide rear spread in back.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yeah losing that front derailleur is great, it's a SRAM Eagle, 12 speeds. Front is 32, son has even smaller on his YT Capra, but for me the lowest gear (biggest sprocket in back) is so low that it's more work for me balancing the bike at crawl speed than it is to pedal.

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                                One ring in front is possible because the rear derailures these days can shift a crazy wide rear spread in back.
                                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                                '79 GS100E
                                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Working...
                                X