82 GS1100E Mr Turbo Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
    ...Schwinn wheelie bike with a chrome springer front end.
    Red was called the Apple Crate and orange was called...well, you get it. Also had shocks/springs at the rear of the "banana" seat.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Well it's a unicycle but making progress, I put the original wheel on it since the EPM is a work in progress with no tire. Nice to have it starting to look like a bike again.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
      '79 GS100E
      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Put on the side covers and emblems, oooh ahhhh...

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
        '79 GS100E
        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Wow! That looks great.
          Interesting custom oil pickups as well.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
            Wow! That looks great.
            Interesting custom oil pickups as well.
            Thanks Steve. I spent a long time on the stainless and chrome header/muffler today. I used barkeeper's friend and red (brown?) Scotchbrite, regardless if it's that or baking soda or whatever else, it is mainly elbow grease. It took a good 3 hours, once I did part of the small pipe I was energized to finish up. I was considering Jet Hot or Cera Kote which I still may do someday, but wanted to get it decent and see how it runs before sinking a bunch of $ into these parts. There are some blemishes but overall I'm very happy that they could be brought to this condition, considering the level of tarnish.

I used some diluted muriatic acid on the rust at the welds and flanges, which worked great. I still have rust in the crook of the pipe I may try to get at, and then perhaps some brush-on silver high heat paint. Gotta check those welds for any leaks too, and if so, get them sealed up.

Last edited by oldGSfan; 04-26-2020, 01:15 AM.
            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
            '79 GS100E
            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I uploaded a video walk (squat?) through.

Last edited by oldGSfan; 04-27-2020, 12:37 AM.
              Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
              '79 GS100E
              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Best movie I've seen all year.

You won't be going with gearing as tall as 184 mph, will you?
                Last edited by Rob S.; 04-26-2020, 02:26 PM.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Thanks Rob, I'll start with stock 15/42 (from memory) setup because it matches the chain I have, then go smaller in back, I think. I will need to be careful, set to -10 lbs boost to start. I think Ill end up somewhere in the middle, I have a few sizes to choose from. My Multistrada has 150HP but doesn't feel all that much stronger than my old GS, from memory anyway. Gets happy up front more though.

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                  Best movie I've seen all year.

You won't be going with gearing as tall as 184 mph, will you?
                  Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                  '79 GS100E
                  Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Love this bike makes me want get my 82 prettier. Side note your headlight brackets are missing the rubber between the fork tube an bracket. My 82 has them

Comment

Thanks, yeah that is actually the last thing I'm waiting on, otherwise I'd have the front end together. They are on order from Partzilla, can't wait to have it on 2 wheels.

Originally posted by suzukigs1100ez View Post
                      Love this bike makes me want get my 82 prettier. Side note your headlight brackets are missing the rubber between the fork tube an bracket. My 82 has them
                      Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                      '79 GS100E
                      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I fitted the exhaust, mounting flanges were bent so I straightened as best I could, pretty close. I have new gaskets. I always find installing 4 of them to be a juggling act. I think I used some masking tape in the past to hold in place then pulled out when loosely mounted. I need gaskets for the 3 bolt round flanges, will measure and see if they are a standard size. Hope so.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                        '79 GS100E
                        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I got the little rubber grommets for the headlight bracket so I put the front end on, but I forgot one of the little air fitting shrouds that I painted up, d'oh! Oh well quick to fix that. I have to support with the hoist, because the side and center stand are still being powder coated. The original wheels are on for rolling around, while the EPMs are being stripped and bead blasted. Found a wheel shop that does it for $30 each, what a deal. I should have stands and wheels next week. I'm fabricating the forward side cover mount for one side, it was cut off to allow the big S&S air cleaner that I won't use, and with the smaller air filter I will be able to put the side cover on.

I also got my Earl's brake lines so I will get those together this weekend. That will leave just a few things to do and buy.

I wonder if anyone would want to trade my cut down seat for a stock one. I don't mind the look but I'm 6'3" and it is too low.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                          '79 GS100E
                          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Man that's starting to really take shape now, love your work!
                            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Thanks, getting to the turbo/carb/wiring etc, so the real fun begins.

Originally posted by pete View Post
                              Man that's starting to really take shape now, love your work!
                              Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                              '79 GS100E
                              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Been pondering direction on some stuff as I get to the final assembly, so some ramblings here.

The oil cooler is huge! It's an 18 row, 12" x 6" Earl's with the feed coming from the filter cover. I don't know why that was used rather than running lines from the two bolts on the front of the engine, but the cover is custom engineered (Lockhart or Kerker perhaps) so I suppose there's a decent reason. The cooler doesn't hinder the steering or suspension and it's sort of badass so I'll mount it. There's no thermostat, maybe good to add? I won't be riding WFO across a salt flat in August. It must've worked but I wonder how well. We shall see. I'm not going to ride this thing very hard, too old and am mainly into bikes for casual rides and restoration activities these days.

I was thinking of rebuilding the original Keihin but ditched that idea after reading up on it. Plus there was a little bourbon related accident in the garage and I lost the main jet somewhere, and said F it - I went ahead and ordered a Mikuni HSR42 as that was highly recommended by several online. I will have the two adapters, one to mount to the turbo and the other part of the carb kit for mounting the air cleaner assembly. I'll get the round 5.5" chrome round filter unit, it's common, inexpensive, fits with my side cover, and is what came with the kit originally. I will use my push/pull (pull pull?) throttle on the Mikuni if all goes to plan.

I am going to roll the dice on the turbo after a chat with the seller who said it had been rebuilt, and with a guy at Roto-master who said if it turns and doesn't leak oil, it should be good. Rebuild would be an opportunity to have it really cleaned and polished but it's not bad after some careful polishing on my own.

In the end if it has any problems like bad oil seals or turbo malfunction I'll just fix them then.

Oil cooler:

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                                '79 GS100E
                                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Working...
                                X