• Show
Clear All

• Grimly
    replied
    Excellent stuff.

Leave a comment:

• 2BRacing
    replied
    Wow, very impressive work, well done! The PO really did a number on that engine!

Leave a comment:

• KiwiAlfa156
    replied
    Lockdown has meant I couldn't get some cones made up for the steering head so I had to improvise. The pitted fork stanchion was almost a perfect fit through the steering head but it fouled the internal lug of the steering lock. I don't have key for it, so I cut back with a half round hand file. I left the bearing races in to spread the force to the steering head. If they got damaged, they're easy to replace. Put an extension pipe on the tube and started the untwisting.

The amount of deflection required made the dial gauge redundant. So I went incremental, doing a little more deflection each time, putting the forks back on and checking the front axle centre spot against the centreline reference marks on the frame/rear wheel. And a after an hour or two, great success!

Last edited by KiwiAlfa156; 09-21-2021, 05:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rich82GS750TZ
    replied
    And thank you for posting good, clear, big photos. Many don’t take the little bit of extra time to set up an account on a pic hosting site that they use to link the photos. It is very much appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• allojohn
    replied
    Jeez, a lesser man would've found another example to restore. Some serious knowledge on display here...

Leave a comment:

• Nessism
    replied
    Impressive job. Thanks for sharing.

Keep going...

Leave a comment:

• KiwiAlfa156
    replied
    Engine torqued into place. Next step correcting the steering head twist. Had to hammer the front engine mounting plates flat as they were bent. Was really pleased that all the engine mounts aligned which means my internal box jig worked as intended

Leave a comment:

• KiwiAlfa156
    replied
    Squish clearance measured at 1.00 mm exactly. At least the stud will be easy to remove....

This one has obvious necking. I'll have to measure the others. The head had only one locating dowel fitted to position it on the barrels. I guess the tons of tension stopped anything from shifting. I can't tell you how many times I've cursed whoever butchered this bike. Then for the price I really shouldn't complain. I've been looking for evidence that the cases have split. So far no witness marks to suggest that the PO got that far. Hopefully no fresh horrors await.

Leave a comment:

• KiwiAlfa156
    replied
    Not perfect, but good enough.

Leave a comment:

• KiwiAlfa156
    replied
    So.... I thought I might measure the squish clearance before the head and barrels go (eventually) to the auto engineer for a skim. So I placed some some solder strips in the front and rear squish areas on top of the piston, put the head back on -as best I could- and turned the crank to squash the solder. It seemed to spin too easily and I noticed the cam chain wasn't moving. Took off the ATU and found this.

Seems the drive pin was replaced with a small wood screw and a load of crappy epoxy.

Looks like the remnants of the pin are still there as a drill doesn't cut it, so I'm thinking it's tool steel, which the wood screw wouldn't be. So out with the diamond burs I used to get a broken ezi-out out of an outboard motor.

I think I might make a pin out of an old drill bit. The slot in the back of the ATU is 4mm. It should be plenty strong enough as the pin isn't subjected to shock loads.

Leave a comment:

• KiwiAlfa156
    replied
    Seems that the torque wrench comment was truer than I'd hoped for. All the other head nuts where so tight I had to use the half meter+ power bar to get them loose, while basically standing on the gearbox. All good until I found two of the 'dry' head nuts had been to rounded probably by being over-torqued with the wrong sized socket. It took tapping in a 9/16" impact socket and and using my gruntiest 1/2" rattle gun. Even then it took a good 20 seconds of hammering to get them to move. The last one came out with the stud attached... I'm going to have to check the remaining studs for necking.

Leave a comment:

• KiwiAlfa156
    replied

I thought the screw that goes into the top of the nut was stripped, but it was the entire stud spinning. At least the PO left it in there.

Looks like the existence of the torque wrench was unknown to the PO....
    Last edited by KiwiAlfa156; 09-19-2021, 07:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• KiwiAlfa156
    replied
    Did some research and the 1100EZ inlet cam has the same part number as the 750. The sprockets are different. I thought I might have one in a parts box, and found a match. I also found a matching exhaust cam. Both hare in better condition on the lobes and journals.
    Just need to swap the sprockets.

Thought I could use a spare 1100 rocker arm, but of course the 1100 and 750 differ in valve stem spacing. So I'll have to source some of those...

Last edited by KiwiAlfa156; 11-10-2021, 07:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• KiwiAlfa156
    replied
    Jig pretty much finished. I have a crossbar to fit to which the ram will push at 90° to the centre beam.

Final checking will be front axle centreline alignment. The defection is approximately 15mm at the axle.

I've begun pulling down the top end -which was always part of the plan- to make fitting and removing the engine easier for the straightening process.

Already a few issues have become evident

Inlet on number 2, is number twos

Leave a comment:

• KiwiAlfa156
    replied
    Frame jig 2 is coming along nicely. Used a plumb bob and spirit levels to centrepunch some centreline reference marks on the frame and swing arm. The datum was string lines off the sides of the rear rim -checked square against the swing arm piovt- and pleasingly this mapped the exact centre of the swing arm pivot and frame cross tube. Did some diagonal measurements between front engine mounts and the swing arm and they were identical I have confidence that apart from the tweaked steering head, the frame backward from there is straight.

So after some more sitting, staring, and imagining the forces I'll be applying and paths of transmission, I cut some steel and did some arc welding. The chassis with engine bolted in forms the rigid mass for the jig frame.

I'm going use my push ram as I can't get a pull ram under NZs lockdown. There will be an arm for the ram to sit on and push a heavy tube dropped through the steering head. The idea is have the ram operating as close to the horizontal plane of the jig in order to increase leverage on the steering head and minimize leverage and torsion directed through the jig. There will be some triangulation to resist the main jig beam bending.
    Last edited by KiwiAlfa156; 09-19-2021, 07:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X