X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
    That would be on the BMW.
    It's actually kind of boring at 135.
    LIke many other modern bikes too, I'm sure.
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Don't recall if you said how this race would be run, but please don't do it side-by-side. Too dangerous. My friend with a Trans Am, 400 , with a 4.11 positraction rear-end, slid side ways in a drag race, eventually straightening it out and blowing by another friend with a Ford Gran Torino with a 351 Cleveland. My Dad standing near by said, "He doesn't know how to drive that car." Your "kid" friend may not know how to harness his horses either and veer in your direction.

Do it with a stop watch, consecutive runs. Him first, then you or vice versa and then compare times.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Torque is good, but not without traction...
        Not sure, but I didn't think any could in stock form, maybe that's not true.
        Which ones did?
        I had a Dodge Coronet R/T that ran 13.30's factory stock. I also had a '67 Chevy II with a 327 that ran 13.20's factory stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
          LIke many other modern bikes too, I'm sure.
          It's true, I rode a Ninja 600 and it was thoroughly unimpressed with my preferences in riding speeds.
          "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

95 Camaro Z28?
            I have this car...that's an LT1

They are definitely a 13 second car from the factory, assuming he Hooks good.

Comment

IF you know how to ride & launch good, the bike will pull 5 car lengths out of the gate and the car will slowly reel you in and close the gap to 2 or 3 car lenghts at the end of the 1/4. the car will have an equal or greater mph even though running a slower et.

Cars are easy to beat out of the hole but they pull harder in the big end.

I ran a 12.71 @ 106 with my 77 GS750 and never got beat by a car.

Comment

If you do this drop the rear tire pressure down in the upper teens to get better traction off the line. Rev to 5 or 6 grand and let the clutch lever out as quickly as you can without stalling or bogging the bike. This will keep tire spin to a minimum and get you off the line in a hurry.

Comment

13 second 1/4 mile car

1987 Buick GNX, quarter mile time of 13.5 seconds at 102 mph (164 km/h).
                  1981 GS750L (sold)
                  1981 GS750L (current)
                  1978 Yamaha RD400 (RD = Race Development)
                  1981 Honda CT70 (86+ MPG at WOT most of the time)
                  1983 GS1100GL (needs work: update, gone to a new home)
                  1956 Simplex (with a TS250 motor)
                  1985 GS1150E (Hammer Time!!)
                  1998 1200 Bandit (Rattler)
                  1980 GS1100L (Janice)
                  Do I continue?

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Col Jeff Cooper
                  e tan, e epi tan

Comment

You said the camaro was modded?
                    How modded?

If he has anything more than bolt-ons, I wouldn't run him.
                    Honestly, it's just too risky, since he's already bragging and acting childish.

Even a mild cam with rockers and longtubes will be capable of 12's on that motor.(assuming he has a simple tune, and drag radials or wider tires to hook.)

But odds are...he can't drive, since he's bragging.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                      You said the camaro was modded?
                      How modded?

If he has anything more than bolt-ons, I wouldn't run him.
                      Honestly, it's just too risky, since he's already bragging and acting childish.

Even a mild cam with rockers and longtubes will be capable of 12's on that motor.(assuming he has a simple tune, and drag radials or wider tires to hook.)

But odds are...he can't drive, since he's bragging.
                      has a cam i know an headers...unsure whatelse...he bought it the way it is...has like 235 tires on it lol...an street tires too...no way it will hook

i went an launched my bike today...with whatching my spedo i dont think he will win to be honest..

i went for a ride in it...either he was scared of it an not all in,....or it runs like crap lol

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
                        has a cam i know an headers...unsure whatelse...he bought it the way it is...has like 235 tires on it lol...an street tires too...no way it will hook

i went an launched my bike today...with whatching my spedo i dont think he will win to be honest..

i went for a ride in it...either he was scared of it an not all in,....or it runs like crap lol
                        If he is only boasting about low 13's, you will probably take him.

I ran my Cortina at some import drags at Woodburn a few years ago, just for grins. Made it through 5 rounds, all Hondas and acuras. I beat two of them on raw time, even though they had 14 and change on their windshield. They geve me two seconds when I would have beaten them from an even start. I think they wanted to ride around the burger stands with a fast time that they couldn't hope to achieve painted on the windshield.
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Yep, he's gonna be all over the place with 235's.

Just start revving at him before launch, it'll probably cause him to get over-excited and launch too hard,.

He probably has a cc306 cam, with no tune...guarantee it. Because most people make the same mistake and jump to the biggest cam they can find.
                          (It causes the car to have a sloppy-sounding idle and it needs to be revved past the factory redline to make it's power...essentially making it useless, plus, now they have no torque either. lol)

Comment

ok old post i know...we ended up racin tonight...i.

now keep in mind we wasnt dead stop...we did id say a 30 mph roll 2 times then a 10-15 mph,,

each time i couldnt get past his door...

my bike is just jetted with a 4-1 header now vs my last "stock" post...

still i say just like i had predicted the car runs a low 13/high 12's

Comment

I was just thinking about this thread the other day haha. Glad to see an update. Please be careful while racing

Comment

now keep in mind we wasnt dead stop...we did id say a 30 mph roll 2 times then a 10-15 mph,,

each time i couldnt get past his door...
                                You gave away your biggest advantage, being quicker off the line.

Now you have to listen to his BS forever.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                                X