No announcement yet.

GS400/500 Gr650 Hybrid engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally I have the tools to take the Ducati clutch off and do some researching.

Here you can see the Ducati outer compared to the Suzuki.
    The Ducati outer is a lot heavier since it's made out of steel.

Here you can clearly see that the Ducati outer is quite a bit deeper, or taller whatever you wanna call it :P

Disassembled the Suzuki clutch, now the weight difference is extreme, I'm thinking about using the Suzuki outer and the Ducati inner.
    Then of course I would have to use 2/3 less plates, but I think there will still be plenty of grip.

Here you can see what it would look like if i was to use the Ducati outer.
    I'm not but I'm going to mount the suzuki outer to the driven gear in a similar fasion, but with a spacer in between.

Will need to fabricate a spacer that will be welded to the gear, boltholes on the clutch side to accommodate removing the clutch without taking it off the shaft and thus having to remove the whole engine cover.
    Much like the stock Ducati system (see next pic)

The 8 bolt holes you see is the spacer on the Ducati driven gear, I will basically copy this to the Suzuki engine.
    You can clearly see the large outer oil seal, and the smaller shaft seal.

Now, the biggest challenge will be mounting the Ducati inner on the Suzuki shaft, I'm thinking about machining the stock Suzuki inner.

Then machining out the inside of the ducati inner to accommodated space for a special nut (with a long shaft)

I will machine the Suzuki inner down to basically a flate plate that goes on the shaft, on top of that I will bolt, weld or somehow attach the Ducati Inner

The GR650 cylinder head is almost ready for pickup, together with the rest of the shipment of course! :P
    When I do have the cylinder head I can actually start doing something
    Last edited by Guest; 01-06-2016, 05:46 PM.

Comment

that just means more r&d time on the suzabusa clutch assembly!

Comment

Originally posted by 60ratrod View Post
        that just means more r&d time on the suzabusa clutch assembly!

More like Duzuki

Comment

A box came in yesterday, with my precious rods!

Getting there!

Comment

Adapting Ducati inner to Suzuki shaft...
            I've done a couple of similar jobs in the past. Both done the same way, both worked well.

The inner with the splines which match the shaft is machined to just the splined piece with a wall thickness of 4 - 5 mm depending how much space you've got to work with. OD is just a cylinder, parallel wall.
            The hub you wish to use is then bored to an interference fit with the insert you've just made. .003in is usually enough.
            Press the insert into the bored inner, I used loctite as well.

Drill a small hole on the joint line, not quite full depth of the joint, say 3 - 3.5mm dia.
            Press in a steel pin made to be a press fit in the hole.
            This is a "scotch key" setup and this method will handle all the power/torque you can make.
            I've used it on an alcohol burning 1100 racebike with no problems.

Comment

Thank you, This is the first time I do something like this so you saying that gives me that little extra confidence.

Originally posted by GregT View Post
              Drill a small hole on the joint line, not quite full depth of the joint, say 3 - 3.5mm dia.
              Press in a steel pin made to be a press fit in the hole.
              This is a "scotch key" setup and this method will handle all the power/torque you can make.
              I've used it on an alcohol burning 1100 racebike with no problems.
              In this case the inner needs to rotate relative to the shaft, because the rubber dampeners are inside the inner!

Comment

Comment

Swingarm almost done, he only needs to make some room for two exhaust pipes coming up through the swingarm.

I have the bottom end back, and the GR650 cylinder head is finally back in the Netherlands, so I can start building up!
                  It all came together with this shipment, A yamaha R6 50th anniversary that I bought in the US

It is now sitting like this like a pile of junk, waiting on the second shipment which has the rest of the parts in it....too many projects going on here!!

End product

Anyway, expect updates on the project real soon.

Comment

Wow, that swingarm is functional art!
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

did it feel like a second xmas?

Comment

Originally posted by 60ratrod View Post
                        did it feel like a second xmas?
                        YEAH! he was a little late, but I appreciated it anyway.

Comment

Getting there

Last edited by Guest; 01-18-2016, 05:06 PM.

Comment

that thing's gonna friggen fly down the road!

Comment

Originally posted by Rensdw View Post
                              Getting there

Wow Rens... I didn't realize you were going all out with the chassis as well, I should have expected! That swing arm it is one of a kind for sure! Looks very much like a ZRX 400 but much stronger with that double tube set up. frame bracing, too!

if it were me up in front of the ignition coil area in the rear point of the open triangle behind the front tank mount rubbers, I would put a second set of braces from the spine down to the side tubes to eliminate any more head tube twisting.
                              the gs400 did not have any bracing in this area, and twisted quite a bit in turns compared to the 450, which has one brace per side. I would be tempted to put a second brace slightly further forward as long as it does not interfere with the coils or the tank mounting. Or a flat gusset. Maybe some more expert race frame builders would have more input on this.
                              '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                              '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                              '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                              '79 GS425stock
                              PROJECTS:
                              '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                              '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                              '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                              '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                              '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

this is going to be one of the most fun and most radical GS twins that most of us have ever seen, & 559cc 10.5:1 if my calculations and memory serves me right! With a very lumpy cams to boot. I'm sure this thing will be as fast as a 750 2 valve and handle miles better! I would maybe consider that additional frame bracing, and some very expensive rear shocks so that you will want to ride this awesome bike even more than that R6! There's one or maybe two other very awesome gs twin race bikes that I have seen on this forum, one of them was pushing the 600cc from a GS 450 platform! Those two are very impressive as well. I can't wait to see this come together more.
                                Last edited by Chuck78; 01-18-2016, 01:16 PM.
                                '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                                '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                                '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                                '79 GS425stock
                                PROJECTS:
                                '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                                '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                                '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                                '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                                '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Working...
                                X