No announcement yet.

Gs1000 Bonneville Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like lennyguy851.

Hey everybody, just adding some nicer pics of the bike. Tear-down should begin pretty soon! We are getting excited!

Comment

SteveF.

Can you get a stock exhaust and stock airbox for that bike?

I know for a fact that the AMA 1350-P-PC record is a soft one. That idiot went out there in 2016, couldn't get his carbs to run properly, then dropped a screw in the engine and pretty much ended his race week at The Bonneville Motorcycle Speed Trials. He did manage to go 97 mph one way and then 106 mph on the return run to set the weakest Production Classic record ever at 101.83 mph. The guy running 750-P-PC set a faster record that year. All you need to do is basically make 2 runs on a good running GS1100E and you'll have that record...

...ask me how I know

P1019521crop.jpg

If you can't get the parts you need, i'll MEET you at BMST 2018 and loan you my stock exhaust and air box, just so someone can put up a decent number. Of course, I'm proud of my record, but I just wish I had gone as fast as I know the bike is capable of.
      Last edited by freakhousecustoms; 10-13-2017, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by freakhousecustoms View Post
        SteveF.

Can you get a stock exhaust and stock airbox for that bike?

I know for a fact that the AMA 1350-P-PC record is a soft one. That idiot went out there in 2016, couldn't get his carbs to run properly, then dropped a screw in the engine and pretty much ended his race week at The Bonneville Motorcycle Speed Trials. He did manage to go 97 mph one way and then 106 mph on the return run to set the weakest Production Classic record ever at 101.83 mph. The guy running 750-P-PC set a faster record that year. All you need to do is basically make 2 runs on a good running GS1100E and you'll have that record...

...ask me how I know

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52939[/ATTACH]

If you can't get the parts you need, i'll MEET you at BMST 2018 and loan you my stock exhaust and air box, just so someone can put up a decent number. Of course, I'm proud of my record, but I just wish I had gone as fast as I know the bike is capable of.
        Damn! That's quite an offer but unfortunately our bike is a 7/11 which makes it non compliant with production frame rules. I wish we could take you up on that! Thanks for offering!

i hope you didn't run the engine with the screw dropped in there!!

-Len

Comment

stevef,

So far I've been lucky with finding actual 1980 models, but what I've seen others do, and what should be pretty easy with the help of folks from this forum:

Find the PDF of the service manuals for 1980 and then for 1981 (I think 1981 would be an addendum to the original 1980 service manual). In the manual, (from what I can remember) there should be a section where it lists out all the individual specs of the 1980 bike (length, width, weight, wheelbase, etc). If they are exactly the same as the 1981, then you can run the 1981. If not, then you'd just have to figure out what's different and make it the same as a 1980. I thought the 80 and 81 bikes were identical? But I'm not Scrutineering. Unfortunately, you've got to provide the proof -and bring it to the Salt- as no one is an expert on all makes and models of motorcycles.

Just to let you know, the entrant in the Modified Class this year just bumped the 1350-M-CG record to 137.854 mph. 1350-M-CF is still an open record. And then he simply tossed a cafe fairing on his GS1100E and set the 1350-MPS-CG record at 145.894 mph. 1350-MPS-CF is still an open record. Bounce some ideas off me if you'd like! There are plenty of Classic records that still need to be set and more and more that need to be broken!

Let's get out there and RACE!

Comment

"i hope you didn't run the engine with the screw dropped in there!!"

Yep. Ran it. Crushed it. Bent up a valve. Ended my race week. BUT! I still got the record!

Can you see a part of the screw still jammed into the head up top?

20160830_111541.jpg

Comment

To give you some idea of what's quite easily accomplished...Back in about 1990 we ran a flying quarter mile event on a closed country road local to me. About 2/3 mile run in at each end before the timed quarter mile. A customer of mine took his road legal GSX1100E - probably about an '82 - out to the meeting and ran it through the traps. Over 144mph each way quite easily.
              A pipe, dialled cams (106/108) and some jetting changes plus a flat bar.

The cream of the joke is that he was picked up by the constabulary doing about 110mph on the way out there..."just cleaning the plugs officer..."

Comment

Hey I have a question for those that have been to the AMA sanctioned event: what is the gasoline supplied for "gas" classes? Is it comparable to regular old pump gas or is it some sort of high octane?

Comment

Originally posted by stevef. View Post
                  Hey I have a question for those that have been to the AMA sanctioned event: what is the gasoline supplied for "gas" classes? Is it comparable to regular old pump gas or is it some sort of high octane?
                  The supplied gasoline STARTS at 100 octane. That's the lowest octane rating you can get if you are going to run in Gasoline class. This year, I heard it was $17/gallon. They have higher octane gas for higher prices. I can ask some friends what ratings & pricing (for this past year) if you'd like. Let me know what octane you're looking to run.

For that reason, I competed in Fuel class. Not for any performance advantage, it was simply because I could not afford to spend $17/gallon for gasoline. I filled up 2 gas cans with 85 octane back in West Wendover and saved myself $60-100 in gas. To compete in Fuel class, you simply have to have a way to shut off the gas from your handle bars. I went to a local bicycle shop and bought a gear lever set for 7/8" bars and hooked it to my petcock. You only have to shut OFF the gas from the bars. You are allowed to reach down with your hand to turn it back on.

Comment

I can ask some friends what ratings & pricing (for this past year) if you'd like. Let me know what octane you're looking to run.
                    Yes! It would help us tremendously to know what fuel to expect to use. We plan to run both gas and fuel classes, so we will want to tune our engine for the higher octane.

To compete in Fuel class, you simply have to have a way to shut off the gas from your handle bars.
                    This has been something that we have been trying to decide how to do. We're thinking of just wiring in an electric solenoid for shutoff. I have a thread in the Carbs forum for this.

I went to a local bicycle shop and bought a gear lever set for 7/8" bars and hooked it to my petcock. You only have to shut OFF the gas from the bars. You are allowed to reach down with your hand to turn it back on.
                    Interesting solution. Can you show a couple pics of how you did this?

Thanks!!
                    -Len

Comment

Fuel Shut off.
                      Super easy. Super simple.

Comment

Yes! It would help us tremendously to know what fuel to expect to use. We plan to run both gas and fuel classes, so we will want to tune our engine for the higher octane.

This has been something that we have been trying to decide how to do. We're thinking of just wiring in an electric solenoid for shutoff. I have a thread in the Carbs forum for this.

Interesting solution. Can you show a couple pics of how you did this?

Thanks!!
                        -Len
                        The thing about that is that the stock petcock has no off position. I think you can buy a Pingle valve and buy or fab an adapter plate easily enough. I'm pretty sure Z1 enterprises used to sell the adapter.
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                          The thing about that is that the stock petcock has no off position. I think you can buy a Pingle valve and buy or fab an adapter plate easily enough. I'm pretty sure Z1 enterprises used to sell the adapter.
                          RIGHT! Sorry, I forgot the petcock is a vacuum one. Well, you can always install a valve on the vacuum line, with an arm on it and run the cable to that. Might be cheaper than a Pingle valve - which would totally work as well.

Comment

I talked to a few friends. One ran 100-octane, the lowest octane rating they sell at The Bonneville Motorcycle Speed Trials and it was $15/gallon. The other guy ran the 116 octane and that was $17/gallon.
                            Both said these prices were higher than what they were in 2016, so take them as ballpark numbers for 2018!

Comment

Some of the gearheads around here run the Cam II racing gas...110 octane I think. Runs roughly $9 or so a gallon {I think?!}...I can check.
                              Airport fuel runs equally as high...octane and price - but it's another option to consider as well.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
                                Some of the gearheads around here run the Cam II racing gas...110 octane I think. Runs roughly $9 or so a gallon {I think?!}...I can check.
                                Airport fuel runs equally as high...octane and price - but it's another option to consider as well.
                                Run the lowest octane you can get away with. Higher octane means harder to light, and will make a lower compression motor considerably slower. At 13-1 compression something like 105 is probably about right depending on cam timing. Longer duration reduces dynamic compression.
                                sigpic
                                09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                                1983 GS1100e
                                82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                                1980 GS1260
                                Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                                X