No announcement yet.

Cleaning fasteners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to suggest against the use of vinegar, which is actually acetic acid. Acid being the key word here, you are actually taking off a layer of the metal, and weakening any corrosion-resistant layer. I know this because I am a knifemaker and machinist by trade, and I use many different acids and compounds to create different surface finishes and patinas on my blades. Vinegar is one of them.

As an alternative, I'll suggest using a small felt buffing wheel and some green compound. This setup can be purchased very inexpesively, and you have to admit it'll have many different uses in your bike restorations. If you abo*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ely must use the original fasteners, then this is a great way to get all your metal parts shiny and new again. Personally, I'd replace them with aircraft-grade stainless steel.

Comment

Might want to check out the stainless steel discussion here:

Most of the Suzuki stock fasteners you can see are the weakest, crappiest, softest, cheesiest, nastiest junk imaginable. The strength of the new fastener is not much of an issue -- it's going to be many times stronger than what you replaced.

For many of the fasteners you don't see much of, like axles, brake caliper mounting bolts, etc. Suzuki did use specially hardened high strength fasteners. But for low stress items such as case bolts and the like, they didn't waste one penny on good bolts. Replace at will.

That said, I did recently find that the studs at the bottom of the fork legs had stripped threads on my bike. (Yes, it was a HOLY $---! moment...) I had a heck of a time getting them out beause the threads were about the same hardness as well-aged parmesan cheese. You would think this would qualify as an "important" application, but I guess not. The new studs from the hardware store were made of much tougher stuff.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I have an old crockpot, yes crockpot *NOT* crackpot, that I fill with Simple Green. Low heat over night and all the grease, gunk and rust disapears.

*DO NOT* put aluminum in this solution. That is unless you like charcoal colored aluminum.

Your shop will smell like a pine forest on acid!

Allan

Comment

You are right about Simple Green and aluminium. A helicopter operator in Japan was faithfully washing the landing gear every day with Simple Green. One day, when the helicopter was only a few years old they came to work and found it laying on it's side in the hangar. The soap had worked it way into a threaded rod end that was screwed into an aluminium tube that held the gear. Ate right through it. Manufacturer issued a notice warning people not to use simple green.

Comment

Working...
          X