where to buy tappet gauge set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where to buy tappet gauge set

Anybody know who sells the .03mm - .08mm feeler gauge set? You would think the local cycle shop would have at least one in this range. Thnaks.

R/ Bill:-|

Other people might have other ideas, but NAPA has one for about $10.00 that goes up from .04mm which is good enough for me at least. Might have to order it for you.

Comment

I found mine (.04mm and up) at Advance Auto, which is Kragen and Checker in some places.

I'm not too concerned about the lack of a .03mm blade -- if it's that tight, I'm going down one shim size anyway.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I also checked my local bike shop to no avail. It would make sense to sell tools specially for motorcyles at bike dealers but they would rather make a killing on servicing your bike instead of a few dollars on the tools. Ted

Comment

An English company called Draper sells a guage that has a .03 mm blade. I've seen them go from about $15 to $22 dollars. I'd think about getting one, but that thin blade would be mighty fragile...

Comment

Originally posted by blynn
            Anybody know who sells the .03mm - .08mm feeler gauge set? You would think the local cycle shop would have at least one in this range. Thnaks.

R/ Bill:-|
            If you really need one that starts at .03mm you can get it from snap-on tools...................you will pay dearly for it!

Comment

Originally posted by tconroy
              If you really need one that starts at .03mm you can get it from snap-on tools...................you will pay dearly for it!
              But you will get a nice pretty case with it.

Comment

Originally posted by gs650newb
                But you will get a nice pretty case with it.
                I hope its a hard case cause I would hate to drop a 0.003 feeler gauge.It would probably snap like a toothpick!

Comment

Originally posted by tconroy
                  How about $5.20 for a Snap-On set that goes down to 0.001" (0.0254mm)?

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism
                    How about $5.20 for a Snap-On set that goes down to 0.001" (0.0254mm)?

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
                    i guess the guy on the snap on truck was trying to screw me!!!Good thing I said no!!! Buy it now!!!!!!

Comment

Craftsman makes a decent set with a 25 degree bend. I think I paid no more than $10.
                      Currently bikeless
                      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

craftsman tappet gauge set

Jethro, thanks for the tip on the tappet gauge set. Went to Sears today and picked up a set. Just what I was looking for. The price was good at $7.98. Now to try my hand at valve adjustment.
                        80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

Let us know how it goes. There's a valve adjustment in my future and I'm a bit anxious! Thanks RJ

Comment

Just bumping this up. Just in case anyone is wondering, I bought the gauge from the snap-on web page for 5.20 + tax (actual brand of the tool is "Blue Point"). Took about 3 days to get it, and best of all FREE shipping! I'm sure you can get gauges that are better quality or something for a lot more, but this one for the price seems to work just fine.

The gauge has .001 (.025mm), .0015 (.038 ), .002 (.051), .003 (.076mm), .004 (.102), .005 (.127) etc.

Good luck!

Comment

resurrecting an old post

I am looking into getting a tappet feeler guage and like the snap on one within this post. Does anyone know if a straight blade compared to blades with a curve are easier or harder to use in valve adjusts? What I really want to know are the flat blades workable/doable? Or do I need to get the bend blades from like Z1?

Thanks in advance

Cory

Comment

Working...
                              X