WANTED: Impact Driver Recomendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WANTED: Impact Driver Recomendation

According to the Carb manual it recommends an impact driver for some parts. Could someone recommend a good impact driver for this step? Preferably from Lowes, Home Depot, or Walmart Thanks!

I picked one up at Kragen for 13 bucks incl bits. The big hammer was almost the same cost

Lowes will probably also have them as will sears & any of the others. I'm sure they are all much the same.

Their own brand will be fine for what you're doing. Make sure you get a couple of sizes of bits with it. I needed a big ish one for the case bolts.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

My old one that I used for many years was starting to show signs of wear. I replaced it with this IMPACT SCREWDRIVER SET WITH CASE from Harbor Freight at a bargain sale price. Although it's inexpensive it appears to be well made and of better quality than the older one.

Comment

The driver itself is a simple device, but the bits are a little variable in quality. Sears has a good Craftsman unit, and the bits are noticeably tougher and better fitting than the "Brand X". You can get replacement bits from Sears if you already have a driver.

If you are in an out-of-the-way area where options are severely limited, you might have better luck finding an impact driver at a farm store. Any small-town auto parts store should have a decent one -- CarQuest and Napa sell a pretty nice line of tools.
        Last edited by bwringer; 02-22-2007, 10:09 PM.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Got mine from advance auto for 19.99. It works fine.

Comment

I picked up the Sears set last fall to replace an ancient cheepo set. http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes It works noticeably better, and should last longer than the super low cost models. bringer is right, the cheaper bits can be frustrating.

Comment

I just got one that is smaller than most....

pretty handy, easier to get in small places, but when you give it a whack it works. Harbor Fright of all places, $7 and the quality is even fairly good.

I just read Boondocks post, same driver:

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                pretty handy, easier to get in small places, but when you give it a whack it works. Harbor Fright of all places, $7 and the quality is even fairly good.

I just read Boondocks post, same driver:
                http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=37530
                I'd recommend HF also. I got mine there and it's not a tool I use all the time,therefore I don't need top quality.(Although quality of impact driver @HF is fine)

Comment

Originally posted by omaharj View Post
                  it's not a tool I use all the time,therefore I don't need top quality.
                  I guess that's the difference. I've been using an impact driver for 25 years, and hope it will last 25 more \\/ Oh ya, the Sears driver is not top quality. That would be the Snap-on http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

Comment

Don't buy the Harbor Freight one unless you can't afford a good one. Being a professional mechanic for ten years I figured it was time to buy one. I tried the H.F. one because it was so damn cheap I just couldn't resist. It really didn't work that well, and it completely fell apart after a couple attempted uses. I replaced it with a Craftsman from Sears, which works much better. I kept the H.F. bits to use with the new one and they are all broken now. If you think the H.F. one works well, you would be amazed by a good quality one.

Comment

Originally posted by denydog View Post
                      I guess that's the difference. I've been using an impact driver for 25 years, and hope it will last 25 more \\/ Oh ya, the Sears driver is not top quality. That would be the Snap-on http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
                      Do not let the ridiculously high priced fool you into thinking Strap-on is highest quality.

Dink

Comment

Strap-on? I think that's what my girlfriend was trying to scare me with the other night :shock:
                        Last edited by Guest; 02-24-2007, 10:54 PM.

Comment

I hope that's what it was....

Originally posted by denydog View Post
                          Strap-on? I think that's what my girlfriend was trying to scare me with the other night :shock:

Kind of scary otherwise.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I got a good'ol princess auto one, about 4 bucks on sale.
                            if you want it to last, make sure its lined up right each time, and use a rubber, dead blow hammer (another 2$)

Comment

One more vote for Sears. Had mine for a year or so and it works great.
                              80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

Working...
                              X