Storing spare engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storing spare engine

Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on long term storage of a spare engine?? Bought a 81 1000G last summer over e-bay. Was'nt exactly what the pictures showed, imagine that!!! The engine had quite a bit of oxidation on cases, some oil leaks ect. Ran fine with 32K, but just was'nt ever going to look very good, without a lot of polishing. I stumbled on to a 80 L model that was low mileage, with very nice looking cases, actually the whole bike was clean. So as I started the winter project, I decided to swap engines, and all other parts that were better and usable. Long story short is a made one good bike out of the two. Have all the parts to put the L back together, but ran out of time. Then decided that I may keep it for parts as I'm into this one for the long haul. So I have this spare motor sitting in my entry room. Should I pull plugs and put some oil in the cylinders?? Fill crankcase clear full of oil?? Fog some oil into intake and exhaust ports and plug up some how?? This is a very usable engine so I want to perserve it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Any way got the G all repainted, frame and all. Two new tires, new four into one pipe, kn filter, rejetted and it runs great!! Really enjoy all the wisdom that gets shared on behalf of the old GSers. After 17 years without a ride it's great to be back on the road!!! Everybody ride safe!!!

I think you got the right idea already.
    2010 Honda VFR1200F
    1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
    Being Revisited
    1981 Honda CM400T
    http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

I made a 2 x 4 frame for mine and bolted the engine to it. Its easier to move around, pick up, drag around etc. Other than that, what you're talking about seems about all you can do.

By the way, whereabouts in Nebraska?

Comment

Central Nebraska

I'm about 20 miles north of Grand Island, between the towns of St. Paul and Palmer. How about you?? 20 plus years ago, I owned a 79 850 G. It was a great bike!!

Comment

Originally posted by GS Farmer View Post
          I'm about 20 miles north of Grand Island, between the towns of St. Paul and Palmer. How about you?? 20 plus years ago, I owned a 79 850 G. It was a great bike!!
          I'm about 25 miles southwest of Beatrice along the Kansas border. Here's a few of the guys in Nebraska that are trying to get a ride together if you're interested. About 6 of us met for breakfast last month in Lincoln.
          My bike is torn apart right now, and I won't have it together for a while yet. Anyway, here's a few of the guys looking to put together a ride soon........

Comment

Because this seems to follow along the lines of my questions I'll post it here and see what happens.

Not too long ago we purchased a 1978 GS550 from a pal.
            We brougth her home to start our restore/ modifications.
            **Note** she ran fine when we brought her home.
            She was in serious need of cleaning and general maintance.
            As we progressed along we started to find more things that needed to be done.

About 2 weeks ago we took the engine out so we could prep the frame to be sent out for powder coating.

We placed the engine on a movable dolly cart so we could get all the gunk and muck build up off her and take care of anything we found.

We sent the carbs out to our mechanic and they are in the works to be redone.

I have not yet pulled the plugs.. however I do have a good barrier on the in/out points of the engine.

Origional plans were to only have the engine out for a couple of weeks... however because we need more time to get the things on our list accomplished the engine will be out a bit longer.

What can or do I need to do to make sure the engine remains in good working order??

Thanks in advance for any help!
            ~Athena~

Comment

Originally posted by Athena View Post
              Because this seems to follow along the lines of my questions I'll post it here and see what happens.

Not too long ago we purchased a 1978 GS550 from a pal.
              We brougth her home to start our restore/ modifications.
              **Note** she ran fine when we brought her home.
              She was in serious need of cleaning and general maintance.
              As we progressed along we started to find more things that needed to be done.

About 2 weeks ago we took the engine out so we could prep the frame to be sent out for powder coating.

We placed the engine on a movable dolly cart so we could get all the gunk and muck build up off her and take care of anything we found.

We sent the carbs out to our mechanic and they are in the works to be redone.

I have not yet pulled the plugs.. however I do have a good barrier on the in/out points of the engine.

Origional plans were to only have the engine out for a couple of weeks... however because we need more time to get the things on our list accomplished the engine will be out a bit longer.

What can or do I need to do to make sure the engine remains in good working order??

Thanks in advance for any help!
              ~Athena~
              it should be fine for that short of time

Comment

Just be sure to cover the exhaust ports and the intake ports with a cloth and make sure the spark plugs stay in the motor. This is assuming your other work will be done in less than a month or so.
                2010 Honda VFR1200F
                1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
                Being Revisited
                1981 Honda CM400T
                http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

Sounds like you've got the right idea. I'd add that you'll want to put anti-seize on the spark plugs and install them only hand-tight.

I bought a small moving dolly from Harbor Freight, and it's proven handy many times for moving engines around. It's also easier to store heavy stuff like engines in a limited space if you can move them out of the way when needed.

The other thing I'd add is to keep it covered with an old blanket or something similar -- this will add a degree of padding to protect it from damage but won't trap moisture. I've got a complete runnable GS850 engine sleeping under my work bench just in case.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by GS Farmer View Post
                    I'm about 20 miles north of Grand Island, between the towns of St. Paul and Palmer.
                    Imagine that. For the last four summers I have been within just a few miles of you and you never told me you were there. :shock:

I have been attending a GoldWing rally that has been held in the sprawling metropolis of St. Libory on the third weekend of August.
                    Alas, I will not be able to make it there this year, I hope you can go another year without the privilege of meeting me. :-\"

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks everyone!...I'll say.. Gotta love Harbor Freight hehe as that's where we purchased our dolly cart

As for covering the ports & such... Glad Cling Wrap!... that's a Woman's version of great mechanical accessory brought out from the kitchen. I just love that stuff and find more and more uses for it. If you don't have any ... go out and get yourself some. Its easy to use if you want to bundle wires together... keep things out of places it should be and also protect from unwanted moisture. Its one mighty fine product I'll tell you.... When I take something off the bike and want to keep the screws and parts together...just wrap them up together problem solved. Worked great in our tear down. I should get stock in the company as I always have a roll and spare on hand. :-D

I appreciate all the help!! Ya'll are awesome.

~Athena~

Comment

Working...
                      X