old bike starting trick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PAULYBOY View Post
    What about the old trick of holding on to a neighbors car for a few feet, and then letting go and popping the clutch?
    That works, but it saves gas if you hold on for as long as he is going in your direction :-D

Comment

Originally posted by marz View Post
      with suzy q here i have had it get away and it aint pretty .. i always start mine 2 nd gear .....
      Thankfully, I did not speak from experience. I bump-started this bike only once that I recall, when I rode it away from the previous owner's house, after buying it. (Battery tenders rule!!) But there have been a few stories on this forum and others (IIRC, Guyver's beautiful 1150 being one!) of running jumps not going according to plan.
      Tony.
      '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
      Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        I agree with the concept, but the GS-series bikes don't crank with the kill switch turned OFF.

p_s, the difference is sort of like priming it. By not firing the plugs, you will draw some excess fuel into the chambers, hopefully making it easier to start.

In reality, when the bike gets this hard to start (especially when cold), just adjust the valves and make sure your charging system and battery are in good shape. Then you might feel that you can't get your thumb off the starter button quick enough. 8-[

how can i get a us map showing all the places i have rode

Comment

Originally posted by asphalt guy View Post
          how can i get a us map showing all the places i have rode
          http://www.mytriplogs.com

You're welcome :-D

Comment

My gs1100 won't move in gear with the clutch pulled in when cold. Only if the oil is warm will it free ride in gear with the clutch pulled in.
            I have to push it in neutral then jump on and throw it in first. Unless I'm on a hill I lose most of the momentum by then and it's not enough to turn over.
            Eddie V

Comment

Working...
            X