Fork spring spacer trick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork spring spacer trick

While struggling with installing my fork spacers I came across an idea. (and it works)
    You know when you get it all lined up and try to drive it home, the cap spacer, washer etc. pops out and goes flying all over the garagemahal.
    Use a sock. Yes, thats right, a sock.

Put the spacers, cap and what have you on the fork and slide a sock over the whole mess. Pull down on the sock with one hand, push the fork cap in with the other. The sock does three things:
    1. Keeps it all from flying all over the garage if you don't get it all threaded up on the first try.
    2. Helps to put more pressure on the cap.
    3. Holds the cap down while you're pushing with the other hand.

Works great. Try it.

But don't your feet get cold?

What if you step on a rock or something?

Great tip! You gotta think out of the box sometimes.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind View Post
      While struggling with installing my fork spacers I came across an idea. (and it works)
      You know when you get it all lined up and try to drive it home, the cap spacer, washer etc. pops out and goes flying all over the garagemahal.
      Use a sock. Yes, thats right, a sock.

Put the spacers, cap and what have you on the fork and slide a sock over the whole mess. Pull down on the sock with one hand, push the fork cap in with the other. The sock does three things:
      1. Keeps it all from flying all over the garage if you don't get it all threaded up on the first try.
      2. Helps to put more pressure on the cap.
      3. Holds the cap down while you're pushing with the other hand.

Works great. Try it.
      Left sock or right sock? Or do you have to use the left sock on the left fork and vice-versa? \\/

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

Great tip! You gotta think out of the box sometimes.
      I don't think Jeff ever thinks IN the box..................not that there's anything wrong with that.
      IBA# 24077
      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

After doing this, I had you in mind, Brian.
        I'm not sure this'll work with those monster spacers you get it in there. Those are scary. :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
          Or do you have to use the left sock on the left fork and vice-versa? \\/
          Left fork, left sock. DUH!

Comment

So will we expect to see fork oil all over the SWOKZ trophy?? hehe

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
              So will we expect to see fork oil all over the SWOKZ trophy?? hehe
              No, something else will be broken by then. :-|

Comment

Bah...you keep that thing up too well to break it :P

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                  Bah...you keep that thing up too well to break it :P
                  Wrong. I abuse it...:-|

Comment

Well, it seems that its always running and running pretty well. I never hear tell of it being desperately broken. I dont think riding it WELL and hard is abusing it, its what its made for

Comment

Is that your left sock when standing looking at the bike from the front, or your left sock when sitting on the bike ?

This sounds like a good idea, after I figure out which left sock.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

use you mrs's pants, cant go wrong then lol
                        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

What if the sock has a hole in it?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Burke View Post
                            What if the sock has a hole in it?
                            All socks have a hole. You need to turn it over. ](*,)

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                              Is that your left sock when standing looking at the bike from the front, or your left sock when sitting on the bike ?

This sounds like a good idea, after I figure out which left sock.
                              Shifter side is always left. :roll: Man, you people are killing me up in here. ](*,)

Comment

Working...
                              X