nitrogen tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nitrogen tires?

any reason not to fill our tires with nitrogen?

Depends on how porous your rims are.
    Some combinations don't last long without a refill.
    It could get expensive.

Comment

Well

Regular, old, free air is slightly over 78% nitrogen. I'm at a loss for where the advantage is going to be. The free, readily available stuff keeps my tires happy.
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Really the only thing nitrogen has going for it is lack of moisture...
        It's very dry, which limits pressure change as the tire heats up...

That's why I use it at the track for my air shifter...it keeps moisture out of the air cylinders...
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Yes

Using pure nitrogen for tire pressure maintenance doesn't seem to me like something worth pursuing for a street rider. But, hey, if it sounds interesting, go for it!
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

a friend brought up the fact that alot of trail riders have been using nitrogen since you can get a small bottle with pretty respectable pressure, then carry the small can to reinflate as needed. struck me as interesting couldn't think of any reason not to, other than obviously cost. Wondered if there were any other downsides.

i actually have no idea how much it costs, but as i understand it ,the nitrogen will leak less.. i check my tires often, but in the year i've owned the bike i've never had to add air.. i might give it a shot :shrugs:

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
              Really the only thing nitrogen has going for it is lack of moisture...
              It's very dry, which limits pressure change as the tire heats up...

That's why I use it at the track for my air shifter...it keeps moisture out of the air cylinders...
              This is also why they use it in a lot of racecar tyres, particularly sprintcar (dirt speedway) rears, which generate a lot of heat due to friction.

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
                a friend brought up the fact that alot of trail riders have been using nitrogen since you can get a small bottle with pretty respectable pressure, then carry the small can to reinflate as needed. struck me as interesting couldn't think of any reason not to, other than obviously cost. Wondered if there were any other downsides.
                Using if for backup, no problem and good idea. Just fit tubes if you have slight leakage. Downsides, you have to pay for something that will not give you any noticeable added advantageous over air. Oh, you should also get a green valve cap then!
                Some tyre people here are making a packet with nitrogen filled tyres and four new green valve caps as an extra when fitting a new set!

Comment

Now if those valve caps were red, then you'd see a performance difference.

And if they were chrome...............

Comment

Those with led's that light up.. and you are #1!

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
                      Using if for backup, no problem and good idea.

that was the idea.. i don't have a leak, i'm just paranoid about longer trips and thought it'd be handy to have. assuming that it isn't expensive to get the bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
                        Now if those valve caps were red, then you'd see a performance difference...
                        So, that explains it....here I wondered if it was the new carbs/pods...

Tony.
                        '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                        Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Aircraft use nitrogen for the moisture reason mentioned earlier.
                          On the Late Models we just use compressed air and have a dryer installed in the line. Only using about 8psi, anyway.

Also, whenever filling tires You must be certain to use the proper type of air. Summer air in Summer, Winter air in Winter, etc.

For longer trips get a small cig lighter type compressor, about $15 at the local discount store.

Comment

Originally posted by Zook View Post
                            For longer trips get a small cig lighter type compressor, about $15 at the local discount store.

Yes, this. You can limp quite a ways with a slow leak if you can stop every 5 or 10 miles to pump in more air. You're never going to run out of air, and if you do, your bike won't run anyway.

And small air pumps are cheeeeeeeeeeeap compared to high-pressure nitrogen cylinders. Probably a lot safer, too.

I think the only advantage of the nitrogen cylinder would be convenience and speed -- if you're in the Paris-Dakar only a few minutes ahead of the pack, you can hop off and squirt in a little nitrogen a lot faster than hooking up an air pump.

However, the air pump can be pretty quick too -- just make or buy a harness that plugs into the connector you use for charging/maintaining the battery.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I use spring loaded clamps and clip it to the battery. One less wire hanging about.

Comment

Working...
                              X