Motorcycle GPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magellan Roadmate 1200

Amazon is selling the Magellan Roadmate 1200 (factory refurb) for $49 Not a bad price...

Comment

I have the Garmin Quest 2 with a motorcycle mount off of ebay rather cheap. Works rather well a little small display and a little hard to read in bright daylight. For the money I really cant complain.
      Here is a pic mounted on the 82 GS850L

Comment

Originally posted by haggis905 View Post
        Amazon is selling the Magellan Roadmate 1200 (factory refurb) for $49 Not a bad price...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DCEMV2/...0&linkCode=asn
        Here we are 3 months later, and it is now $65

Comment

Hey Neal,

Are there anymore mounts like that out there??? Do you have any contact info or model info. for the mount you are using? I'm trying to do the same thing. I don't have a fairing so i'm thinking the handle bars would be the next best option??? I have a Nuvi 200W.
          1979 GS850G
          2004 SV650N track bike
          2005 TT-R125 pit bike
          LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Originally posted by jmanz6 View Post
            I bought a Navigon 2100 for use on the motorcycle for $69. I was even able to hack it and use the Windows Mobile that it runs for the map software.
            How did you do that, please ?

Comment

RAM Mounts

I purchased a RAM Mount for my Magellan Roadmate 2000, and its great. Anyone looking for a good quality mount should check them out.

Nate

Comment

I saw the new Strike Genius in action at the Gold Coast show last month. Looks to be the goods. Software has been customised for the bike so it is easy to operate. Not sure on the price point yet. Anyone heard?

Comment

Ram mount and Garmin Street Pilot 2720. I haven't been able to get lost using it so it works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                    Ram mount and Garmin Street Pilot 2720. I haven't been able to get lost using it so it works for me.
                    I wound up buying another setup, which just happened to be a 2720 & Ram mount.
                    I like the setup very much.

Comment

I really like this thread. I have GPS navigators in almost everything I drive, and love 'em. I was going to start one with my recent research into the topic, but will add-on here instead.

In a nutshell, I'm looking to get the following functions on my next bike:
                      1) GPS with Bluetooth (BT) audio to be received in my helmet (actually had looked into voice command, but determined it was not feasible)
                      2) MP3 file player, audio in helmet as above
                      3) FM radio, audio in helmet as above
                      4) Handsfree phone via BT (very low priority for me- I hate cellphones, only have one since the wife *occasionally* has to pick me up when one of my project vehicles experiences a failure)

I won't get into the BT helmet issue, suffice it to say I will have stereo speakers via BT Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP, lets you stream stereo audio via BT) and a microphone.

After doing a lot of research and manual reading, here is what I've come up with:

If you want a decent GPS based system, the Garmin 765T is good. It has a 4.3" screen, A2DP, as well as FM audio output and will play MP3 files. It does not have an FM radio, so I excluded it.

Next was the Samsung Q1 "Ultra Mobile PC" or UMPC. This is a 7" diagonal (most GPS units are 3.5 to 4.3") touchscreen PC. I found one on ebay for around $200. It has a Windows OS, and BT A2DP. It can link via BT several devices. It does not have GPS built in or an FM radio- main drawback. This is an actual mini-computer and could be used while off the bike via the built-in Wifi or a 3G setup. The screen size is similar to tha of a modern double din car stereo.

An alternative would be the more modern (and expensive) Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android (there are 2 versions of this, the older Internet Media Tablet and the one I mentioned, you want the newer one). It also has A2DP and GPS is built-in as well as an FM radio application. The screen is 4.8", so it would be a good size for most tourers. I may still get one of these if the price is right. They are around $350 refurbished. You also have to cough up $40 to activate the GPS (lifetime price). I've read some bad reviews about the Archos GPS as far as performance. It runs the Andoid OS (1.6), so it has some upgrade options.

A very expensive option is a "ruggedized" tablet PC that is weatherproof. Panasonic makes one, and it is about $2700. These are probably too big for bike use.

Going the Samsung route, I need to add an external BT GPS receiver and software ($60 or so for Garmin mobile with BT receiver) and an FM radio. The latter can be done via one of the USB ports for around $20, or via the BT headset that can be added to most helmets.

With a custom mount on the bars or possibly the fairing, I'll have good access to the screen and can input/view data fairly easily. I'm thinking of a plate type system with velcro so the unit could be quickly removed in case of rain. The external GPS can reside out of the elements inside the fairing or in the trunk. The only item remaining once the PC is gone would be the power cord, and with a cigar outlet in the fairing, this could go also.

I will be documenting this upgrade with some photos once I find a bike. Not my first time for putting the cart before the horse.
                      Last edited by Guest; 05-01-2010, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X