How to pick up your downed bike.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to pick up your downed bike.

I poached this from the GTA forums contibuted by Busa. One of the better vids I've seen on the subject: http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=pPjYweKeiLk

Hope you never have to use it but if you do this will save your back.

Cheers all and keep riding safe.

Spyug

Good stuff. My ex learned this technique when she took a riding class last year however, she was still unable to pick up her 550L after she "gently" laid it over while slowly turning on grass... and that's a pretty light bike.
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

I think the video's excellent, and I feel like smacking myself for not thinking about why it would be any different picking the machine up from a right side laying position til he mentioned why.

I hope I'm not the only one, but I just can't keep a straight face any time the guy emphasizes that he has his "butt in the seat", just like that, every time he says it. Who knew one's butt would be so vital for things other than sitting on the bike?

And I'm surprised that lady Georgia couldn't get that bike up...she's bigger than the instructor!

And while it does seem sort of wrong to be laying on the ground as though you're hurt to get others to help, it could be the only way sometimes the way people just seem to avoid people in trouble on the road.

All kidding aside, though, this is a great find. Let's hope no one ever has to make use of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Overdrive View Post
        I think the video's excellent, and I feel like smacking myself for not thinking about why it would be any different picking the machine up from a right side laying position til he mentioned why.

I hope I'm not the only one, but I just can't keep a straight face any time the guy emphasizes that he has his "butt in the seat", just like that, every time he says it. Who knew one's butt would be so vital for things other than sitting on the bike?

And I'm surprised that lady Georgia couldn't get that bike up...she's bigger than the instructor!

And while it does seem sort of wrong to be laying on the ground as though you're hurt to get others to help, it could be the only way sometimes the way people just seem to avoid people in trouble on the road.

All kidding aside, though, this is a great find. Let's hope no one ever has to make use of it.
        Perhaps he is a smoker....and so is lady Georgia.....
        "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
        Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

The important thing is not to get all honked off, bend over and just yank the thing upright. A lot of people have hurt their backs that way.

I think it's also important to calm down and do a whole-body "systems check" if you fall off. With all kinds of accidents, it's pretty easy to be angry and embarrassed and not realize that you're hurt. Jumping up and bench-pressing a motorcycle could make things a lot worse.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            The important thing is not to get all honked off, bend over and just yank the thing upright. A lot of people have hurt their backs that way.

I think it's also important to calm down and do a whole-body "systems check" if you fall off. With all kinds of accidents, it's pretty easy to be angry and embarrassed and not realize that you're hurt. Jumping up and bench-pressing a motorcycle could make things a lot worse.
            Especially when you have torn cartilege in your knee....
            sigpic

SUZUKI:
            1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
            HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
            KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
            YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Dropped in the garage?

How many have tipped over or dropped their bike in the garage?
              I was looking at my EX500 once, and messed up trying to put it up on the center stand. It went over, but no way was I going to let go of the grip. I was strong enough to stop it, and pull it back up, but that bike weighs less than 400 lbs.
              Same story, different result with my GS1100G. I was just able to let it down slowly. Gas was running out the carbs as it lay there. I used the method describe in Motorcycling Excellence to lift it, but it took a few tries. That bike is upwards of 550lbs.
              That's one of the reasons I'm interested in light weight bikes again.
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                How many have tipped over or dropped their bike in the garage?
                I almost dropped my GS550 in the garage while learning how to put it up on center stand. The lesson cost me a strained right calf muscle, but I did manage to keep it up in the air.

Once you get the hang of using the natural leverage on the center stand lever, though, it's cake, even on a larger bike.

Brian

Comment

Seriously, I'm not trying to be a smart azz or anything but if you cant pick your bike up if it should fall over should you really be riding that bike? I dont care how you accomplish it forward, backward, or whatever........ I dont know just seems like a pointless video.
                  I mean really, if need instructions on how to pick your bike up I think you are in more trouble than you think.

Just my $.02

Comment

Check this out.

This gal is all of five feet nuthin and picks up a bike like it was nuthin.

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
                      Good stuff. My ex learned this technique when she took a riding class last year however, she was still unable to pick up her 550L after she "gently" laid it over while slowly turning on grass... and that's a pretty light bike.
                      Being off road with any bike adds to the problem of picking it up. I dumped my 550 L in beach sand in the camping area of a Deleware state park. Long story. Pants caught on peg, bike on leg and I can' t get it out from under the machine, fuel leaking from freshly topped off tank, hot engine and I'm close to a panic. All I could think of is damn this things gonna catch on fire. Calm down (easier said than done) finally work my leg out from under the bike. Can't pick it up cuz of all my gear. Strip the gear. Can't pick it up because I can't get a firm stance in the sand.

No one to around to help. Finally, God sends an 'angel' in the form of an old hippie guy (my age!) driving a brand new Ford pick up. Flag him down. pony tail hanging out of a Viet Nam Vet ball cap. Guy helps me lift the bike. I'm still shakin'. Bad situation man, freaked me out. The dude hung around to make sure I was gonna be OK before he split. Yeah, a 550L can be more than too heavy for one person. And skirt's 'answer' wouldn't work because the bike was on the wrong side of a slight slope and you cannot get enough purchase in dry beach sand. Sometimes it takes an angel to help you lift a downed bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Zook View Post
                        Check this out.

This gal is all of five feet nuthin and picks up a bike like it was nuthin.
                        That's the classic way to do it.
                        I'm strong but at 6'4", I have to get lower and bend my knees more too. I loose the leverage position her little frame has. She'd make a great partner, especially when she can afford a BMW.
                        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
                        X