Discolored exhaust pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discolored exhaust pipes

Finally got my 79 GS1000 running like it should after the PO sold it with a lot of small problems. Finally road ready, now to just get some decent days to ride will be the next problem. No sweat, there will be quite a few good ones here and there.

Question to the forum: Are there any tips or tricks you can pass along to help me get the blue coloring off the exhaust pipes? I think the bluing was caused by the carbs running way too rich.
    Does running lean cause a different color on the pipes?
    Thanks for any help you can pass along.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Yes, they will cause different colours. There's blue and goldish brown. Not much you can do once it's turned. Bike shops sell stuff to get rid of the colouring, but it just keeps coming back. All single walled pipes will turn colour after a certain amount of time. Not too much you can do about it other than maybe ceramic coat the insides when the pipes are new.

Comment

Ride the snot out of it until the pipes are covered in filth and bug guts...
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Yeah, I bought a kit to remove the bluing. It would change it from blue to a sort of golden brown. But, after a few rides, the blue was back. So, I just didn't bother with it any more.
        1982 GS1100GLZ Sold but still loved
        2008 Bandit 1250 Crashed (cager on a cell phone)
        2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          Ride the snot out of it until the pipes are covered in filth and bug guts...

Smart man.

Comment

I like blue pipes - makes it look as if you've ridden it hard!
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Blueing, while almost unavoidable in aftermarket single wall pipes, can also be a sign of a Lean-ness problem in side your combustion chamber. Blue pipes generally mean the exhaust is too hot, which is a sign that the air/fuel mixture is not right. Depending on how far DOWN the pipe the blueing goes, the more concerned I'd be. If its more than, say, the first inch and a half or so of the header pipes, I would be looking at the posibility of jetting changings. Just my .02...

Comment

Hi,

If you really want the blue gone, this stuff works the best.

For chrome so bright, you gotta wear shades!

It's takes some effort, but is much better than all the other products.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks Mr. Basscliff. Winter has landed in my little spot of North America for the time being so I will have plenty of time to work on this project. Good thing is, the weather will change back and forth a lot over the next 4-5 months.
                  As I write this it is now 37 degrees with a westerly wind blowing at 26 mph for a real feel of 19 degrees F.
                  Sucks being me at times.
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                  '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                  '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                  '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                  '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

A leaky intake can cause this too, no?
                    Dogma
                    --
                    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                      A leaky intake can cause this too, no?
                      Yes, an intake leak will cause a lean condition which causes excess heat.

BlueJob is the best. I have tried everything, and it does the job.
                      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                        BlueJob is the best. I have tried everything, and it does the job.
                        I used Blue Job on my bike. Be advised it takes a lot of rubbing, but it really works. Depending on how blue pipes are, it may take an hour or more on each pipe. It comes in a tiny plastic can with very little powder in it, but you don't have to use too much, so it's enough for at least one bike. You can find it on ebay for about $10 and I even saw it at my cycle shop (where I bought mine).

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                          Blueing, while almost unavoidable in aftermarket single wall pipes, can also be a sign of a Lean-ness problem in side your combustion chamber. Blue pipes generally mean the exhaust is too hot, which is a sign that the air/fuel mixture is not right. Depending on how far DOWN the pipe the blueing goes, the more concerned I'd be. If its more than, say, the first inch and a half or so of the header pipes, I would be looking at the posibility of jetting changings. Just my .02...

Not the be-all end-all explanation. The pipes on my 650 are blued. They're single thick walled pipes from Mike'sXS. That thing runs a perfect tan on the plugs, but them pipes still turned. Even ran them through a few quick heat cycles as suggested by many. Said annealing them would make them resist the blue. Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by rudy View Post
                            Not the be-all end-all explanation. The pipes on my 650 are blued. They're single thick walled pipes from Mike'sXS. That thing runs a perfect tan on the plugs, but them pipes still turned. Even ran them through a few quick heat cycles as suggested by many. Said annealing them would make them resist the blue. Ha!
                            I used an internal coating on my new Jardine pipes, the bike runs perfect, and they still turn a bit gold.
                            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                            79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Working...
                            X