No announcement yet.

Improvised cold weather gloves report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last year, I bought snomobile gloves only to find they are too thick and constrictive. I don't have good clutch or brake feel.

This year I bought heated grips but didn't install them as they are a hard plastic with no rubber cushioning. I just didn't like the way they feel.

For Xmas, I've got heated gloves on the list and hopefully they will work best. Mind you, for me, I might only get out a couple of times all winter so it might not even be worth it. I'm also finding the older I get the less I can tolerate cold. It is about 30F outside and 70F in my office. I've got on cords, long sleeved T, denim shirt and fleece sweat top......and I'm still chilly

Some one mentioned industrial type rubber gloves might work if worn over your regular leather ones. I think they would still be too bulky but we have a couple of industrial supply stores around so I may give that a looky looky.

Maybe I should just hibernate til April

Cheers all,
    Spyug

PS. I just realised I had posted some of this before. I wonder if always feeling cold also numbs the brain????
    Last edited by Guest; 11-19-2008, 12:53 PM.

Comment

You guys with cold hands/feet need to get a heated vest/jacket liner of some sort. In my opinion, if you are going to be serious about riding in cold weather, this is one thing you absolutely must own. The heated vest has allowed me to be comfortable in much colder weather than I was willing to ride in before, and not the way you expect. My feet stay warmer, my hands stay warmer, my head stays warmer. The physiology is simple- once your core temp begins to drop, your body begins to slow down the flow of blood to your extremities. This is why when you get cold, it's your hands and feet that feel it first and worst.

Oh, and Spyug- yes, absolutely your brain starts to work slower as well once you get cold. And the worst part? You don't even know it.

I can wear less gear with the heated vest. I can wear my summer weight gloves until about 50 degrees F, and I can wear my regular touring boots until about 40F.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I have a set of leather gauntlet style gloves I bought at a local bike leathers store. My ride home is about 20-25 min at mostly 45-50mph, and last night the temp was at 27deg. My fingertips got a bit cold but not achingly so.

Just need to get me a full face something fierce, just local shops don't ever carry size melon helmets.

Comment

Dogma, I rode some today, with the three glove set, and ran into the problem you anticipated... the nitrile fit okay bare, but are too tight over other gloves. I might try some larger nitrile for the barrier protection it offers.

I can totally understand the heated vest helping extremity temps,

and sadly, I can totally understand the lower core temp slowing down your brain. I used to be a downhill skier. As in I no longer downhill ski.

[begin tangent] When I was in college, I tore my left ACL at the end of a day of skiing (fortunately it was on the 5th day of a 7 day trip). I eventually had surgery to fix the ACL (patellar tendon graft).

A year or two after the surgery, I went skiing again. Tore my right ACL at the end of the day. Had to have it grafted, too.

Long story short, I would rather remain married to my smokin hot wife (Thank you, Baby Jesus) than go skiing and injure myself again.

Both of my injuries occurred at the end of the day, when my body was tired, when my brain was numb, and when the snow conditions are changing. My judgment was clouded, I am certain of this, and my reactions suffered.

[end tangent]

Bottom line, even with the glove setup I have now, I can comfortably ride in 20degree weather for twenty minutes or so. I'm good with that.

Full face, mos def. I got mine new on ebay for under $50.
          "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

The rubber gloves over wool/silk works better than the other way round as the rubber is windproof & helps to keep an air pocket in the wool/silk.

When against bare skin they do protect against the wind but do not really insulate as the rubber transmits the heat from your hand pretty well.

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I found out the nitrile gloves I have at home fit perfectly over my silk liners and under my regular leather gloves. The dexterity with the nitrile is pretty good, in fact, I'm typing this with them on. When I get a chance, I'm gonna test it out on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                I can wear less gear with the heated vest. I can wear my summer weight gloves until about 50 degrees F, and I can wear my regular touring boots until about 40F.
                Good point on the vest. Is it also a two-way street? It seems it should also easier to keep the core temp up if the extremities are warm.

What do you slednecks consider the warning sign for slowing brain? Uncomfortably cold, or any degree of cold sensation?
                Dogma
                --
                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                  Good point on the vest. Is it also a two-way street? It seems it should also easier to keep the core temp up if the extremities are warm.

What do you slednecks consider the warning sign for slowing brain? Uncomfortably cold, or any degree of cold sensation?
                  It's almost impossible to get cold on a snowmobile. Riding one is 100 times more physical than riding a streetbike. Almost all sleds have heated handgrips, and you sit with your feet in little footwells right next to the smoking hot motor. If you are cold on a sled you are doing it all wrong. I've ridden when it was 20 below zero and the biggest problem is staying dry with all the sweating you do.
                  Currently bikeless
                  '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

What do you slednecks consider the warning sign for slowing brain?
                    Anytime you holler "Hey guys watch this" That's a real good sign your brain has either slowed down from the cold or is under the influence of some other mind altering substance.

Comment

Working...
                    X