Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Useful information but hope never to have to use it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Useful information but hope never to have to use it.

Picked this up on our local forum GTA Motorcycle. An interesting and informative vid from the UK safety folks. I hope I never have to use it.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Ride safe folks.

Cheers,
    Spyug

I guess it's up to the experts as to whether that's safer than cutting it off the rider. They didn't mention anything about deciding if the helmet should be removed. I'm guessing you should leave it on unless the rider needs you to have access to his head. Any EMT's care to comment?
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

You do what works, that is one way of doing it, another is to cut the chin bar with a high speed from the firetruck, scooting the hands in over the ears, lots of ways, but only if the helmet is loose enough to do it. My helmets would require cutting the chin bar as they are SNUG
      Of course you always have to remove the cheek pads and chin dam first.
      Last edited by Guest; 11-11-2008, 12:12 AM. Reason: FORGOT

Comment

I didn't watch the video. What's it about?

Anyway, when I had my accident last year, I made sure I removed my helmet before anyone else showed up specifically because I didn't want to wear the damn thing for the next four hours. It was a Friday evening, and I didn't want to see how long it took them to find a neurosurgeon to clear me. My leg was broken, not my neck.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

You never, ever, ever remove someones helmet unless they require CPR and THEN do it like the video....having been first on scene to a number of accidents....my job in a situation like that is to keep everyone ELSE from trying to remove the helmet or move the victim...keep them still, and calm.....and wait for the pro's

Comment

I have dealt with cervical injuries as a primary care practitioner. It appears (to me) in this video that any injury to the spinal cord would have been worsened when the person who lifted the helmet did so.
            The individual stabilizing the victims c spine and cranium, in my opinion, did a good job, as the removal of the helmet resulted in very little movement of the c-spine or cranium. However, there is really no way to know in the early stages what injury has occurred. If there are fractures or dislocations of the spine which are impacting the spinal canal, there is no real way of knowing. The neurons are small, and it is likely impossible for the human eye (or a camera) to detect damaging movement.
            Therefore I agree that the only time a helmet should be removed is when the wearer can remove it themself, if the wearer is not breathing, or if the wearer needs CPR.
            If a person is simply unconcious, is breathing, and has a pulse, I think it would be very wise to leave them alone until trained personel arrive. If one suspects that there is damage to the spinal column I would spend my time monitoring vitals and planning how exactly to prevent further damage should the helmet have to be removed.
            This is just an opinion.
            S.

Comment

Working...
            X