No announcement yet.

Moisture Repellant/Coating for metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any auto parts store or the boat section of any Wally World will have fogging oil. Boaters use a lot of it.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

The best spray on product to protect your bike from corrosion is Corrosion X. Go to Corrosion Technologies website for info. It is dialectric and won't harm your plastic parts. Great to treat electrical connections as well. Used a lot on Aircraft operated around salt water.
      Dan

Comment

Hey MissFab,

Ever winter, I've always used fogger in my boat motors, and it
        certaintly does its job, but be forewarned that it is not going to start first
        pull come spring time. Remember that you fogged her before start changing
        settings to get 'er to start, or you'll have a lousy time of it. (Know that firsthand)

Comment

Originally posted by Shaughn View Post
          Hey MissFab,

Ever winter, I've always used fogger in my boat motors, and it
          certaintly does its job, but be forewarned that it is not going to start first
          pull come spring time. Remember that you fogged her before start changing
          settings to get 'er to start, or you'll have a lousy time of it. (Know that firsthand)
          Ahhh - this is good to know - thanks! She doesn't like to start after sitting as it is. Now if I had just remembered to pick up some of the stuff when I was in stupid Walmart today!

Comment

Originally posted by wazz View Post
            Getting bike off the concrete makes a big difference, plywood on top of plastic sheeting works well and holds off some condensation.
            This is one of those "heard it from an old racer" things so it must be true.....

-greg

It is true.

"If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
            Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Good read

CONCLUSIONS
              Our saltwater test is admittedly harsh, and quickly produced results. After three days, most of the steel coupons were significantly rusty. Only three saltwater test panels showed no corrosion—those coated with CorrosionPro Lube, CRC Heavy Duty, and LPS-3. Of the remainder, the Boeshield T-9 panel showed the least corrosion, followed by the cured Shark Hide. (The cured vs. non-cured results support the notion that it pays to follow instructions. Most non-cured sides mimicked the control panel.) In the freshwater test, the Shark Hide remained rust free. It might be the answer for stainless steel rigging, stern rails, etc., because it leaves no sticky residue—however, it’s an expensive solution. At 63˘ per ounce, CRC gets the Budget Buy nod. For day-to-day use, loosening sticky mechanical parts, or softening greasy deposits, WD-40 works and is inexpensive.

Comment

WD40 is "ok" for suppressing mositure, however WD40 will "dissapate" over time and not be as effective.
                For years I've been using an awesome product called Bombadier Lube:

This stuff is amazing at how well it creates a barrier film to hinder condensation and corrossion when you have cold nights and warm days. Bombi Lube also lasts a LONG time once you spray it on. Bombi Lube is primarly used on Jet Ski's that are used out in the ocean that suffer from salt corrosion.

Comment

i used wd-40 for a small block i was storing in the garage, it was just the block so i didnt want it to get rusty, sprayd it with WD but it seems to evaporate over time i i would spray it once and a while plus i had plastic over the block, 3 years later and it was still shinny.

as for storying yer bikes i would just do like everyone i know does, cover it with a few blankets, these will take up most of the moisture and keep dust off of them

Comment

Originally posted by NetBSD View Post
                    ....... cover it with a few blankets, these will take up most of the moisture and keep dust off of them
                    If you put some silica gel dessicant sachets under the blankets the bike will stay bone dry.

Hydrosorbent offers moisture control products and solutions for prolonging the life of goods in transit and storage. Protection from mold, mildew, rust & corrosion.

Comment

The moisture isn't really falling from the air it comes from the air warming up and the moisture in the air condensing. Blankets won't help when the moisture condenses from the air other than it will soak up some of it. Covering will keep the dust and dirt off for sure which makes the moisture that does condense very messy. The dessicant bags work great but only if the bike is completely enclosed otherwise they are trying to dehumidify the entire airspace. I had some HUGE bags I used to throw inside my Datsun for the winter to keep the interior from smelling musty while it was stored. You can even reuse them by heating them up and drying them out in the oven.

Comment

Working...
                      X