Anyone pull an engine by themselves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone pull an engine by themselves?

Well the title kinda says it all. I'd like to eventually pull the engine for paint and cleanup but can't seem to figure out a good way to do it by myself. Engine weighs more than the wife so she's no help!

Yes. But mine weighs just a little less than yours.

Comment

yep i do it on my own all the time & i'm only a skinny guy

If the bike is staying together apart from pulling the engine i undo all the bolts etc with a jack & a bit of wood under the sump, jack it up & wriggle it out the side onto a beer crate, its pretty easy to move from there but the first bit can be a struggle till you've done it a few times

If the bike is getting a complete strip down, i remove everything exept the engine & swingarm while its on a paddock stand & axle stands then lower it to the floor, undo the engine bolts, roll the whole lot on its side & pick the frame off the engine

hope that helps

Comment

With the bike stripped, (no bodywork, no carbs, no oil) lay the bike on it's side, a flat car tire make a great engine landing pad.
        Take the last couple bolts out ('cause you've already got 'em loose,) pull the bike up off the engine.
        Watch the fins, they break easy.

Comment

Yup...I've done it very similar to what Tone said....

Not to tough...and I'm an old, out of shape, skinny guy myself...
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Just did it. Thought about the on the side method, but I was able to Conan it out through the right side. It's heavy, but not THAT heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
              Just did it. Thought about the on the side method, but I was able to Conan it out through the right side. It's heavy, but not THAT heavy.
              My "flop" method is best suited to parts bikes.

Comment

I've used the "Conan" (AKA "Hulk Smash") method a couple of times by myself to remove and reinstall engines, but I'm big and probably stupid. Removal's not that bad, but the first time I reinstalled an engine by myself, I cried for my momma before it was all over.

The old tire method is best. And pay attention to which side the engine is designed to come out on. It's important....
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Just did my first one...

Pulled carbs,breather cover, chain and of course all engine mounts\bolts. Jacked up the engine and wrestled it out the right side and flopped on to a 4 inch thick piece of construction type foam block.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    I've used the "Conan" (AKA "Hulk Smash") method a couple of times by myself to remove and reinstall engines, but I'm big and probably stupid. Removal's not that bad, but the first time I reinstalled an engine by myself, I cried for my momma before it was all over.

The old tire method is best. And pay attention to which side the engine is designed to come out on. It's important....
                    Yeah gonna get some help for the return trip.

Comment

done it on a couple of bikes, 01 gsxr750, 05zx6r, 79 xlch sportster, 2 gs450s, ktm525exc, rm125. un-bolt and man-up, not the easiest but it works. wear gloves

Comment

Originally posted by Richharr View Post
                        done it on a couple of bikes, 01 gsxr750, 05zx6r, 79 xlch sportster, 2 gs450s, ktm525exc, rm125. un-bolt and man-up, not the easiest but it works. wear gloves

Damn, it's those little details that make all the difference in the amount of blood you lose...
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          Damn, it's those little details that make all the difference in the amount of blood you lose...
                          +1 from me on that too Brian. Small details I always forget until the claret starts to flow.

Comment

Only thing I'll add is to get a 4 wheel dolly or small pallet to slide the motor onto after you get it out of the frame. This helps keep you're move almost level and makes it easier to move around the shop.

1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
                            The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

One thing i found helpfull on my 1000 is to take the cam breather tube and cap off the top first. When i pulled mine i kept getting it wedged in there and having that cap off the top of the engine bought me an inch that help a ton!

Comment

Working...
                              X