What's in your garage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's in your garage?

So, I'm just getting started with my new-to-me 1979 GS750, and I'm realizing that I will have to go out and buy some tools and what not to be able to do all that I will need to do to get my bike in shape and then to maintain it.

My question to you vets out there, is what would you say is a list of 'must have's' and a list of 'nice to have's' as far as tools or diagnostic devices. If you know approximate or relative cost for each of these that would be helpful too.

Anyone have in input on this?

Have to have tools!!!

Originally posted by StevieD View Post
    So, I'm just getting started with my new-to-me 1979 GS750, and I'm realizing that I will have to go out and buy some tools and what not to be able to do all that I will need to do to get my bike in shape and then to maintain it.

My question to you vets out there, is what would you say is a list of 'must have's' and a list of 'nice to have's' as far as tools or diagnostic devices. If you know approximate or relative cost for each of these that would be helpful too.

Anyone have in input on this?
    Torque wrenches are a must!!! Both large (in foot pounds) and small (in inch pounds), unless you want to do a lot of swearing and spending money on Healey coils..... (Yup, I learned the hard way)

Comment

Apart from the obvious spanners / sockets / screwdrivers etc I'd suggest:

Impact driver (£10) - must have if the bike's still fitted with JIS screws - replace all these with allen bolts if you can.

Carb balancer (£80) - makes all the difference to getting a bike running sweetly.

Colourtune (£25) - had mine 30 years and swear by it. Others have mixed views so I'm only talking from personal experience.

Mole grips (£10) - for when that blo*dy bolt or screw has lost its head. Accompanied by penetrating oil and a gas torch as those bolts and screws have been in there for 30 years.

Torque wrench - buy the most expensive you can afford and look after it carefully. A must for head nuts, though I admit that's all I ever use mine on.

No need to buy a valve shim tool - the zip tie (10p) method works very well (better I think).

(Sorry the prices are in £s.)
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

A Morgan Carbtune is way-nice to have available. The exchange rates are favorable right now, so they're under $100. You also need the long screwdriver/locknut carb synchronizer adjuster thingy.

Check around near you -- if there are friendly GS-ers in your neighborhood, you could split the cost. It's not a tool you need all that often. The same applies to valve adjustment tools and shims.

As far as general tools, I'd have to say that having a selection of good quality metric taps, dies, drill fits, a thread file, thread gauge, and accurate measuring calipers has bailed me out of innumerable jams. I like Harbor Freight for some things, but for taps and dies, you really need to invest in much better quality than that. When you're dealing with older bikes, fastener problems are part of the territory.

I've also accumulated a wide selection of metric nuts, washers, and bolts (mostly stainless), as well as o-rings, cotter pins, and other miscellanea, all of which save a lot of time over traipsing to the hardware store.

My Dremel tool also gets a TON of use. I also have several "special" tools I've made myself out of cheap Harbor Freight pliers, sockets, clamps, etc., like a valve stem seal puller, valve spring compressor, steering stem bearing remover, etc.

If you want to tackle changing your own tires, the tools are quite inexpensive, aside from the air compressor.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

You should also have a quailty hand Impact tool, PB blaster, anti-sieze, green & blue loctite, contact cleaner, dielectric grease, spade terminals, shrink wrap tubing, and a multimeter for the electrics. I also have some 1/4 inch six point sockets in both regular and deep well that I use on almost everything and six point metric wrench sets are also very handy. As Brian said check with some other GS'ers in your area, here in Hoosierland we have a carbtune, colortune, and valve shim kit logging some heavy traveling miles from north to south. If you are real lazy (like me) one of these is nice or something similar.

82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
          81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
          83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
          06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
          AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Tool box.

Originally posted by StevieD View Post
            I'm not giving prices because, you should do that.
            Basic:
            Repair manual for your bike.
            Basic tool kit: Screw drivers, pliers adjustable wrench, Allen wrench set, drill.
            Brand name: set of combination wrenches, ASE and Metric.
            Brand name: 3/8" drive socket wrench kit, ASE and Metric
            Brand name: 1/2" drive socket wrench, kit, or buy the sockets as you need them.
            Brand name: 3/8" and 1/2" torque wrenchs, beam type is fine.
            Multi meter
            2nd level:
            Carb synchronizer
            Colortune®
            More tools required as you get more involved.
            A very good brand name would be Sears Craftsman.
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

a flashlight

extendable magnet. (it's easy to lose things down in places where your fingers are too big to go)

shop rags

Comment

tools

Have something like this:

Comment

tools

You could probably use these too!!

Comment

AIR COMPRESSOR!! Even a small one.
                    1/2 inch drive AIR IMPACT GUN!!
                    1/2 inch drive IMPACT SOCKET SET!! Harbor Freight for 20 bucks!
                    Ray.

Comment

compression tester,

also - beer fridge, spittoon, chicks on bikes calendar, sledge hammer, tunes...
                      2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                      82 gs1100L probably the next project
                      1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                      1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

When buying a torque wrench i would suggest one with the rod and not one with the clicker. The ones with the rod never have to be adjusted

Comment

a set of open end racheting box end wrenches are real handy not a must but a true blessing micrometer is nice to

Comment

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
                            also - beer fridge, tunes...

Essentials. Beer must be cold and tunes must be rockin'.

Comment

IV Stand - great for auxillary fuel tanks, carb stix, test meters and more. They have a heavy weighted base, wheels that roll easily, they are height adjustable and have curly hooks on the top to easily secure things.

Pizza trays... large sheet pizza trays are great for putting under bikes when working on them, or for storing parts on when disassembling engines. The deep lip help scontain any fluids.

Comment

Working...
                              X