No announcement yet.

Another Centerstand Method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still need to get a video of me using the rebound of the front shocks to bounce up onto centerstand while still on the bike... 8O

Comment

Here's a hint, do not use the seat grab bar to lift the bike onto the centrestand. I tore off my seat and broke my seat lock in two different spots doing that. 8O The bike was facing downhill so it needed a bit of coaxing but I nearly dropped her when the seat ripped off! From now on I use the grab rail under the frame.

Cheers, Steve

Comment

Maybe it's 'cause I fat, but all I have to do is stand on the side peg of the center stand and pull back on the handlebars.

Comment

Originally posted by ringo00
          Maybe it's 'cause I fat, but all I have to do is stand on the side peg of the center stand and pull back on the handlebars.
          Ha! I've had my '83 GS750ES for a few years but it's only this year that I've gotten it together and ready to ride. (almost, I'm sure I'll be posting some interesting questions in the coming weeks)
          But I'll tell ya my secret for learning how to get it up on the center stand... try it over and over on a concrete garage floor and wonder why the hell you can't do it.... I mean its a stand, it should go right up, right?

Its one of those questions I was loath to post here on the Forum... one day I hope to convince y'all that I know what I'm talking about and I can just see someone digging that thread up from the distant past..... "Say guys, how to you get this beast up on the stand?"

Anyway now I just stand to the left side, step on the stand lever and pull back and up on the bars. Works like a charm...even on concrete.

Ask me about how I teach people to drive a stick shift sometime....
          Mac

Comment

I know I only have a 450, which is light compared to some of your machines, but I found that using a certain technique reduces the effort needed to put it on the center stand.

The first few times I tried, I had a heck of a time. Now, I barely think about it. In fact, I usually don't have to lift at all, just steady the frame.

I put down the sidestand, and get off the bike. I face the left side of the bike with my left hand on the left handlebar, holding the wheel straight. My left foot is about 8 inches forward of the side stand, perpendicular to the bike (facing it from the side). I hold the grab bar on the rear of the bike with my right hand and push the bike into an upright position.

I press down on the center stand with my right foot until both legs are level on the ground, then step firmly on the stand, which lifts the bike up onto the stand. I use my hands to keep the bike level, and to rock it backward somewhat. I find that you need to really step down with some force on the centerstand, and when you do, there really is no lifting necessary.

Matt D

Comment

It was getting harder and harder for me to get the bike on the centerstand too. The next thing I knew, half the centerstand was hanging on the ground! It had broken in half. The reason was that the bolts holding the stand had become loose, and the misalignment was causing the hard pull up This also caused stress on the metal and eventual failure.

A brand new used centerstand solved the hard pull-up problem.

FYI,
              Ace.

Comment

Even using this method it usually takes me and my dad to get the bike on the stand. I take the position your talking about, and he pulls straight back on the rear grab bar.

Originally posted by BigMattyD
                I know I only have a 450, which is light compared to some of your machines, but I found that using a certain technique reduces the effort needed to put it on the center stand.

The first few times I tried, I had a heck of a time. Now, I barely think about it. In fact, I usually don't have to lift at all, just steady the frame.

I put down the sidestand, and get off the bike. I face the left side of the bike with my left hand on the left handlebar, holding the wheel straight. My left foot is about 8 inches forward of the side stand, perpendicular to the bike (facing it from the side). I hold the grab bar on the rear of the bike with my right hand and push the bike into an upright position.

I press down on the center stand with my right foot until both legs are level on the ground, then step firmly on the stand, which lifts the bike up onto the stand. I use my hands to keep the bike level, and to rock it backward somewhat. I find that you need to really step down with some force on the centerstand, and when you do, there really is no lifting necessary.

Matt D

Comment

I have never lifted a bike onto its centre stand but i have pushed down with my foot to get the bike up onto the stand. Seems to work as i worked in a bike tyre shop for over 7 yrs and some of the customers wanted to help but told them dont worry and watched as there jaw dropped when i put the bike on to the stand. Gold-wings and stuff like that. (6ft 2 and 84kgs)

Comment

You literally need to STAND on the CENTER STAND to get it to lift up on its own. Now, I know that at 290 lbs. I have an advantage over you skinny punks, but I don't even put my full weight on the pedal. What I do though, is step on it with authority. like... "who's your daddy?

P.S. Hard core Harley riders in Brain Bucket half-helmets probably mock me when I ride by and givew them the wave, but watch them try to get their bikes up on to the stand....

Ha HA.. here comes the respect, brothers and sisters...

Matt

Comment

The easiest way I found to get the bike upon the center stand is to install Progresive Suspension. The bike actually stands about 1 1/2 (?) inches higher and it rolls onto the stand very easy. Handles better too. (When not on the center stand.)

Comment

When I first got my bike I had a very hard time getting it onto the center stand without help. It has a nice after market seat that makes it nearly imposible to grab the handle or the frame under the seat. Then I was kinda frustrated one day and didn't even get off the bike. All I did was put my foot down on the peg and pull back. It rolled on so easy I haven't done it any other way sine. Now I almost always park it on the center stand (except at work where I park on a hill where things could get very scary very quick if I slipped.)

Comment

I finally needed to get the bike on the centerstand lastnight (Oil Change + Replacement Posts for the Oil Filter Cover) and tried the 2x6 method. It worked almost flawlessly. This is a great tip. Should be found in more places on the web.

Comment

Working...
                          X