Gas tank mount...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas tank mount...

I took off my tank to do a valve adjustment (sheared a bolt on top, not sure how to get it out, ugh!). I noticed the mounting point to the chassis on the top was two massive blobs of masking tape. I unwound 5 feet on this stuff to find nothing... What to do. Well I did the only thing a true cafe racer inspired project would do... I figured a way to do it CHEAP! I found a way to make 2 for under $2. Go to your big box hardware store, buy a package of 2 adhesive door bump stops

Get a razor blade, and cut off the back and the flange.

You can actually just hand press these on and they work swimmingly...

Ta Dah!

< APPLAUSE >

good one.

Comment

I used some shock stud bushings I had laying around. pretty much any will work, I just used a razor to trim it narrow enough to fit. now it's perfectly snug. pics later.

Comment

Now I feel like a tool for ordering new OEM bushings for $1.50 each...
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Lol ..

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          now i feel like a tool for ordering new oem bushings for $1.50 each...
          ]]]]]]]]

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            Now I feel like a tool for ordering new OEM bushings for $1.50 each...
            I actually have the OEM bushing on the other side and this is MUCH tighter a fit, plus mine was $1.49 for both! I don't have a Suzuki shop anywhere near me (the one in my town closed during this economic downturn) It is like a 40 mile round trip to the next one, so I am just trying to help out people who don't have dealers around them. Plus I just get a warm fuzzy feeling fabricating stuff. You should have seen the bumper I built for my 1989 Dodge Ramcharger. I got 3 x 4 metal stock and welded it to brackets and went to a muffler shop and had them bend a light bar hoop out of 1.5 " tubing on their mandrel bender. That freaking thing weighed about 100 pounds, as did the rear flat one. I got rear ended at 60 miles an hour by a woman in a van. Her car was totaled. I drove to the golf course after and played 18...

Comment

Working...
            X