vernier caliper ( beware dumb ???)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vernier caliper ( beware dumb ???)

Going to measure cam chain,problem is my caliper only goes to 150mm or 6 in. Would it be o. k. to split measurement say measure 75mm mark then measure from there to end of the 23 links or is that bad idea.dont want to buy another one, the price really jumps from the 6 in to 8 in. caliper.plus no one has 8.in. caliper around me for sale would have to order over net.I know its dumb thing to ask So stop yelling at me!!!

Originally posted by ramrod400 View Post
    Going to measure cam chain,problem is my caliper only goes to 150mm or 6 in. Would it be o. k. to split measurement say measure 75mm mark then measure from there to end of the 23 links or is that bad idea.dont want to buy another one, the price really jumps from the 6 in to 8 in. caliper.plus no one has 8.in. caliper around me for sale would have to order over net.I know its dumb thing to ask So stop yelling at me!!!
    just buy a new cam chain. cheaper than a new vernier and you know you are safe
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

thats crossed my mind,dont want change cam chain if i dont have to.because i am leary of master links and dont want to split cases. probably would not ever run again

Comment

thats crossed my mind,dont want change cam chain if i dont have to.because i am leary of master links and dont want to split cases. probably would not ever run again
        you arent gonna measure it properly if its still in the engine! why measure it in the first place if you then decide you need a new one?
        people have a bad view of split link chains but if fitted CORRECTLY they will not give you any grief. people will disagree with me but its all down to personal choice
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

What engine is it and how many miles?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

i thought you could measure them still in the engine. 83 1100 not sure about miles po had no speedo cable on in for 3 or 4 years but it has 27,000 hard miles.there is some chatter and the chain has some play between the cams more than I think there should be so I was going to check it out.
            Last edited by Guest; 10-08-2009, 02:54 PM.

Comment

there is some chatter and the chain has some play between the cams more than I think there should be so I was going to check it out.
              Is the cam chain tensioner working correctly?
              Chains should last a lot more miles than that.

Comment

tensioner will be check. po had bike shop re- furbished it, her words not mine.she said x boyfriend ran the $$#@! out of it.I can move the chain about 3/4 of a inch up and down between cams.I just thought on other bikes i had there was hardly any slack there

Comment

tensioner will be check. po had bike shop re- furbished it, her words not mine.she said x boyfriend ran the $$#@! out of it.I can move the chain about 3/4 of a inch up and down between cams.I just thought on other bikes i had there was hardly any slack there
                  See if the screw on the left side of the tensioner was not released, does the big thumbwheel on the right side of the tensioner move freely? A worn chain can't make it go slack like that if the tensioner is working... Probably the bike shop that refurbished it did not have a clue how to do it.

x boyfriend running the $$#@! out of it won't hurt a thing, we all do that.

Comment

Working...
                  X