Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pete View Post
    I hate to say it, but a small easy out for those bolts that snap and screw heads that get chewed out and have to be drilled out... and there'll be a new thread in here in a minute where I'll be asking how to get out a broken easy out...

Cobalt Steel drill bits and luck! OR.... don't use them! Drill the bolt the whole way out - CS drill bits will cut through the studs a lot better than standard HSS or titanium. And I would avoid the easy outs entirely, they're really tough steel, tougher than HSS, and are a nightmate to remove.
    The other option is to not break them! Heh.... good luck with that though.

Comment

Thanks William, if only I had've known that earlier

Anyway, I'll be looking for something like this today or tomorrow I hope if I can get some time.

I'll also be trying the tungsten carbide tip for the dremel if I can find one.
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I was looking for this exact with rally season coming up and I want to have tools with me. This is the solution it seems small and compact for long trips love it.

Comment

You've got my phone number, right? I'm right across town, you know.

Other than the basic mechanical and cleaning tools, the thing I find the handiest day to day is a good stock of stainless metric fasteners, or at least a nearby Ace hardware. I have an ironclad rule in my garage about those nasty evil philips head screws -- they get measured and go directly into the trash.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

How did we get to post #20 without anyone else mentioning:

Volt-ohm meter ! ?

<< later note. Okay, now I see an "amp meter" was mentioned before.
            But nowhere in the stator papers nor anywhere else do you measure "amps".
            Do definaitly want to measure volts and ohms, and some intstructions call for using "diode test".
            Last edited by Redman; 01-12-2010, 10:03 PM. Reason: add later note.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Ok, now to thoroughly myself. If I only knew how to use a volt-meter of ANY type. Yes I know, some of you will say, its easy. I will as well once I learn. Anything more than a simple test light for some reason is confusing to me. Redman thanks for mentioning it I'm sure somebody will be more than delighted to teach me.

Bwinger, I have been told from a very good friend of yours and mine (Larry) that you are a great resource and I plan to ask you alot of things once I needs to. I just don't like to invite myself. ( afraid of becoming a pain in the backside)

To all that have responded to my thread, THANKS. I have put a list together of things I need with priority going to less cost expense to more costly items. And as I have read, the search link will be my most used tool.

** I also will needs to get a manual, that is probably my number one priority **
              Last edited by Guest; 01-13-2010, 03:01 PM. Reason: insert manual

Comment

Sam,

If everything goes as planned, Brian and I are going to be reassembling my 750 this weekend in my garage. (BTW, I have heat now) If you're not at the firehouse and want to drive to the westside, you're more than welcome to stop by. Just give me a call before driving over, just to make sure we're working on it.
                Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I do LOTS of carb work & one of my MOST used tools is a 4x3 muffin pan. 4 rows of 3 holes to do racks of 4 carbs with. It keeps everything organized & in one place so parts don't get lost. I wouldn't take a set of carbs apart without it. I have numbered my tin 1-4 so each carb's parts stay in it's own numbered area. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                    I do LOTS of carb work & one of my MOST used tools is a 4x3 muffin pan. 4 rows of 3 holes to do racks of 4 carbs with. It keeps everything organized & in one place so parts don't get lost. I wouldn't take a set of carbs apart without it. I have numbered my tin 1-4 so each carb's parts stay in it's own numbered area. Ray.
                    Or ya can just do it the rookie way, one at a time
                    sigpic

82 GS850
                    78 GS1000
                    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                    .................________-|___\____
                    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Ive used egg cartons, gonna have to invest in some bakewear now...

Comment

You guys are just cracking me up. Seriously though, I have a video from someone on here that shows the bakeware and carb stuff. I also have the video about the table saw helping with putting valves back in the heads with the keepers. I think he used bakeware on that as well. (Keepers is hillbilly talk for stays or whatever they are called ) Whenever I see something on here I save the link and trying to build my own library. I'm just very timid at fixing something for the first time solo. I know I can't break it if its already broke but I can make it worse.

Larry, I really appreciate the offer but I'm at the firehouse on Saturday but I can come over on Sunday but doubtful if you guys are doing anything. But if so let me know and I'm pretty sure my honeydo list is done and completed by then.

But all in all, I do know one thing for sure. If I need help, and I know I will, all I have to do is take some pics, post them and ask the questions if I can't find the answer and I will get all the help I need.

Comment

Working...
                        X